Best Core Workouts

Options
I have a question that I hope someone might be able to help me with. After having 2 kids, my main muscle (not sure what it's called) separated, which I was told is normal. But, my kids are 5 years old and 2 years old. Mu muscle is very stretched out and still separated and I still look pregnant because of the loose muscle.

Is it possible to tighten the muscle back by doing core exercises? I can't afford to have surgery and would rather not go that route. If there are some good exercises that focus on that area, I would like to know what they are so I can do them.

Right now I am also trying to lose approx 25 lbs at the same time as toning. I am doing the Beachbody Turbofire program and it does have 1 specific workout for core.

Any suggestions as to types of core exercises I should be doing and how often?

Replies

• lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on another thread about stretched out stomach muscles from child birth. But I will put it here too. There was an article in Fitness Mag (april 2011) about abdominal exercises. They have the exercises on their website.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/exercises/waist-slimming-ab-workout/?page=1

I am just starting them so I can't tell you how well it works. My goal is to do them for 30 days straight and see if it helps. I took measurements. Hopefully I can improve my stomach :)
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here. I also had two kids so I guess that my abdomen muscle also "separeted" :( I know what you talking about. I hope it can be fixed by exercise and losing weight. I'm going to follow your post to see if you get any good answears :) Feel free to add me!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on another thread about stretched out stomach muscles from child birth. But I will put it here too. There was an article in Fitness Mag (april 2011) about abdominal exercises. They have the exercises on their website.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/exercises/waist-slimming-ab-workout/?page=1

I am just starting them so I can't tell you how well it works. My goal is to do them for 30 days straight and see if it helps. I took measurements. Hopefully I can improve my stomach :)

Wow those are awesome core exercises. I am going to try to incoporate them through my weekly workout.
  • kare423
    kare423 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I definitely try those out to see if it helps! I'll try anything at this point.
  • kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have you guys tried Kettlebells for core strength?

They are amazing if used right, not only that, average burn of 20cals per 1 minute of exercise, youtube some programs? The workouts kill you though lol, 20 minutes with a kettlebell feels like you been hit by a small horse.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

They are amazing if used right, not only that, average burn of 20cals per 1 minute of exercise, youtube some programs? The workouts kill you though lol, 20 minutes with a kettlebell feels like you been hit by a small horse.

her main back muscles separated, I would check with my doctor before doing any weight lifting. (I love the bells)

OP+ are they not offering physical therapy? PT saved my life, and changed it to a healthier thought process.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    If it's your stomach muscles you are talking about, can't rem the word but it begins with a MI think. I have 2 small kids; 2+half boy and 1+half year old girl.

I got a book about it as I was doing crunches/sit-ups in the gym but I read in the book that these can actually lead to the muscle seperating even more. Scary thought so I stopped doing them.

On the advise of a fitness instructor in my gym, I started doing fitball/swiss ball core exercises. I noticed a difference within 2 weeks. It was/is great. I do 3 exercises with the ball; one like a plank but you put your elbows on the ball, legs out stretched. Another exercise is the same but you must the ball in/out with your elbows. THe 3rd exercise is lying down, feet rested on the ball, legs 90 degree angle and raiing/lifting your bum.

I'm going back to get another assessment in a week or so and was thinking of adding more exercises as I find them great and wanted to do more.

Will check out the other exercises posted on here. The mummy tummy WILL go eventually.
  • angelicdisgrace
    Options
    If it's your stomach muscles you are talking about, can't rem the word but it begins with a MI think. I have 2 small kids; 2+half boy and 1+half year old girl.

I got a book about it as I was doing crunches/sit-ups in the gym but I read in the book that these can actually lead to the muscle seperating even more. Scary thought so I stopped doing them.

On the advise of a fitness instructor in my gym, I started doing fitball/swiss ball core exercises. I noticed a difference within 2 weeks. It was/is great. I do 3 exercises with the ball; one like a plank but you put your elbows on the ball, legs out stretched. Another exercise is the same but you must the ball in/out with your elbows. THe 3rd exercise is lying down, feet rested on the ball, legs 90 degree angle and raiing/lifting your bum.

I'm going back to get another assessment in a week or so and was thinking of adding more exercises as I find them great and wanted to do more.

Will check out the other exercises posted on here. The mummy tummy WILL go eventually.

I agree those core exercises are awesome. My trainer also makes me do them on a regular basis.
  • angelicdisgrace
    Options

I agree those core exercises are awesome. My trainer also makes me do them on a regular basis.
  • kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

her main back muscles separated, I would check with my doctor before doing any weight lifting. (I love the bells)

OP+ are they not offering physical therapy? PT saved my life, and changed it to a healthier thought process.

Agree on Doctors advice, I waqs thinking of a low kb weight though, perhaps 2.5KG would not be a problem...?

Certainly worth looking into.