What have you learned during your fit/nutrition quest/lifestyle?

Options
valskeete
valskeete Posts: 53 Member
I've had an epiphany.
For the last few days I couldn't lift/do what I wanted in the gym due to sickness. It made me weak and encouraged a terrible diet (pizza and cake mostly).
A former fitness competitor. I was finally able to stop yo-yo-ing and get it right.
I went to gym EVERYDAY and ate a perfect Keto diet 5 days a week. Had a pizza meal once a week as well as a refeed.
As soon as I was unable to go to the gym all bets were off. I stop eating for the results I can't attain without working out. It's all or nothing with me.

Replies

• valskeete
    Options
    I tend to over do it and don't doubt I was sick because of just that.
  • myfavoriteyear
    myfavoriteyear Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I fall into the all-or-nothing trap too.... I used to be much worse. The main thing I learned is that for me to prevent backsliding, I have to track. Food definitely - and tracked exercise too this past week. It was really eye-opening for me to realize that I really have to eat modestly (for the most part) for the rest of my life. I guess after a while you probably get used to it and the old bigger portions hopefully seem like pigging out after a while.
  • red196690
    red196690 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If I eat right and exercise regular I find it easier to lose.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest lesson I've learned over the years of health/fitness pursuits is consistency without perfection. I got into a 'perfection' zone for a while where every day had to be 100%.
    But, I've found a more pleasantly maintainable lifestyle and mindset just realizing that allowing yourself some leisure is okay and, overall, doesn't affect an otherwise consistent healthy lifestyle.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Healthy =/= gross.
    "Delicious," "yum," or synonyms thereof are not necessarily cuss words (although I was taught that they were during late childhood).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    That average people today don't really understand how weight loss works. Maybe 1 out of 5 do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's easier to work with extremes than consistency, even though consistency is necessary(the new one I've learned). Looking at the whole week rather than daily makes the bad days not so horrible or guilty(I ate about 900 calories in Chinese food today). One bad food episode doesn't unravel the whole day.
  • valskeete
    Options
    Yes!
    One "bad" meal does not make you fat, just like one "good" meal does not make you healthy.
    I do agree that most people don't know how weightloss works, as well as what to do to attain a specific goal ( ex: acquire a 6 pack).
    It takes trial and error and a ton of persistence/perseverance. If someone told me it would take 10 years to get here, I doubt I would have stuck in there.
  • annapage38
    annapage38 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That I like food. A lot. I have a problem
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    One day is just ONE DAY.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    slow and steady win the race