Food after gym/exercise

Options
Hi,

My first post ever on here.

I've been reading up on what I should be eating/drinking after exercise and I'm still confused.

I do a mixture of cardio/weights and spin class. One night it is spin, the other night I walk for 1hr, the other nights, it's mostly weights with a small bit of cardio thrown in. I've been reading that it depends on what type of exercise you do as to what you can eat afterwards.

Some say carbs are needed, some say no carbs. Some say protein, protein and some more protein. What I have been having after the gym/spin/walk is a 2 egg omelette with tuna/sweetcorn. Someimtes I have a chiken/turkey fillet with veg.

Should I try protein shakes? I get enough protein from my diet throughout the day so I technically don't need to supplement.

I'm confused and would love to hear what people have after exercise. As a side note, I don't generally get time to eat when I get in from work/before I exercise as I've 2 small kids so I tend to head straight to gym/walk as soon as the kids go to bed and eat when I get home, which is typically at about 10pm. Not ideal I know, but hard to fit in food with 2 small cranky kids.

thanks

Replies

• AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hope this helps because switcching up your diet will let you get the adequatenutrition needed based on your work-outs will allow you to modify or increase protein if needed! I will friend you!

April:flowerforyou:
  • kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising so late, why not try a handful of nuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds etc...
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt after I exercise. It depends on what time of day, though. When I do an 8 am spin class, I'll eat a low calorie protein bar before, then when I come home, have a yogurt and then eat my lunch two hours or so after that. When I go to class around 9:30, I'm back home by 11, showered and ready for my day by 11:30, so I go for a spinach salad with a few ounces of grilled chicken, veggies and verrrry easy on the dressing. I love Ranch, so you can't eat too much of that without the fat and calories piling up.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Depending on the intensity of the workout I have read that many people suggest a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein in your meal/shake. Though many people recommend a shake of some form simply due to the 30-60 minute window when your body is really craving the nutrients. Ultimately though it's what fits into your daily macros.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Me too - I always do a late workout after the kids are in bed! I always have a protein shake afterward and that seems to be what works best for me.
  • vitamina19
    vitamina19 Posts: 30
    Options
    I like to have a serving of greek yogurt after a workout. It has a good shot of protein and carbs. Sometimes a banana too.