One good week two bad days.

Options
Hi, I'm Jessica Currently 213lbs. My goal is to get down to 150lbs.
I started to put in effort last week, I did really well. I drank a lot of water and kept my calories close to 1,200 and I lost 3lbs this week.
I am at my grandparents this week visiting family... I fell off my diet for two days. I had Chinese food today for dinner and a soda. I had chicken strips and fries yesterday.
It seems really easy to get off track while I'm not home.
I'm trying not to beat myself up about it, I am very scared to jump on the scale.
Does anyone have any advice about keeping to your "diet" while away from home?

Replies

• BrideSept2017
    BrideSept2017 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you didn't personally make a meal/you don't know what's all in it, find something similar in the database, and find out how much will fit in your day before you dish up your plate. That way you can eat what you like and you won't be surprised by the calorie count later.

If you go out to eat, try to find the nutritional info beforehand, and decide what you will order before you go.

You can also 'bank' calories for the weekend if you know you'll be eating/drinking more. Just cut 100-200 off your daily goal each week, and you can go over by that total on the weekend. (Ex- 100 for 5 days= 500 extra calories for the weekend)

All that being said, given your low daily goal, you are probably still in a deficit for the week. Any extra weight you see on the scale in the next day or so is probably water from excess sodium and should drop again in a few days. My stats are similar and I'm eating 1600ish per day (1lb/wk)

Feel free to add me, and we can help keep each other on track! Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Two days is not going to show anything but water weight gain, maybe due to carbs and sodium. I do not think you ate over 7000 calories over your maintenance to gain 2 pounds of fat.

Are you trying to log while at grandma's (this would be hard). You could try to use the palm, fist, thumb rule when portioning out your plate. Its no where perfect, put you can eat smaller portions of food this way. Also, take walks after meals, etc,,

The scale will reveal what it ever it will reveal, can use this as a learning tool for how to work this when the world around you is not revolved around your diet, but you can try to control it by making choices that will fit on the plate in smaller portions. Plus when you have been counting calories for a while you start to know about how many calories there are in certain things.

Grandma's like for you eat her food, so I know this hard to do, especially when she makes desserts that are out of this world..
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i get you. It's trying not to step on those scales and get disheartened with the fluctuations of weight (which is normal) i'd say make your meals yourself so you can gauge how many calories are going into said meal so you can track it. are you exercising? if i know i'm going out for a meal or the likes i try to get a little extra walking/running or sessions at home so i can kinda compensate for the little extra i may eat :)

i started at 212lb and i'm currently sitting 204lb from the 1st Jan. It's just keeping the willpower going and find something that you love to do to take your mind away from the foods.

after having my son 3 years ago i lost 40lbs! but unfortunately got ill and put it all back on :(

hang on in there! you can do it!
  • JessPaul604
    JessPaul604 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice you guys!
    The last night I was back in my hometown I stayed the night at my aunts. We watched a lot of Harry Potter and ate quite a bit of junk food. I knew I would regret it but it was nice in the moment. I am back home now and still haven't jumped on the scale but I am going to take my measurements tomorrow morning.
    Time to get back on track. Next time I am going to be away from home I now know I need a plan.