To eat or not to eat

Options
Help. I am so disappointed. I am fit but fat. Backstory.....PCOS insulin resistance, but fit. Exercise 6 days a week. Just bought a spin bike. Usually jog or treadmill time.
Got really fit 2 times to a great weight, but still thought I was fat at 180.
Now at 225 I cannot do crazy fads, kidney stones prevent it. 3 surgeries later for kidney stones, I just want to get slimmer and lose weight in a healthy way.

So doing all the right things... 3 weeks in....Thursday night weigh in, same place, same time, same outfit, NOT A DAMN OUNCE LOST!

What am I doing wrong?

So tonight is date night. Do I eat and shake things up? Do I stay diligent? Do I fume and be miserable eating a salad while my Jack. Sprat husband eats whatever he wants and burns energy in his sleep?

I am petrified to eat on date night and gain and have farther to go, but this diligence isn't paying off either.

HELP!

Replies

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing food and recording every morsel? How many calories are you eating a day? It's hard to know what you might be doing without that information.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yes. Recording all of it here
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    How are your calories compared to goal calories? Do you follow macro's at all?
    Did you also take pics and measure? The scale is not always linear.
    I say eat. But don't go crazy. Its life and One Meal. Keep it mainly healthy.
    Keep it up! We don't often gain quickly or lose quickly.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Always under in calories. All my measurements are also the same. I could deal with a 3 week funk if my pants felt roomier, but sadly nothing is happening.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary, it looks like you are over in sodium by a lot on a regular basis... maybe try lowering sodium intake?
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I paged through a few days in your diary and noticed you went over your fat goal quite a bit for a few of the days. Maybe that could be it. Fat is important for neurological functions and other stuff I think, but if I even go over a little on my fat limits, I can tell a difference in how my body feels even if I can't see it on the scale. I would try to cut out some fats and also consider adding sugar to your diary to track that. The sugar and fat always kill my losses. Carbs don't cause as much of a change for me personally. Some of those adjustments may help. But don't be discouraged since it's only week three!! It takes time for all this stuff. I've only lost 20 lb in a year...if I had given up at week three I bet I would have lost about 1 total. So stick with it. :smile:

Also, definitely go out! Don't feel like if you eat one bad meal it'll ruin everything, because it won't. Each day is a clean slate, and just because you have a splurge tonight doesn't mean you can't start right back with the good habits tomorrow. In order for a lifestyle change to stick, you have to be able to eat the foods you like and not feel like it's the end of the world. Enjoy date nights every now and then!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh in at night. Wake up, pee, weight in. I can make my weigh flux 3-4 pounds from morning to evening depending on how much water/fiber/food/fat/etc I eat during the day
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Don't weigh in at night. Wake up, pee, weight in. I can make my weigh flux 3-4 pounds from morning to evening depending on how much water/fiber/food/fat/etc I eat during the day

Shouldn't consistency be the key as opposed to what time if day I weigh in? Like, if I weight in at night and always wear the same thing week after week the weight loss would show right?
  • jesscran815
    Options
    mom23nuts wrote: »

Shouldn't consistency be the key as opposed to what time if day I weigh in? Like, if I weight in at night and always wear the same thing week after week the weight loss would show right?

That's what I would assume. Though if you eat more or drink more liquids, or if you eat/drink different things, it might skew things. You could have lost a pound but maybe you went to the bathroom before the first weigh in and not the most recent, or you drank more water that day or eaten an extra snack. That's why I always weigh in the morning. Make sure I have the cleanest slate.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I paged through a few days in your diary and noticed you went over your fat goal quite a bit for a few of the days. Maybe that could be it. Fat is important for neurological functions and other stuff I think, but if I even go over a little on my fat limits, I can tell a difference in how my body feels even if I can't see it on the scale. I would try to cut out some fats and also consider adding sugar to your diary to track that. The sugar and fat always kill my losses. Carbs don't cause as much of a change for me personally. Some of those adjustments may help. But don't be discouraged since it's only week three!! It takes time for all this stuff. I've only lost 20 lb in a year...if I had given up at week three I bet I would have lost about 1 total. So stick with it. :smile:

Also, definitely go out! Don't feel like if you eat one bad meal it'll ruin everything, because it won't. Each day is a clean slate, and just because you have a splurge tonight doesn't mean you can't start right back with the good habits tomorrow. In order for a lifestyle change to stick, you have to be able to eat the foods you like and not feel like it's the end of the world. Enjoy date nights every now and then!

Sadly, with PCOS carbs are the killer. Doing this twice before with success and with doctors precursors exam this time too fats are least important to focus on for a chubster like me.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just keep going.
    My last large weight lose was 32 lbs, and it took one month to lose the first!
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Just keep going.
    My last large weight lose was 32 lbs, and it took one month to lose the first!

Love Wonder Woman. So it took you a month to lose the 1st lb?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds at first, but that was actually due to Norro. >< Once I actually started logging, it took me a few weeks to start seeing the scale number budge. A large part of that was that I wasn't as exact with my logging as I thought I was. It wasn't until I started weighing EVERYTHING that I realized how off I was. I'd suggest for the next week, use a food scale, not cups or teaspoons, and see where that gets you. It's a pain to do, but you need to know where you're starting from to know how to get to where you want to be.

Also, I know a lot of people with PCOS have issues losing weight. You might try talking with your doctor and seeing what advice they have, since even among women with PCOS, how they lose weight is different.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Using a scale, measuring spoons you name it. I guess I just have to keep going
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes. Recording all of it here

Weighing your food and recording it or just recording it? You can't be accurate with out a food scale.

As another poster said, sodium masks weight loss. I was under my calorie goal yesterday but up two pounds this morning because I had sausage for dinner and a cheesies before bed. Happens every single time I have too much sodium.

As to when you weigh in, your body can fluctuate wildly throughout the day (how much food you've ingested and digested at 5 pm one day can vary wildly from the next day, and that's just one variable). Weighing in the morning after you've relieved yourself is the closest you can get to a controlled situation in that respect.

Mainly though, with your medical conditions, you really should have your doctor refer you to a registered dietician knowledgeable in helping people with PCOS.

Best of luck!
  • jesscran815
    Options

Sadly, with PCOS carbs are the killer. Doing this twice before with success and with doctors precursors exam this time too fats are least important to focus on for a chubster like me.

Hmm, interesting. I have a milder case of PCOS than you do it sounds like, but I feel like no matter what, sodium and fats in excess as much as they are in your diary might not be helping. Also, if you've only logged for a week, you probably won't see a drastic drop, as some other folks are saying. It took me a lot of time to get things under control and even after logging everything I eat, there was some guess work involved before I got my scale. A dietician knowledgeable about PCOS would definitely help as @Mischievous_Rascal said.
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I can recommend 'PCOS Dietbook' by Colette Harris. It basically suggests a healthy diet which includes carbs, but chooses whole grain over processed. It's really good for going into the theory of why it is harder to lose weight with PCOS.

On a personal note, I have found that I maintain for 3 or 4 weeks, drop 2 or 3lb apparently overnight, then back to maintaining again... It all averages out in the end, but I put it down to the excess insulin buffering the effect of calorie reduction, which works in the short term but can't go on for ever.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    You only have three data points, correct? It's hard to say if there even is a trend at all one way or the other with so few points of data.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

I concour with him. Definately need to weigh first thing in the morning. You are inactive at night, BUT, you also are not eating AND some of your metabolism is still functioning. Others commented about aspects of your food besides the calories. I REALLY HAVE TROUBLES WITH THIS because is it so easy to get hung up on calories and forget that you can still get bit in the butt by excessive sodium and fat.

SUMMARY----Watch "ALL" the numbers in your food and not just the calories...weight first thing in the morning after you wake up and pee (even better if you "drop the browns off at the pool") :-)
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Thanks all! I plan to find that PCOS diet book too! I really need to tailor my meals over trying to eat regular everyday stuff and make those foods fit the plan.

I do really need to keep an eye on the sodium for sure. I thought having roasted turkey sandwich was semi healthy, but the sodium in that one meal is over HALF my sodium for the DAY! Tracking things here are really opening my eyes!