Weight loss with PCOS

Options

Replies

• Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have PCOS and I haven't been below 160 since I hit puberty. I dodged a lot of the serious symptoms, and but I have that hard-to-lose weight one and infertility. I used to kill myself doing the same thing you're describing. I was eating 1200 a day and doing cardio 5x a week. EXACTLY what you said you were doing. It worked, but it wasn't a lifestyle I could maintain...I injured myself, so I fell off it and shot back up to 191 over a year.

Pay attention to these forums. These folks have a lot of really good advice, and you'll notice that the time frame for all these things happening isn't 5 weeks and 4 months ect. This isn't the biggest loser and this isn't from Fit to Fat to Fit. The weight didn't go on in 5 weeks and it sure as hell ain't coming off that quick either. Be patient with yourself and be gentle with yourself. Don't go cry in the bathroom if you have a moment of weakness and eat that massive bowl of buffalo chicken mac n cheese at a restaurant with your friends even though you had a cheat meal already that week. If you're consistent with your logging and exercise it ultimately wont matter if you slip up every few weeks and have an extra cheat in.

It may seem like an exercise in frustration, but I log my weight every day. It goes up and down willy nilly and sideways, especially after I work out, but after about 45 days you can look at that neat chart and see that all the dots are very slowly getting lower. It actually kinda became encouraging.

Find exercise that's not at the gym to break things up. Join a dance class (belly dancing is GREAT for muscle isolation), get your yoga on, or join a roller derby team. Whatever floats your boat. Something that's fun and doesn't even feel like exercise. I take a martial arts on saturday and sunday, and only go to the gym three days a week during the week...sometimes two.

Oh, and one more thing. Pick a goal that's not "be sexy." We all want that, and if you're suffering from any sort of down days it's a lot easier to be like "*kitten* it I love who I am the way I am," and give up. Nothing against loving yourself now, but it's not conducive to being motivated. If you pick something like "I want to play basketball with my son" or "I want to go on a 7 day backpacking trip through the Arizona bush with 3 friends and don't want to slow them down." or "I want to get a black belt in Judo." Well, that's something that's a lot less daunting, more attainable, and doesn't depend on other people's opinions of you.

I am losing weight to become a police officer. That's what drives me. Find something that drives you besides the number on the scale and the dress size. Then everything becomes easier to start.
    [edited for a typo]
  • DeanBuggy
    DeanBuggy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and have just started my own weight loss journey. I'm doing low carb (like super low 20-35 carbs a day) and high protein, I'm down almost 6 pounds in one month. I basically force my body into ketosis. Where keystones in my blood are forced to burn fat stores for energy because I'm not giving by body the carbs it's used to making energy from. It's not for everyone and those predisposed to diabetes should definitely not try it. But it's working for me. I also started Couch to 5K. Because if there ever where a couch potato...it's me. You should add me as a friend. I'd like to keep up!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    cizzim wrote: »
    Even at 1400-1600 calories I'd say you're not eating enough which normally makes weight loss plateau. I think you should aim for at least 2000 calories a day considering your weight and how much you exercise. You're going to exhaust yourself at this rate- you're not giving your body enough fuel for all that exercise. as you lose weight you can slowly start cutting calories more but I definitely think you need to increase and I reckon you'll find you will start losing more weight. Good luck! :)

You don't fail to lose weight because of a lack of calories. You don't lose more weight by eating more calories.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    JackiLean wrote: »
    Recently, I went to a holistic nutritionist about my PCOS weight issues. He put me on a nutrition plan and I lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks.

Basically, our insulin resistance stems from an overworked pancreas. This happens because it's trying to digest foods our body was never made to eat:

Dairy
    Refined sugar
    Processed foods

By cutting these out and eating 100% vegetable and lean protein diet (no nuts or fruits for the first 3 weeks), I was able to lose crazy fast. It's all about getting rid of bad yeast called Candida. That stuff is literally stopping your body from behaving normally. Our overworked pancreas is a symptom of this problem. Candida feeds off of sugar, so the more sugar you eat, the more you let your candida yeast thrive. It's gross.

Good luck!

If you have a yeast infection, get treated for a yeast infection. Candida is not what causes people to gain weight.
    It honestly doesn't even make consistent sense. If the yeast is eating the sugar, you aren't. Saying a yeast overgrowth is eating up your sugar causing weight gain would be like saying you gained weight from getting a tapeworm.
  • RebelHips
    RebelHips Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh, PCOS is the WORST.
    I feel ya.

It took me 2 years to lose 80lbs and it was hard and strict as heck! No processed foods, very light (natural) sugar, light dairy, amped up protein, daily exercise (usually an intense walk 45 mins a day) and no meat (though I've been vegetarian for a while anyway). Absolutely no cheating or wiggle room.

So, it's possible, but I've gotta be stringent about it.
    My period came back after I shed about 45lbs and I noticed a reduction in body hair at about -60lbs. I've gained 45lbs back and am struggling to lose 'em again.

Someone mentioned that when we have PCOS, this is a life long battle. Sadly, I believe that's accurate.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS and just ate whatever I wanted within my calorie count, my weight loss was roughly on track for what I was estimating (I had a lot of guestimated meals and guestimated cardio calorie burns; now that I'm no longer doing excessive cardio, my weight loss is even easier). I've lost 72 pounds in about a year's time, I went from obese to healthy weight, my cysts are gone and no other symptoms remain.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    wesheets wrote: »
    I stopped taking Metformin because of the horrendous gastrointestinal issues. I was only on 1000 mg/day. I'm now wondering if that's my only hope for weight loss....
    It can take a while for your body to adjust to metformin--my doctor started me on 500 mg once a day, then twice a day after a couple of weeks, then gradually increased it over a month. It really helped me tolerate it, especially because I make a point of only taking it with a meal. It's really the only thing that made me finally feel FULL instead of feeling like I was always starving no matter how much I ate! I thought: gee, so that's how people without PCOS feel. :)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i'm losing weight with PCOS and hypothyroidism - i currently take metformin 1500 mg/day and synthroid 100 mcg/day. i have not cut out any specific food or food groups (should add that i'm not insulin resistant). i workout 5-6/days a week, lifting heavy and doing moderate amounts of cardio. it is possible, but definitely takes time.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high healthy fat, no processed foods, no soda (even diet), cut out that fake sugar junk, lots of exercise. I mean, exercise will be your 2nd job.

Find a sport/activity that you LOVE and do it a lot. Those of us with PCOS tend to do better when we put hours a day into fitness. I laugh at my doctor when she says to try and get 30 minutes a day. More like 10 hours! 10 hours of working at the barn every day and riding got the weight off for me and I'd definitely rather spend 10 hours doing something I like than spending that much time on a treadmill >.>

Join roller derby. It torches calories and is also great for social stuff too!

Losing in your 20's is far easier than being 44 and losing it (again). ugh! When you lose it, keep it gone!!! :)
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 40s and was well over 330 pounds. At age 60 I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 and lost 100 pounds with diet and exercise. Metformin helped because it made me lose my appetite and I ate low carb and exercised a lot. I am now 66 years old and last August I again began my weight loss journey again and have lost 65 more pounds. During that time I have gone from morbidly obese to just a bit into the overweight BMI category. I have 35-40 pounds more to go to get to the weight I want to be.

I have PCOS, am hypothryoid, have insulin resistance, am short (5'4") and old and all of these work against me. LOL I am also determined. And that's what you have to be when you have these kinds of things to deal with. Do not let people whether they are family, friends, or health professionals discourage you. My motto is "small progress is still progress". Good luck on your journey. Believe in yourself!
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @KerryITD I will add that I have/had been on Met for about 8 years. I am not new to it :) I took some time off during my last pregnancy, of course, but then got right back into it. I could not shake the stomach thing. And, I didn't feel any effect other than a slight reduction of cravings. Now, doing Keto, I actually feel NO cravings, lower acne (almost none), consistent periods. It's just the weight. It's such a struggle to lose.....I suppose doing more exercise would help. If only there was a good 2 hours a day for me to do me things I could fit it in....sigh.....
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ah well, everyone does react differently. I don't love being on Met but it helps weight loss work...but ONLY if I'm also logging food while balancing my carbs with protein, doing some cardio, and some weight training! But If I do all those, I don't find I need to exercise like crazy--30-45 minutes 5 days a week will do it for me.
  • wesheets
    Options
    Yeah i do remember my exercise days....I seemed to be able to lose weight better then. Cardio is great!
  • mtnlife72
    mtnlife72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking Metformin because of the horrendous gastrointestinal issues. I was only on 1000 mg/day. I'm now wondering if that's my only hope for weight loss....

I'm on Metformin as well for pcos. The girls issues do improve with time. The one thing that I noticed was that if I ate something really sweet (cake,pie,candy,etc...) the gi issues would kick in full throttle. Eating low carb I haven't experienced any gi problems while on Metformin. Hope this helps.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Take the extended release version of metformin/glucophage. Accidentally got the wrong one after years of the other extended release version and needed a bathroom urgently after.

PCOS diagnosis I used 15 years ago now I have 3 kids achieved after weight loss but no other invasive fertility treatments. Sadly I am fit but back to my body set point of 225. Wish I was as fat as I was when I thought 180 was fat.
  • wesheets
    Options
    @mtnlife72 thanks for that option. I'll ask when I return to the doctor.

@mom23nuts love the handle. I had 2 before DX then treatment with NO pregnancy followed by a pregnancy after a failed IUI and a bonus baby.....then another bonus baby. I'm a walking mommimg miracle. I was 180 after number 4-which I attributed to nursing and Met. I was also going through a divorce so stress loss?? After number 5 I was over 40 and the nursing didn't work like it had the previous 4 times. So frustrating. So....I get wishing back a smaller large figure. Ha!! Actually 180 is my goal then.....ill assess if I want to try for more. "Maybe" 155 is a bottom weight goal. At 5'7" I don't need to be my HS weight of 135.
  • AmbersWay
    AmbersWay Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi! Pcos here too. I have to stick to a low calorie, low carb, low sugar, portion control diet. Exercise is a must daily. It's the only thing that has worked over the years. When I slack off, it shows.

It can be done, it just takes some will power. Find active groups to be apart of, it helps.

• T_Palms
    T_Palms Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. When I try to lose weight, I usually can succeed though lose at a slower rate than others might. I find that taking Metformin consistently, setting MFP to lose 2lbs a week and using along with Fitbit for calorie adjustments helps the most. Also, recently I learned and have noticed how important strength training is to lose weight with PCOS. I try to do intense cardio 2x per week and strength straining 2-3x per week. I walk everyday. I really suggest reading into strength training with PCOS - there is so much out there I found helpful! Good luck!

And as others have said, try to stick with lower carbs and higher protein! :smile:
  • jillianbic
    jillianbic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I was diagnosed in 2010 with PCOS and my endocrinologist basically said to eat low carb/higher protein and prescribed metformin. However, metformin made me very very sick, glucophage did as well. I stuck to a low carb diet however still had symptoms as I couldn't take the meds. In 2013 I had a personal trainer and I started HIIT and strength training. I was fit but again, still symptomatic with fatigue etc. Very recently I came across research that suggests a dairy free and gluten free diet for PCOS as dairy and gluten are known contributing factors to increasing insulin. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this route? I'm on day five. I'm willing to try anything to not be sick. Feel free to add me as a friend for support as I find getting healthy and weight loss is not as hard with encouragement!