Darn you, Girl Scouts!

Options
Birkah
Birkah Posts: 33 Member
I've been doing so well the last few weeks, logging my food carefully, building up my exercise, losing weight and getting into better cardiovascular shape... then comes the dreaded-yet-oh-so-anticipated Girl Scout Cookie Time. Thin Mints! Tagalongs! The lemon and powdered sugar ones that are named like a stripper! Why do you torture me??? I know from past experience that I can't eat just one (box). But the girls are so freakin' adorable in their little uniforms... and they lure me in begging to help me fund their trip to Space Camp. How can I say no to little girls who want to be astronauts? Shazbot.

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Can you not just give them the money and tell them to keep the delicious things? Tell them your plight but that you still want to help their cause.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I always buy 1 box and freeze half of them but you can also just give them money. They then donate boxes to the military overseas or to other places like shelters and food banks. I think last year I ended up spending $100 on cookies and only buying one box. Having been a girl scout all through school and knowing how those sales helped the troop, I can't walk past a booth!
  • Birkah
    Options
    I've donated cookies to the overseas military before. Boy Scouts do that too with the popcorn sales. I just have to acknowledge that I have zero willpower against the pull of those scrumptious cookies, and I can't keep them in the house, since my celiac kiddo (who doesn't like the GF cookie offering - toffee is kind of blech) would be heartbroken. I guess I'll have to hit up the store during the day before school lets out to reduce my temptation.
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been selling Girl Scout cookies. How can I say no, I won't buy any??? She would hate me for life, and so would her brother, lol. Just going to have to keep them in a locked box and only they will have the key.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I gave into the GS temptation last week. Ate an entire box of thin mints, got a terrible stomachache, felt so ashamed. With exercise, I still stayed under calorie goal for that day. I still lost weight, so it wasn't a complete fail.
  • jwschutz
    jwschutz Posts: 306 Member
    Options
  • Birkah
    Options
    Oooh - I wish Thin Mints worked like that. How long before some whackadoo comes up with a "Thin Mint Diet"?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I buy the Keebler Grasshoppers (just like the Thin Mints) and Coconut Dreams (just like Samoas) year round. I usually plan to have one either right before my workout or right after dinner. Freezing them keeps me out of them during the rest of the day.
  • Melzine
    Melzine Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Are you at Wally World
  • Birkah
    Options
    Definitely not. I'm not a Walmart snob, it's just "Snowbird Season" down here, and the Walmartians are especially rude and horrible this year. The adorable little pigtailed Girl Scout who talked me into sending Thin Mints to overseas soldiers was in front of Publix.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The ones in my area don't seem to have Thin Mints:(
    It's all vanilla or chocolate. Not nearly as good.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Haven't bought any GS cookies in 20 years or so. Too expensive. It's a rip off.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh man Samoas and those peanut butter ones are my weakness!!! That said, one or two cookies shouldn't put you over you calorie target as long as you adjust other things accordingly. Can I just say after years and years of "you can't eat this/that" diets, the whole "just don't eat so dang much" diet is so liberating (aka, just establish a daily target that puts you in enough of a deficit for weight loss). Who would have thought I'd be on a diet and able to eat girl scout cookies if I wanted to. I like the freezer suggestion from the others, I sometimes do that with other desserts, but never thought of doing it with cookies. /me goes out and buys a case of Samoas and puts them in the freezer
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @Birkah Walmartians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My parents used to Snowbird and camped out in the Walmart. Oh man, Walmartians... that's the best!!