food scale question

Options
morey235
morey235 Posts: 96 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just bought a food scale and it may be a silly question, but do I weigh the food 'before' I cook it, or do I weigh it 'after' I cook it.? thanks

Replies

• saucesofit
    saucesofit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You will find entries for both in the system. Just specify when you're searching. That being said, weighing raw is always more accurate as cooking can create variation in weight due to liquid loss.
  • morey235
    Options
    thank you
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I do both depending on what I'm doing. If I'm making something into a combined meal (like casserole or something), I weigh after it's done so I can see what a serving looks like. If I'm just pan cooking some chicken with a sauce, I'll weight count them separately.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you are logging it. I will usually do it before it's cook and ensure I log it with uncooked chicken (lets say),..
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do whichever is more convenient for the food I am measuring...usually cooked, except for when I make something in a single serving, like oatmeal or pasta if I am the only one eating it.
  • morey235
    Options
    thank you both
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I prefer the 'raw' weights, and often put 'raw', 'dry', 'uncooked' in my search along with the item, otherwise I get a lot of hits for after-cooking entries.
  • morey235
    Options
    Nikion901---thank you also.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do it raw op.
  • morey235
    Options
    harrybananas
    thank you for reply
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I mean, the manufacturer didn't cook it before analyzing the calorie/macro proportions. So the nutritional information listed on the label won't be "cooked" unless specifically saying so.