Not losing weight- all protein diet

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rah013 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for your reply, and the awesome advice... I honestly value everyone's input.

So here's my information below.

So I'm only 5'4 weighing at 82kgs (currently at 80kgs)

Female and 24 years old

I believe I have no health conditions.

I only started an "protein diet" to curb my cravings and reduce my appetite as I believe I may have an addiction to eating. As obviously shows due to my weight and height.

You are 175 and 5'4, which is overweight, sure, but not obvious evidence of an eating addiction which I'd associate more with people who are morbidly obese or have serious bingeing problems. If you lose 30 lbs you will be in the healthy range. It's not a reason to do an extreme diet. If you think lowering carbs would help, I'd recommend checking out some common low carb plans, like Atkins or (not so low except maybe at first) South Beach. The all protein approach is not normally recommended unless as part of a VLCD (which wouldn't normally be appropriate at your weight) and supervised by a doctor.
    So I have not eaten the carb less bars and nuts these last 2 days. I have only eaten meat, eggs and protein shakes and have ensured that I've entered this in my diary as accurate as possible. I drink up to 4 litres of water and 3 cups of green tea, as l I'm really thirsty because I've been bushwalking in the middle of summer.

This sounds super unhealthy, I'm sorry to say. Please research nutrition and eat some vegetables if you don't want to take a more moderate approach like cutting back your higher cal foods.
  • rah013
    rah013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for your reply, and the awesome advice... I honestly value everyone's input.

Female and 24 years old

I only started an "protein diet" to curb my cravings and reduce my appetite as I believe I may have an addiction to eating. As obviously shows due to my weight and height.

You are 175 and 5'4, which is overweight, sure, but not obvious evidence of an eating addiction which I'd associate more with people who are morbidly obese or have serious bingeing problems. If you lose 30 lbs you will be in the healthy range. It's not a reason to do an extreme diet. If you think lowering carbs would help, I'd recommend checking out some common low carb plans, like Atkins or (not so low except maybe at first) South Beach. The all protein approach is not normally recommended unless as part of a VLCD (which wouldn't normally be appropriate at your weight) and supervised by a doctor.
    So I have not eaten the carb less bars and nuts these last 2 days. I have only eaten meat, eggs and protein shakes and have ensured that I've entered this in my diary as accurate as possible. I drink up to 4 litres of water and 3 cups of green tea, as l I'm really thirsty because I've been bushwalking in the middle of summer.

This sounds super unhealthy, I'm sorry to say. Please research nutrition and eat some vegetables if you don't want to take a more moderate approach like cutting back your higher cal foods.

I really do understand that it's an unhealthy approach, and I know I'm not morbidly obese but if you knew what I was putting into my body before hand I'm sure I'll be leading my life towards that and it's something I'm trying to prevent.

I had really bad cravings for sweets and takeaways everyday to the point I felt bad but will still eat it. I tried to eat lots of fruit and veggies as well as meat and even nuts but it never assisted to curb my craving and suppress my appetite faster than me grabbing a block of chocolate.

I need a starting point to stop it and so far it's working. I do really want to start eating healthier and not have to worry about wanting takeaways or sweets.

My main goal is leading a healthier life and a better understanding of food... I'm not stupid in regards to not knowing what's healthy and what's not the matter of fact is setting my mind -set to a healthier lifestyle

For this reason why I had started something so "unhealthy", oddly though I have been getting a spike of energy the last 2 days.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Female and 24 years old

I really do understand that it's an unhealthy approach, and I know I'm not morbidly obese but if you knew what I was putting into my body before hand I'm sure I'll be leading my life towards that and it's something I'm trying to prevent.

I had really bad cravings for sweets and takeaways everyday to the point I felt bad but will still eat it. I tried to eat lots of fruit and veggies as well as meat and even nuts but it never assisted to curb my craving and suppress my appetite faster than me grabbing a block of chocolate.

I need a starting point to stop it and so far it's working. I do really want to start eating healthier and not have to worry about wanting takeaways or sweets.

My main goal is leading a healthier life and a better understanding of food... I'm not stupid in regards to not knowing what's healthy and what's not the matter of fact is setting my mind -set to a healthier lifestyle

For this reason why I had started something so "unhealthy", oddly though I have been getting a spike of energy the last 2 days.

Honestly, a diet with a variety of foods plus junk food sounds healthier than what you are currently attempting.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Can someone pretty please help me! Ok so I have been on a "protein only diet" for 4 days now and have not lost any weight.

Here's what I have been eating.

Breakfast; 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey breast

Snack; protein shake (by Zealande)

Lunch; 2 small Angus sausages

Snack; 2 eggs, 80grms of cashews, 4 slices of turkey

Walked for 1hour and 30 minutes

Dinner; 2 small pieces of surimi, 12 chilli prawns.

Any diet - no matter if it is a Fad Diet or not - all boils down to how many calories go in vs. how many calories you are burning. If there is no deficit between what goes in and what goes out - you are not going to lose weight. Doesn't matter if it is a diet of only eating plants, only eating animals, only eating cookies, only eating protein, only drinking shakes, etc.

You have to maintain a deficit to lose weight.

Be honest and realistic about how many calories you are eating, and how many you are burning. If the math doesn't add up correctly on either side of the CI/CO equation to create a deficit - then adjust accordingly.
  • luteceaimee
    luteceaimee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi rah013,

I'm in the UK and I completely understand where you're coming from. I always crave sugary foods so my way around that is fruit. I struggle to get enough veg in my body and I'm a bit of a carb fiend! I think what you're doing is fine as long as you don't do it for ages (which you seem to know for yourself anyway!)
    Try not to lose too much weight too quickly though, over here we're recommended approx 2lbs per week as a safe amount (though I know it's different for everyone). If you were using this diet as a lifestyle I'd be more concerned but you seem to have your head screwed on and are aware of the reasons why you're doing it i.e to curb your appetite to start with to enable portion control to get sorted.
    I am intrigued to see how this pans out, please keep us updated. And be careful out in the bush; remember sunscreen and plenty of fluids! ☺️

Lutèce
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Female and 24 years old

Honestly, a diet with a variety of foods plus junk food sounds healthier than what you are currently attempting.

Yes, agreed. I used to blow lots of calories on Indian takeout, and despite being a calorie bomb it was rice and/or bread, protein, and a good bit of vegetables (cooked in ghee).

Here's a good nutrition source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

As for cravings, I get that if you've been eating mostly foods you find hyperpalatable that you'd tend to overeat. I don't understand why it's not possible to cut out those foods for a while but still eat a balanced diet -- for example, a vegetable omelet instead of just eggs, a salad with protein instead of just meat (or a shake), a nice balanced meal of meat, vegetable and maybe a starch. If you have reason to think it's carbs causing cravings (so far it sounds like it's more specific and perhaps some lazy/bad habits leading to overeating) there are structured low carb plans that encourage meeting micronutrient needs. My understanding is that Atkins is one such example if you read how it works (and don't just cut carbs and add bacon).

You are getting some fat in the meat, but sat fat is far from the most important fat to get, and you need micronutrients for health. In the short term you might not notice the lack, but that doesn't mean it's not important. If possible, I'd see if you can get a referral to a dietician if you feel like you'd benefit from some help.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Oops, double post.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Female and 24 years old

Absolutely
  • rah013
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Female and 24 years old

Absolutely

Well my body is telling me different otherwise.

I've been eating different variety of meat at the moment as well as eggs and protein shakes. I have sculpt now which has some good stuff in it.

So far the last 2 days and this morning I've been having this sensation of euphoria and I feel fricken amazing!

My body's taken well to this, I'll start adding veggies into my diet tomorrow, as I believe my portion control will be fine.

Ok, if I was to eat 1200 calories of sweets and kfc, I'm going to put it out there I'll be still hungry and this was my biggest issue for me. I had no discipline, but with this "protein diet" I'm not hungry at all. I have to set my alarm to remind myself to eat. So my goal in regards to cravings and appetite is becoming a success.

I haven't weighed myself today... If you're interested I'll let you know tomorrow.

I'm seriously looking forward to eating veggies specifically nice baby spinach, broccoli and masculine salad. Compared to this time last week I'll be out eating cake and coffee or some crap. Then buying takeouts and crying because of my lack of control.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @rah013 Sorry if I missed it, but what's your macro split? carbs/protein/fat. I naturally gravitate toward high protein, if i was left to my own devices I could easily hit 180-200g everyday
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your initial weigh ins are pretty pointless, your intake dictates that you are losing glycogen and a significant amount of water weight and minimal fat. Weigh in 6-8 weeks and take the average across the week...although research shows low carb to low fat diets equalise at around twice that time frame from what I recall

Good that you are expanding your diet to incorporate wider ranging nutritious foods

• rah013
    Options
    Hi rah013,

I'm in the UK and I completely understand where you're coming from. I always crave sugary foods so my way around that is fruit. I struggle to get enough veg in my body and I'm a bit of a carb fiend! I think what you're doing is fine as long as you don't do it for ages (which you seem to know for yourself anyway!)
    Try not to lose too much weight too quickly though, over here we're recommended approx 2lbs per week as a safe amount (though I know it's different for everyone). If you were using this diet as a lifestyle I'd be more concerned but you seem to have your head screwed on and are aware of the reasons why you're doing it i.e to curb your appetite to start with to enable portion control to get sorted.
    I am intrigued to see how this pans out, please keep us updated. And be careful out in the bush; remember sunscreen and plenty of fluids! ☺️

Lutèce

Hey Lutèce,

Finally someone who understands what I'm trying to aim for.

I admit though I doubt this approach is for everyone but for me personally it's going good.

Haha and thanks for the advice! I'll make sure I apply sunscreen and keep hydrated
  • rah013
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Your initial weigh ins are pretty pointless, your intake dictates that you are losing glycogen and a significant amount of water weight and minimal fat. Weigh in 6-8 weeks and take the average across the week...although research shows low carb to low fat diets equalise at around twice that time frame from what I recall

Good that you are expanding your diet to incorporate wider ranging nutritious foods

@rabbitjb

Thanks for that! I'll take that on.

I wasn't aiming to do this in the long run just to cut out my biggest problem with food.

I really like your take on all this, it's good to see different sides and especially the side effects ect.

Question? With water weight, I drink quiet a bit of water around about 4litres as its in the middle of summer here. Your saying even though I'm putting water in I'm still losing water weight?
  • rah013
    Options
    @rah013 Sorry if I missed it, but what's your macro split? carbs/protein/fat. I naturally gravitate toward high protein, if i was left to my own devices I could easily hit 180-200g everyday

@Christine_72

My protein is between 120-150g

How are you going with it? I'm curious to know.

• Christine_72
    edited February 2016
    Options

@Christine_72

Really well. My macro's are

25% carbs-88g
    40% fat-62g
    35% protein-123g which I always go over..

These percentages seem to fit me perfectly.

ETA: I've tried rearranging the % but then I have to lower the fat and Carbs too much, and it just doesn't work! My main aim is to keep my carbs in the green, and let the rest fall where they may.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

@Christine_72

Thanks for the protein - but what are your carbs and fat?

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You'll gain weight or break even in 4 days on most diets simply because your body releases a lot of cortisol (stress hormone) from the change. Not to mention, in your case, you chose some high sodium foods that likely would cause you to retain water. 4 days is "nothing" in dietary terms. How much you eat is what matters, in relation to what you burn. And clearly, you are not accurately counting your calories. You can lose weight on an all "anything" diet if you eat less than you burn.
  • rah013
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    You'll gain weight or break even in 4 days on most diets simply because your body releases a lot of cortisol (stress hormone) from the change. Not to mention, in your case, you chose some high sodium foods that likely would cause you to retain water. 4 days is "nothing" in dietary terms. How much you eat is what matters, in relation to what you burn. And clearly, you are not accurately counting your calories. You can lose weight on an all "anything" diet if you eat less than you burn.

Before I'm considering to lose weight, I want to focus on a healthier life style. As mentioned above I'm not doing this for the long haul and To make a quick weight loss. Realistically it's unrealistic. Calorie control is something I don't want to constantly abide by in the next 5 years or so rather I want to know that all the food I'm consuming is good for my body and that its nurturing it. My biggest problem was self control.

Anywho my initial post was trying to get info into why I never dropped weight in those days because I was believed that I'll drop a little bit of weight being on this protein diet, needs to get insights which amazingly have been.

I am aware that sodium holds water retention and you are obviously right! but honestly I had a bit of back log if you know what I mean, the next day I weighed myself and had lost 2kgs.
  • ashleyminc
    ashleyminc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    P.s some of my snacks have been replaced by Atkins protein bars and carb- less mint choc bars

These tend to have a lot of sugar alcohols etc and may be hindering your quick loss results. Try to stick to real foods.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ashleyminc wrote: »
    P.s some of my snacks have been replaced by Atkins protein bars and carb- less mint choc bars

These tend to have a lot of sugar alcohols etc and may be hindering your quick loss results. Try to stick to real foods.

Agreed, stay away from the prepackaged low carb stuff, I've read many times that they mess up peoples weight loss.
    If you want a high protein and also high fibre bar, I'd recommend Quest bars.