need a good not boring Indian diet

Options
I am trying to loose weight so ce long but I give up on my diet can anyone suggest a not so difficult diet plan . and which works in India

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can eat the same foods you eat now. Eat less of them.

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yummy my favorite: Indian food! I love to cook this way. I know lots has heavy ghee, that usually does me in. I have a few cook books that are just awesome. All vegetarian tho. I don't eat lots of he bread and try to minimize the ghee, no fried stuff. :(. Pakoras! Learned how to bake them. Not sure how it is in India tho. I'm just an American wanna be Indian!
  • guchii
    guchii Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I m Indian n make Indian food often at home. But Indian good is so high in calorie Tht I substitute many things. End of the day it turns out to b some kind of fusion food. But still very tasty.
  • lakshva
    lakshva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat Indian food every day and I am not finding it boring. I reserve high calorie food for festivals(which we have many ;) )
    Play around with food. Substitute high calorie food with low calories. I use oil everyday but not ghee.
    Feel free to check my dairy.
  • lakshva
    lakshva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am trying to loose weight so ce long but I give up on my diet can anyone suggest a not so difficult diet plan . and which works in India

I can offer you advocare 24 day challenge, it's a very good program . Here is my link https://www.advocare.com/160219775/Mobile/default.aspx

Oh really. Another miracle diet? You have all solutions in just 24 days? Pls leave us poor souls. We do love longer routes than the quick/ unhealthy fixes.
    I think you are already getting 'appropriate' response in the thread you started.
  • lynch17
    lynch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan but have a really good cookbook. Vegan Richas Indian Kitchen. If you eat meat/poultry just add them to the dishes. They are fabulous recipes and really tasty and are all fairly low in calories. They haven't impeded on my weight loss at all.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1941252095/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1455534402&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=vegan+richa's+indian+kitchen
  • avj_78
    avj_78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So many great options. Eats lots of subji made with less oil or no oil at all (works well with greens). A roti or two, homemade, isn't that high in calories (use the recipe builder). Dal, brown lentils, rajma are great, but higher in calories. So I eat them like soup instead of on rice or with meat. I make canned (tin) fish curry/subji which you can eat with vegetables or a roti. Big egg white omelets with lots of veges. Adapt recipes with less oil/ghee and avoid fried foods. Use the recipe builder. Enjoy the awesome fresh fruits and coconut water you get there as well! Feel free to add me :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Channa dhal, spinach, grilled chicken, salads, avoid too much ghee, oil, cream, which may mean you have to prepare your food yourself as there can be quite high fat content.
    rice is quite high in calories so careful there. weighing it dry will become a good habit!
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I save calories by dicing veg, steaming it and then mixing it into the boiled rice to bulk it out. Daal made with onion, lentils and spices (no ghee) is fairly low cal too. And poppadums ....cook in the microwave instead of frying them. Mango chutney is very high calorie, but you can still have the taste by mixing a spoon of it into fat free natural yogurt. I also do baked onion bhaji by tipping the mix into a silicon cake tin and baking in a hot oven.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Are you a vegetarian or an omnivore?
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I know it's not perfect but I use cauliflower rice instead of basmati. I make butter chicken and replace the rice with cauliflower instead and use a small amount of heavy whipping cream instead of yogurt for thickener. That way I get a protein, fats and a veggie all in one meal. Try one small change at a time :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    we us all the indian spices with lean chicken and low calorie vegetables, and leave out all the high calorie things like ghee and rice.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    guchii wrote: »
    I m Indian n make Indian food often at home. But Indian good is so high in calorie Tht I substitute many things. End of the day it turns out to b some kind of fusion food. But still very tasty.

Can you share some recipes? :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just don't exceed your calorie intake eating what you like to eat while doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Can you get spaghetti squash over there? That's my favorite thing to use instead of rice or pasta. It's extremely low calorie, and it works really well as something to carry sauces. The taste is neutral.
  • guchii
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

Sure can. But for starters I do not eat roti/paratha. I make my bread from pearl millet Indian name is bajra or from rolled oats. Not quick oats.

Instead of paratha I will eat millet roti or oat roti n add butter on top after it is cooked. So u r not using ghee or oil n not frying the paratha.

N for rice. I m a rice fanatic. I love my rice. Lol. But instead of rice I eat brown rice or quinoa. But I try n eat either rice or bread Tht day. Not both things.

N for curries. I don't use paneer. I use tofu n add all vegetables to it. So turns out to b some kind of stir fry veggie without oil.

N I love beans as well. N I m not a big fan of "tarka" dal. I just boil my beans add little salt n I m good. I can eat all kinds of beans like this. But I do sauté my beans once in a while n I use lot of natural spices like ginger n garlic r to give the taste. Also no matter Wht quantity or Wht food I will cook I will not use more than 1tsp of oil. Mostly use less if quantity is less.

So I mostly alternate my meals. One says roti (oats/mulliet) with vegetables. N other day some kind of beans n quinoa or brown rice.
  • guchii
    edited February 2016
    Options

One of my recipe for stir fry veggies. I keep experimenting. It does not have to be exact u can experiment with it.

NOTE: this will make big quantity. I would say 4-5 meals if served with brown rice.

Stir fry vegetables with tofu (sweet n spicy)

Ingredients:
    1 large onion
    2 large broccoli heads
    1 large zucchini
    3 large carrots
    1 large yellow/red bell pepper
    2 cups green beans
    2-3 small jalapeño
    3 cup mushrooms
    8 large garlic clove (paste)
    2 tbsp (ginger paste)
    1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
    3 tbsp unsalted roasted sesame seeds
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp Hakka noodles powder
    1 tsp salt (to taste)
    1 packet extra firm tofu

Sauce
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp spicy Szechwan sauce
    1/2 cup tomato ketchup

Directions:

1. Drain the tofu and cut it in cube size. Let it drain till you cut vegetables

2. Combine soy sauce, Szechwan sauce and ketchup n put it aside.

3. Cut all the vegetables in cube or match stick size
    (Match stick- carrots, zucchini, onion, jalapeño)
    (Cube: bell pepper)

4. In an non stick pan sauté tofu until golden brown from all sides (no need to add oil)

5. Meantime take a big Wok set the gas on high n add olive oil

6. Add peanuts: sauté for a min

7. Add onion, ginger paste, garlic paste and jalapeño; sauté for 1-2 min

8. Add green beans to the pan: sauté for 2mins

9. Meantime sprinkle water on broccoli and microwave for 2-3 mins

10. Add carrots and salt to pan; sauté for 1. min (just add enough salt for onion, green beans n carrots- soy sauce will b added later n it has lots of salt)

11. Add Hakka noodle powder. N stir well.

12. Add yellow/red pepper to pan; sauté for a min

13. Add mushroom to pan; sauté for a min

14. Add cooked broccoli and sautéed tofu to pan along with combined sauce. Let it simmer for 2-3 mins or until all vegetables are flavored

15. Serve hot with brown rice n garnish by adding sesame seeds

(Note: If u don't eat much spice cut out the jalapeño and/or add less of Hakka noodle powder)

Let me know how it turns out.

Here is the picture of my stir fry :prd5q32wrdlxt.jpg
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    WOW thank you, it looks delish!
  • guchii
    Options
    WOW thank you, it looks delish!

Try it n let me know :smile:
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I make a roasted veggie topped with a yogurt curry chicken dish that is really good and cooks itself in the oven. I am not as successful with multi-step real Indian cuisine. The last time I tried, seeds popped out of the skillet all over the kitchen and I had to go chase them down.