Hypothyroidism and weight loss

Options
Hello. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue. It's been a couple weeks since I began hormone/thyroid/adrenal therapy. Though I initially lost weight (10 lbs the first month) I've now plateaued. My energy is through the floor (I feel like a zombi) and exercise seems almost impossible. Eating normally has also been tricky as food either seems disgusting or something I can't seem to get enough of. I'm looking to friend-up with folks that may be struggling with similar issues. Feel free to friend me. Maybe we can swap support as we meander down the road to our goals?

Replies

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the dose you're on now may not be the right dose for you and it may need to be tweaked.
    I am hypothyroid as well. Weight loss is definitely possible. (I've lost 10 in 21 days). But the right dosage will obviously make a difference!
    I've always known my hypothyroidism is no excuse for my weight gain, which can be hard to accept at times. I use Jillian Michaels as my inspiration to not let it hold me back.
    Getting your hormones under control will be one part, the other will be to log your food and keep a deficit.

As for your energy, again, dosage problems maybe... and synthroid takes 6 weeks to fully start working. Just try any sort of physical activity, even for 20 minutes. I always feel better and more energized afterwards. (I know, getting up is the hardest part for me).
  • TracyShing
    TracyShing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Nature-Thyroid (non synthetic) and a few other supplements for my adrenals. I decided to go with a MD that is also a natrualpath. I'm not sure if my thyroid disfunction made me fat, it was probably my anticonvulsant (seizure) medication (real nasty stuff). Regardless, I'm off ALL medication other than the new thyroid stuff. My energy is in the tank. Last week I literally couldn't get out of bed. Last two days have been better thankfully. I walked for over an hour today. Hope to get in another walk tomorrow and maybe hit some weights. How long did it take you to get your dosage right? It's been about 5 weeks for me so far and I get my 1st lab recheck next Friday. I've almost given up this last week because my symptoms were so horrid... Frustrating. Thank you for responding though. It's really nice to know I'm not the only person to have gone through this, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Theres a few here who have it that seem to post regularly. Mine dosage is kinda low (75mcg) and I think it was changed once in the first three months which was almost six years ago. I cant speak with any knowledge about the adrenal fatigue, but don't get discouraged. Diet is how you will lose weight, so maybe easing into that will help keep you focused?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Agree with meridianfaith as to changing dosages. I had to up my thyroid meds 3 times plus add another one after 6 months. You will start to feel better. Even taking a 10 minute walk is a good start.
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and it can be really hard at first but it gets easier especially when your on the right dose. I have never gotten stable on meds but keep at it! Add me if you like!
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypo while pregnant so I suppose my weight gain then loss postpartum contributed, but it took about a year to get my dosage right and my labs were all over the place while my endocrinologist adjusted synthroid up and down. In the end, it made me feel so awful that they out me in Armour Thyroid and it's been much better since. Once my levels stabilized I did lose 20 lbs in WW, but slowly gained it back when I got complacent. Back at it now, and it comes off much slower these days but I can't say if that's my thyroid or age.
    My goal is to get my dosage down and maybe once at a healthy weight see if I could get off meds entirely since I'm mild-moderately hypo. ( adjustments may need to be made every 10-15 lbs so check in with your doc).
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hashimotos Hypothyroid here. Not to be a downer, but it took a few YEARS to get my med dosing right. It's difficult, because when your thyroid isn't working, you don't always know what is best - even the doctors. Your TSH and T4 levels can be in one range one week, then 6 weeks later in a COMPLETELY different arena. Just like you have to adjust to taking meds, your thyroid is too. And at first, it doesn't exactly understand what it's supposed to do with the new meds/hormones. Give it time. Make sure you doctor is checking your levels AT LEAST every 6 weeks, or find a new doctor. Eventually, it will get a little easier, and you get a little bit of that energy back. best of luck to you!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get yourself an appointment with an endocrinologist. The illness is very simple to treat, impossible to cure. If you have been a few weeks on meds and are not feeling better, you are not on the right meds, or there are also other things going on (you are e.g. at increases risks for some deficiencies). My personal experience (not a dr, just personal observation), when you let someone other than an endocrinologist treat hypothyroidism, you are usually in for loooong and hard journey.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I also have hashimoto's and some other conditions. Weight loss is difficult, very difficult. Personally, I plan to follow up with my endocrinologist next time I see him about what can be done.

Don't forget that Synthroid, for T4, has a half-life of about 6 days. So when you start or stop, it will take about that long for it to build up in your system or to all become depleted.
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight and regain health after being diagnosed with Hashi's Curse (which varies in severity/total failure) but you do have to be very determined. If you still have some thyroid function/low dose, it is important to avoid cabbage, broccoli etc and foods containing soy, as they will make your thyroid worse. Take a daily A-Z multivitamin & mineral supplement. Eating healthy, food, exercise & portion control (yawn) is a lifestyle change you will need to follow, just to stop gaining any more weight. You may find you are wheat/gluten/carb intolerant, as these are often linked with Hashi. Some medications your Dr wants to prescribe may make weightloss even more of a challenge. (I have been on statins for 14yrs and couldn't shift the fat, even when anorexic. Dumped the statins 2 days ago and already my keto sticks are pale pink (stayed beige before, even on 12gms net carbs). Think of this as a wakeup call to review your health, lifestyle, stress and appearance. Use MFP to keep a diet & exercise diary (helps with portion control & motivation). Good luck !