Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    UG77 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

While water sauté is fine if that's what you want to do, to say is olive oil is empty calories couldn't be more wrong. Fats are a macro that should be eaten and olive oil is full of good fats.

This.

Of course you need to be mindful of the calories fats contain, but don't get on board the "cut out all the fats" train. They are a very necessary macronutrient (in appropriate amounts) for several bodily functions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

Use less than a TBSP?
    That said, many oils are very good for you.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=C97B1FF2-E109-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Hmm, I'll stick to a dash of oil.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just because something is low calorie it doesn't mean it is healthy. Healthy describes a full diet not a food item.

Don't get caught out by calories. Protein is 4 calories per gram as is carbs. Fats are 9 and alcohol is 7.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Get an olive oil mister, they are awesome. You can fully spray vegetables for only a gram or two of olive oil. It saves a ton of calories.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have a Misto oil mister that I use to limit the amount of olive oil I put in my food. When sauteing I spray a bit in a pan, rather than pour out oil from the bottle.

I love olive oil, but I'm still in weight loss mode.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

I've always known that olive oil had lots of calories -- it's pure fat. So I didn't come to a realization that I recall. I use small amounts of olive oil and, of course, log the calories when logging. (And I overdid it with olive oil, among other things, when gaining weight, but I knew the olive oil was high cal.)

People say it's good for you and it's popular because (1) it tastes good, (2) it is pretty good for you based on the profile of the fat in it (so are olives), and (3) being low cal is by no means the same thing as "healthy."
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The misters do work very well.

I feel the need to go roast some cauliflower now.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, you don't need a tablespoon unless you're making a very large amount of something. A teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (only 40 calories) goes a long way with flavor. And it has a lot of health benefits and helps you feel full. So I disagree with the person saying it is empty calories.

Everyone finds different foods to be more or less worth their calories. But EVOO is actually not very hard to slide into your calories if you enjoy it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For roasting I just use olive oil spray.

Otherwise, when I use olive oil, it's 1 tsp per serving of food, usually.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes it does have a lot of calories, but it makes certain dishes taste so good that you are happy and satisfied after a meal, which makes dieting easier. You need fat in your diet anyway, so might as well be the delicious kind. That tablespoon you see used? It's usually for an entire multi-serving recipe, so you actually end up with a teaspoon or less in your meal, but since olive oil has a distinct taste that stands out, that teaspoon goes a long way. It improves the taste and the texture of some dishes. Do log it though. Everything you eat has calories.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The purpose of eating olive oil is to add it in your diet as a good source of fat. You do need fat in your diet, and fat is high in calories, no way around this.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Any fat is high in calories. Just be careful with it. I live in Italy and EVOO is used almost excusively. The flavor in the good stuff is incredible and worth every calorie. You need good fats especially if you're exercising.
  • dilhun77
    dilhun77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am going to try the water sauté... Havent ever tried that. Just put a Tbsp of water in the pan? I have tried the sprays which is fine - - but I just don't understand why everyone is pouring olive oil over all their veggies - and it is HIGH in calorie
    I make lots ov veggies like that in a pan with a little water they turn out great n no added calories
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

A single 1 tablespoon serving contains 2 grams of artery-damaging saturated fat. That’s the about the same as eating two-thirds of a McDonald’s hamburger.
  • yaninabb
    yaninabb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a good fat. I don't use much, I use the spray olive and coconut oil
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

A single 1 tablespoon serving contains 2 grams of artery-damaging saturated fat. That’s the about the same as eating two-thirds of a McDonald’s hamburger.

Real food is almost always better than the fake manufactured substitute, in taste AND nutrition.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I use and log olive oil. Eating fats like that helps keep you full so yes, 1-2 tbsps seems like a lot but then you might eat less junk throughout the day. Usually its tossed to coat veggies and I split up those veggies over a couple meals so it's ok.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone ever claimed it was a low calorie food.
    It is a healthy fat, which your body needs. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is lower calorie, but not a healthy fat.
    Your choice what you want to use.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually use 1 tsp max per meal of olive oil, regular oil and butter (that comes to an average of 40kcal extra per meal - tsp/tbsp is a bit smaller here than what it is in US).
    Olive oil is healthier for you, but only when eaten in moderation. It's a big myth that using big amounts of healthy fats is healthy, they're still fats and will result in weight gain or health issues if not eaten in moderation.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    1 TBS of oil is a LOT of oil for one serve of veg. I use a tsp and that's plenty.