Daily exercise and stuck to diet STILL NO WEIGHT LOSS!!!

Options
Please help!
I have low thyroid and am struggling to lose a single pound.
Have stuck to my diet plan and exercising every day....yet 6 weeks now with not a single pound shed.
Very disheartened.
:sad: :explode:

Replies

• joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    have you tried measuring? as muscle is more dense you have have replaced the fat you have lost with muscle? Keep up the good work, you will get there in the end I am sure! x
  • turbofiregirl
    Options
    Hi Becky,

I am no pro on this, but what I keep hearing is - Chuck the scales, embrace the inch tape. Probably you've gained some muscle and so, not seeing results on the scale. Try measuring yourself up to see if there has been fat loss. I have never succeeded in losing weight w.r.t numbers, but I do notice differences in the way my dress fits.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    :( how frustrating!!
    With a low thyroid it can take longer for results to appear. or you may need the help of a qualified dietician to help create a plan that will work for you. It may not be something you can tweek yourself.
    Have you been measuring your self too? any changes there?
    Sorry i cant be anymore help... but with a health issue like a low thyroid i'd recomend talking to your doctor and a dietician to work out a plan suited to your needs.
    Good luck
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's the same with me, I had a plateau for about 3 months, then I lost a bit for 2 weeks and now I'm stuck again for the third week. That's just the way it rolls with us I'm afraid :/ But if you exercise regularly, you'll see a lot of other changes, like jeans that suddenly fit again and eventually, the weight loss will also come. Just be patient, hang in there and look out for the non-scale-victories :)
    Good luck xx
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    you might try not eating back your exercise calories as for some that works better. Just try for a week and see. Also you might try to burn a few more calories and see if that kicks your weight loss into gear.
    One other thing.. You dont track your sodium but I would add it and see if you happen to be over because if so then you may be retaining water. Are you drinking the recommended 8-10 glasses of water a day every day?

Good luck!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I know you're under your calories, but I'd try switching the crisps and biscuits for some more fruit and veg and other non processed foods. That might help.
  • hatchhome
    hatchhome Posts: 65
    Options
    When you say you have low thyroid do you mean its still working just not as well or you have had it zapped (lack of better medical term) and you now take medication to replace it? My wife has taken sythroid for years and its been such a struggle to get down to a weight that she wants. Keep at it. Drink LOTS of water
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    have you tried seeing a nutritionist? they might be able to help w/your low thyroid
  • beckymorris68
    beckymorris68 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thyroid is underfunctioning, but didn't have it zapped. Taking 100mcg daily of levothyroxine.

I will try and resist those crisps and replace with fruit.

Thinking of asking doctor for a dietician referral.

Have measured my waist....it remains at an ungainly apple-shaped 36 inches, no inch loss sadly :-(

I drink approx 5 glasses water a day...not very good with this.

Thanks for your comments thus far!!
  • EmsyLou77
    EmsyLou77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you on the right dose of thyroxine? Can you go back to doctor and ask to have blood tests re-done?

(I am on 150mcg but this has had to steadily increase over the years.)
  • GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a hypo too. And I feel your pain. It's tough. I read somewhere that for us, we need more fiber than the average person and with more fiber comes more water. If I followed this, I'd probably be losing weight faster, but it's so hard to get enough fiber.
  • beckymorris68
    Options
    Doctor only ever measures TSH and T4 and these reveal 'normal'....whereas I read a lot on the net about having T3 measured for more accurate readings....but how does one tell a doctor to do these things (I'm in UK under an NHS doctor so can't go telling them what to do. Maybe I should consider some private bloods and paying for them?).
  • EmsyLou77
    EmsyLou77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been there Becky!

I would insist on a referral to an endocrinologist. If you can afford it or have health insurance that would cover it, go private. If not, go NHS. GPs are RUBBISH in this respect!!
  • beckymorris68
    Options
    I was under an endocrinologist when pregnant in 2008/9...he was a load of Tommy Tank!! He simply measured my TSH and T4 and told me to up my dose by 25mcg for duration of pregnancy, then revert to pre-pregnancy dose the day after having my baby!! i was aghast, but he was dismissive and I got discharged from him/by him immediately after my baby was born.
    I struggled for over a year of being VERY hypo after baby was born...had terrible hypo symptoms but mistook them for post-baby symptoms: fatigued, forgetful, low, weak, painful joints, visual disturbances, skin thickening, hair loss, cuticle grew totally over my little toe nails (weird!!), horrid periods etc etc.
    Finally went to gp after a year post-baby, she said TSH was sky high and put my dose up by 25mcg, and there I sit. Felt better intially, but now feel tired all the time.

Think I will do what you say and ask for private endo blood work as NHS endo was dismissive and uninterested in me.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have Hypo thyroid, i'n on Synthroid. It is a VERY hard struggle to lose A pound. My suggestion is stick to your calories, make sure you switch your food up CONSTANTLY. Never eat the same thing 2 days in a row! Drink lots of water!! Stick to cardio and make sure you eat HALF of your workout calories back. This process seems to be helping me. Weight isnt coming off as FAST as I want. But I'll take a half pound-1 pound per week.

Feel free to add me if you would like more support!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Talk to your pharmacist about whether you are taking your thyroid correctly. When I started taking my levothyroxin correctly it really helped..

1/2 hr before breakfast
    On an empty stomach
    With a full class of water
    At least four hours before taking antacides, iron or vitamin/mineral supplements

I also take three other medicines. The discipline to take them all correctly and still eat correctly is incredibly hard. On Saturdays, I take a weekly bone density pill. I had to actually strategize with my pharmacist as which to take first the fosamax or the levothyroxin (thyroid first).

Also I was on synthyroid several years ago. My thyroid seems to have less swings with the levothyroxin (everyone is different).

Good luck!
  • beckymorris68
    Options
    Hmmmm....never eat the same things 2 days in a row, eh?? Ok. I can give that a go, even though i am a creature of habit :-)
  • beckymorris68
    Options
    Have always been good with my thyoxine taking habits....however, recently trying taking it last thing at night as people on thyroid forum saying it is effective as has 8 hours to absorb into your system due to no eating during the night. No change noted so far, but only 6 days in to this.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    It really isn't necessary to test the T3 under most circumstances. If your T4 is within the normal range and your TSH is optimal, then your thyroid is not contributing to the problems. In my lab, a normal TSH is 0.34-5.6 (actually, 0.34-3.0, but that's another story). I try to keep most of my patients in the 1-2 range, unless they require a slightly higher dose for suppression. It's harder to keep the TSH in the 0.34-1.00 range, but it can be done if necessary. It isn't always easy to mimic Mother Nature.
    Remember, there are many factors which can interfere with weight control besides thyroid.