Food weighers...how much potato and pasta do you have??

Options
I need carbs for a meal to feel like a meal but i'm always scared of over doing and I'm just curious of how much other people have and what the average is :)

I tend to stick to 170g of potato or 60g of uncooked pasta with my dinner. what about you guys?

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    170g/6oz of potato is perfect for me as a side to dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Potato is around 170g yeah, which is about a medium one in my experience. For pasta it depends, if it's a pasta dish, I'll have 84g, of it's just a side (which is rare for me), 56g is plenty.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For dinner, if it's a meat-starch-veg meal, I use 50 grams of pasta/rice/grains, or 275-300 grams potato/sweet potato (depending on size). I'm in maintenance; when I was losing weight, I tried to keep spud levels to around 225-250 grams. For vegetarian dinner meals, I'll increase the amount of grains/pasta; depending in the dish, up to 100 grams - but things like Minestrone soup will have only a small amount of pasta as an "accessory". For lunch, I use the same amount of grains whether it's in the form of porridge, or in a salad, omelette etc, 40 grams.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    My procedure for this is to log the protein and half a bag of frozen veg. then determine how much potato or pasta to cook based on the calories remaining. It's usually 2 servings of pasta, or somewhere around 400 grams of potato. If I had MORE calories left after that, I'd probably go looking for some cheese... or see if there was a box of brownie mix in the cupboard.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I do 100g of potatoes (weighing them raw), and 35-40g dry pasta. It all depends on how much calories you're having for the meal. My meals are usually 300 kcal, and I like to have my carbs, veggies, protein and some green salad.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I usually have 50g--dry weight of pasta, plus vegetables.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't have a definitive amount. I just grab a potato, weigh it and fit it into my goal. Pasta usually is a little more controlled, but usually ends up being 1.5-2 servings (according to box.. so like 112g or something).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I go with whatever the pasta serving size is (usually 56 grams), although if I'm a bit over or under I don't care and I've been known to have a smaller serving size if saving calories. Potatoes are usually around 100 g, but again it depends on what else I'm eating, how much I have (if I have a potato that's 110, I'll eat it all, if I only have 70 g left, that's okay), calories available for dinner, and whether I think I need more carbs for some reason.
  • KevFit413
    KevFit413 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually go for about 45-50g per meal.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't really like pasta, but for potatoes or rice or another grain, I usually eat around 100-150g of starchy things at dinner, cooked weight. Seems like a moderate enough portion to satisfy my needs and works within my total dietary goals.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    As a side...28g uncooked pasta. As the main...56g.

I dont eat potatoes unless they are fried..so i rarely have them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Generally 56 grams of dried pasta too. I'm more flexible with potatoes.