Question about lifestyle and step counter

Options
Hi, new to this!

I have just updated my profile and as my job is being a postman the app suggested i set my lifestyle as "active".

However, i need to lose alot of weight - and as i use my iPhone on delivery it adds up the steps i take each day which is then updated to the fitness pal app.

My question is will the two bits of data mess up how many calories i should be eating to lose weight?

The amount of steps i take each day are mostly from my job, like today i have travelled nearly 8miles already. However this is kind of part of my "active" lifestyle but also now being added to the exercise i do each day aswell.

I just wondered if there was conflict here or whether the miles i cover each day should be considered exercise.

Thanks.
Marty

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your fit tracker is truly synced with MFP, you should be only getting additional calories when you move *more* than what your activity level would indicate. All movement before that wouldn't get additional calories credited. What kind of adjustments are you actually seeing?
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Hello Marty, it sounds as though you are, in essence, double counting. I have set my activity level low now that I have been counting my steps.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would not eat back the calories you burn from walking.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm listed as sedentary (desk job) and use a fitbit. The steps don't start giving me additional calories until I've done at least 2000 and on the rare lazy day I don't make that. Try it for a few days and see at what level you actually start earning extra - your activity level should mean you need to walk further before seeing any extra
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm also set to sedentary. I don't get extra cals until about 5000 steps. It does not double count. That's what "syncing" is all about.
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, i think im getting the hang of the app. It actually says I haven't done any exercise today despite walking for 3 hours non-stop for work and i am waaay under my suggested calorie intake for today so im confident i have it working properly.

Starving hungry going bed. Day one finished. It says in 5 weeks time i would have lost a stone and abit more, though not counting treat days! Fingers crossed this works.
  • stellabest99
    stellabest99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Marty.. it gets easier :-)
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I actually managed to do it once before and got in good shape, though that was with running 5 times a week, 4 miles a day, and when i had time. Now i have a 2 year old and i am already too tired after work to start that routine again! Maybe soon though.