Does anyone else feel guilty?

Options
I find that I start feeling guilty when I start feeling hungry, like there is something wrong with me for wanting to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I feel like I have no self control. Normally I eat breakfast at around 8 or 9, and then lunch at 1-2, and then dinner at around 6. I just want to know if anybody else feels guilty for not being able to go longer without eating.

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh no don't let these thoughts take over! I used to feel that way, and I was borderline eating disordered (OK looking back on it I definitely was) and it is NO WAY to live your life. Start eating little snacks like almonds or bell peppers. That way if you're hungry you can reach for something SUPER healthy and you can feel GOOD about that choice. Your body NEEDS food and it's OK to be sincerely hungry (appetite is OK, too...just dangerous!). Learn to listen to your cravings and eat what your body NEEDS, not necessarily what it WANTS. Anyway PLEASE recognize when you have a negative thought toward eating, try to determine the cause and remind yourself it's OK to be hungry :) Positive thinking is the ONLY way to go.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have incorporated a mid morning snack and a mid afternoon snack to help with this. Something like a banana, cottage cheese, or yogurt. Something along those lines. Also, now, if I get hungry around 4, for supper, I eat supper. I'd rather eat supper early than binge 2 hours later because I think I'm starving to death. Good luck with your journey!
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nope! Cuz I know that eating that few times a day is not ideal. Eating more often IS! If I am eating a meal that I have planned, and feel satisfied, I save the rest for later. That way I know it is already "counted". I feel like it is free food! I also keep sticks of fruits and veggies handy for snacking. When I need salty, crunchy, like I so often do, I use cheddar rice cakes with a BIG glass of water. Very filling.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty because you shouldn't go that long without eating! Bring snacks to work. I eat breakfast around 9, then a snack of a banana or apple around 10:30. Then lunch at 12:30-1. Then another snack of popcorn or fruit around 3:30. Then Dinner between 6-8 depending on what I'm cooking or if I'm running after work.

Don't starve yourself between meals. Your blood sugar will be more consistent if you snack sensibly during the day. Other options are Greek yogurt, almonds, grapes, celery and hummus, etc. Find what works for you.

Good luck and don't feel guilty about being hungry!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Your question concerns me. It sounds like you've battled an eating disorder in the past or are currently suffering from one. Trying to manage your weight is an issue of control, but not to control eating normal meals. You're supposed to eat those meals. I can understand feeling guilty if you've just completely gorged yourself with food at those meals and you're exceeding your daily caloric need. It sounds like you need some balance and need to loosen your reigns a bit. If you don't get a handle on this now, you're going to wind up going down a bad road and it's not worth it. We here at MFP are always here for your support. Best of luck to you!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    No, don't feel guilty! Every 3 hours you don't feed your body it start preparing for starvation mode and slows down your metabolism! Snacks, healthy ones, between meals are a good thing!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't care if I weigh 500 pounds, I'm not going to feel guilty for doing something I have to do in order to live.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh the guilt cycle... I know it well.
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy it.

The reason being, when I go without food for ages and am not hungry, it basically means my metabolism is slowing and that means it'll hold on to fat.

if you're genuinely hungry (and make sure to have a full glass of water first, and that it's not boredome) then it means your metabolism is firing. The more you make your body trust that it won't starve (bear in mind our body are genetically prepared to cope with famines over the course of THOUSANDS of years) the more it'll let go of fat.

Just ask yourself this... we have evolved from a pool of goo in some pool somewhere. What makes you think you're the one person in all of mankind's history to defy what the body needs? You're not, so don't beat yourself up.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Try doing some research of how you're really wanting to eat. If you're hungry all of the time try eating more clean, low-carb foods with higher protein. If you take the time to educate yourself about what you're eating and what it's doing for your body then you can switch those feelings of guild to good. I eat 6-8x's per day. I used to do weight watchers and now have set out to compeete in IFBB Bikini competitions next year. I always wanted to look like a fitness model and with lots of research, I've learned what I need to do to get me there. Now, I feel AMAZING, I eat ALOT of food and don't feel hungry but when I do, I know what to grab to feel good about it. Plus, with some planning, you can plan for items that are not as "clean" to get indulge a bit without feeling guilty about that either. You're human.

Also, try changing your thoughts... everytime you're thinking something mean towards yourself, stop yourself and try to think of somethign completely different... then work your way up to thinking somethign positive. :-)

Good luck.

Try www.bodybuilding.com I found TONS of motivating stories and ways to eat on there.
  • justavoice1989
    justavoice1989 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    its generally ideal to eat 6 small meals a day ANYWAY!!! so just sticking to breakfast lunch and dinner isnt really all that realistic. some ppl can do it but most cant! i like to have snacks in between my meals.. and depending on how many calories i have to spend i might have four regular meals a day. also choose to snack on things like apples, grapes, and used wheat bread instead of white because the fiber and whole grain keeps you fuller longer! and if you get realllly hungry, try chewing some gum. sometimes just needing somethingto chew on is what you really need. oh and drink water!
  • nhsponge
    nhsponge Posts: 5
    Options
    I feel real good when I am following my diet plan exactly and I am on target for the calories I am suppose to eat in a day. When, like yesterday, I went crazy and ate an extra 1,500 calories of sweets I start to feel real guilty; in fact a lot of bad thoughts go through my head. Then comes the remorse and the feeling of I am never going to get to my goal. How fat am I going to look tomorrow and such, and even the well maybe I should just throw it up. Ugh, all these things we do to look better.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Yes, I feel guilty as soon as I open the cupboard, but the guilt doesn't stop me from eating. I recognise that I eat when emotional rather than when hungry. Learning to recognise genuine hunger, and also when you no longer feel hungry is a great skill to have. If I could eat ONLY when I am hungry I would never have gained weight in the first place. A wide variety of healthy snacks is a great help. One of my favourite standbys is sugar free jelly (jello?) with fresh fruit. Keep your chin up and good luck with your journey x
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I do- I have to snack ALOT or my blood sugar gets too low...something I need to go have checked :embarassed: - but I hate seeing 20 things under my snack list! It makes me feel so bad...
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do- I have to snack ALOT or my blood sugar gets too low...something I need to go have checked :embarassed: - but I hate seeing 20 things under my snack list! It makes me feel so bad...

Actually it hadn't occured to me how potentially damaging the system is. It reinforces the "you eat three times a day, and anything else outside of that time is a snack". Even the word snack has negative connotations. "I've been snacking" etc.

I realise it makes it easier to see, but it'd be nice to see it based upon time of the day rather than particular sittings.

But I do bundle mine. So I eat breakfast in two goes, so just call that breakfast.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I don't feel guilty about that and you shouldn't either. Some days, it seems I keep satisfied easily between my meals and snacks and other days, I seem to get hungry shortly after I've eaten. I just try to drink some water and get busy until my next meal. That's why personally, I like to split up my meals and eat every 3 hrs, give or take.