Not losing weight- all protein diet

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    One word: scurvy

So, there is a protein based solution to scurvy: rats. The sailors that at the rats never developed scurvy.

That was a great podcast.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    as another said, you need more than just protein to lose weight. protein, fat, carbs (fruits and veggies). you can't POSSIBLY sustain any eating plan that is only ONE type of food group
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    With almost no plant fiber you might be constipated. If you're losing weight from fat and water loss and retaining all the solids you eat, the scale could look stuck.

Your aim is probably low carb. Add a bunch of leafy greens. They're mostly fiber and won't blow your ketosis. I mean, if you intend to keep eating this way for a while.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You're not having an all protein diet. You're having protein and fat, and carbs (yes, the atkins bars have carbs, probably even the shake).
    That said: how many calories are you eating? And how tall are you, how much do you weigh, what does MFP tell you to eat?
    And, yes, give it time. Four days is nothing.

And, finally, I'd aim for something a bit more sustainable, but that's just me.

All of this.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    At four days your body may retain water as it adjusts to the drastic change in calories and activity. Keep hydrated and be patient.
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    At four days your body may retain water as it adjusts to the drastic change in calories and activity. Keep hydrated and be patient.

By this point of low carbs, the body should have grabbed onto its glycogen stores, and actually shed the water storage. And there should be no other reason for the body to retain water.

My guess, like I said above, is that the weight can be found in the colon and up. ;)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    JayDam1 wrote: »

By this point of low carbs, the body should have grabbed onto its glycogen stores, and actually shed the water storage. And there should be no other reason for the body to retain water.

My guess, like I said above, is that the weight can be found in the colon and up. ;)

We can't see the nutrition in the shake though, and for some people it takes longer to dump the water they have, especially with new exercise.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If I did that to my body it would shut down. What is the logic behind all protein? Im high protein, 30%. I used to go over on the protein all the time and was always constipated. Im higher fat now and plenty of veggies and everything is working out fine!
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    One word: scurvy

So, there is a protein based solution to scurvy: rats. The sailors that at the rats never developed scurvy.

Also seals have a lot of vitamin C, so Antarctic sailors are those.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just a quick google of some of the foods makes me think that you are eating more than you think.

80g of cashews - 400 calories
    eggs x 4 - 280 calories
    protein shake - 300 ish calories
    2 angus sausages - about 370 calories
    turkey breast (4oz serving ) - can be about 170 calories x6 slices a day?

If you are not weighing your foods there is also a great deal of inaccuracy.
  • rah013
    rah013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for your reply, and the awesome advice... I honestly value everyone's input.

So here's my information below.

So I'm only 5'4 weighing at 82kgs (currently at 80kgs)

Female and 24 years old

I believe I have no health conditions.

I only started an "protein diet" to curb my cravings and reduce my appetite as I believe I may have an addiction to eating. As obviously shows due to my weight and height.

I will update you;

So I have not eaten the carb less bars and nuts these last 2 days. I have only eaten meat, eggs and protein shakes and have ensured that I've entered this in my diary as accurate as possible. I drink up to 4 litres of water and 3 cups of green tea, as l I'm really thirsty because I've been bushwalking in the middle of summer.

I have also poop (excuse the tmi) twice today

Any more advice will be highly appreciated! :) as I'm planning to get of this low carb diet soon to start a more sustainable diet.

P.s Zealea is a low carb protein powder , that was made in NZ
  • rah013
    Options
    Note: if it wasn't obvious enough I have lost 2kgs
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eat normally if carbs are a worry to you set them at 30% life's way to short to restrict yourself believe me long term it will make you yoyo weight
    Weigh weekly then monthly it will give you a weightloss idea if you lose lots in weeks 1-2 it's mainly water
  • rah013
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Eat normally if carbs are a worry to you set them at 30% life's way to short to restrict yourself believe me long term it will make you yoyo weight
    Weigh weekly then monthly it will give you a weightloss idea if you lose lots in weeks 1-2 it's mainly water

Thank you!

My ideal situation is to eat with lot of fresh veggies. I have tried to go straight to it but I don't have the discipline. I may keep at it for a couple of weeks then back to fast food as it seems much more convenient.

So far this protein situation is working in regards to suppressing my appetite and curbing my cravings and I know logically that's it not sustainable.

Unfortunately I was desperate.

So here I am
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    Just to recap, perhaps I am misunderstanding the situation?

You started a protein only diet 6 days ago in total, and posted in desperation that you haven't lost any weight other than the 2kg you have actually lost.

I am not sure exactly what this thread is about

a) you are losing weight at a rate of 0.73lbs A DAY, or 5+lbs a week

b) far from not losing weight, this is a stupidly fast rate of loss.

c) Even though water weight is involved, the rate remains stupidly fast.

The first post in this forum contains links to useful threads that discuss various aspects of how you can lose weight safely. So does the first post in the "getting started" forum.

You may want to spend a couple of days reading and understanding the posts in question.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think this is an awful approach to a diet (way of eating)

If you want to do this kind of diet you need to be clear that you are hitting your micro and macro nutrient requirements. At least if you chose to go keto or low carb there are guidelines over how you hit those nutritional requirements and advice and a few active groups on MFP ...go look at those ..ask them what they do, learn

Nobody can tell you what to do as you have to work it out for yourself otherwise it simply will not stick ...try from a position of educating yourself over what you require
  • rah013
    Options

PAV8888 wrote: »

You started a protein only diet 6 days ago in total, and posted in desperation that you haven't lost any weight other than the 2kg you have actually lost.

The first post in this forum contains links to useful threads that discuss various aspects of how you can lose weight safely. So does the first post in the "getting started" forum.

You may want to spend a couple of days reading and understanding the posts in question.

Hey, thank you for pulling me up about the misunderstanding. You are right and I'm not explaining myself properly, as I'm either on a break or about to got to bed.

So firstly I want to learn how to eat healthier

My initial post was a complaint about my weight but seriously this isn't the main issue. It was the fact that what I assumed was an "all protein diet" which I believed that you drop weight in the first 3 days (was told by a friend) hence the reason why I asked.

I am desperate to lower my appetite and to curb my craving before I start to eat healthier and so far it's actually working.

I have no idea why I'm losing that much weight now, it's surprised me too as I weighed myself exactly the same time. I don't feel hungry at all and my calories so far is at 1200. Are you able to read my diary?

If it's unhealthy I really don't want to lose that much weight quickly as this isn't my main problem, I just want to eat healthy for life really?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    rah013 wrote: »

Hey, thank you for pulling me up about the misunderstanding. You are right and I'm not explaining myself properly, as I'm either on a break or about to got to bed.

My initial post was a complaint about my weight but seriously this isn't the main issue. It was the fact that what I assumed was an "all protein diet" which I believed that you drop weight in the first 3 days (was told by a friend) hence the reason why I asked.

I am desperate to lower my appetite and to curb my craving before I start to eat healthier and so far it's actually working.

I have no idea why I'm losing that much weight now, it's surprised me too as I weighed myself exactly the same time. I don't feel hungry at all and my calories so far is at 1200. Are you able to read my diary?

If it's unhealthy I really don't want to lose that much weight quickly as this isn't my main problem, I just want to eat healthy for life really?

Then start eating healthy for life now. You cannot maintain a protein only diet.
  • rah013
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think this is an awful approach to a diet (way of eating)

If you want to do this kind of diet you need to be clear that you are hitting your micro and macro nutrient requirements. At least if you chose to go keto or low carb there are guidelines over how you hit those nutritional requirements and advice and a few active groups on MFP ...go look at those ..ask them what they do, learn

Nobody can tell you what to do as you have to work it out for yourself otherwise it simply will not stick ...try from a position of educating yourself over what you require

I will be looking into it. I need education on eating properly! Especially understanding micro and macro nutrient requirements.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but this protein diet so far is much more healthier than what I was eating previously and compare to eating takeouts and craving ice cream after, I'm actually looking forward to eating a good Ol salad
  • rah013
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    rah013 wrote: »

Then start eating healthy for life now. You cannot maintain a protein only diet.

Will do.

I can not imagine one surviving on this