Starting with a trainer...

Options
okaytori
okaytori Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am getting married in October and I want to be in my best shape! I've been a member of a new gym since January but I've only been able to use the treadmill. I'm so intimidated by all of the other equipment and possibly the other patrons. I have an appointment to see a trainer starting Monday and I'm super anxious about it (sometimes I'm too shy). Please tell me it's not that bad!

Replies

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to lift weights for several years now, but my lack of knowledge and my fear and intimidation have held me back. I finally hired a trainer a month ago. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made! Not only is my physical health improving, but it has also done wonders for my mental health. I feel amazing and powerful. I have learned so much! I no longer feel intimidated. I deserve to be there lifting just as much as anyone else! And I'll let you in on a little secret--there are lots of really nice people lifting weights alongside me. I hope you love it as much as I do!
  • okaytori
    Options
    Thank you so much! That definitely makes me feel better. I'd rather risk my comfort zone to feel better and to work out the right way!
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I'm ridiculously "gym-shy" too. But just do it- you won't regret it.

The first hardest part is done - you have an appointment. Next hardest is actually showing up. If your trainer is a good fit for YOU (and that's important...s/he has to be comfortable to be around), make your next appointment before you leave. There's less anxiety every time you go.

The big veiny trainers scare me and pushy, salespeople type trainers just suck. I tried a woman trainer and she handed me a cookie-cutter work out and told me to call her back when I could do it. Finally, I met this one trainer at a brand new, tiny gym and we clicked. This guy knows my weight. He knows my measurements and where I struggle with my diet. He sees me sweat in places I'd rather not mention. (He has also accidentally seen the "jelly roll" on more than one occasion.) He's seen me fall on my butt, fail a lift over and over and walked me through a new move that I was nervous about trying. It's not surprising to get a text after a rough work out that says "Hey- you did a great job today powering through!" or on Pizza Friday in our house I'll get "treat yourself, but don't cheat yourself tonight!" He genuinely loves what he does and it shows. Find someone that treats you like a person and not a paycheck.
  • okaytori
    Options
    That's fantastic! I have only spoken with Lewis on the phone but he was super easy to talk to right away. I hope that it's that way in person! I just have to force myself to get to the consultation. It's at 8am Monday morning so that's my biggest struggle haha. I need something to force me off my butt and into shape and this is the only way I can think of.

Thank you for such a positive story!!
  • Gwennie60
    Gwennie60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love working out with my trainer! I have hired trainers before and they have all been mostly good experiences. Although, like mrp56839, I did have one trainer that put me through a cookie cutter workout, the same workout he put all his other clients through -- and required two a days. It was my first experience with a trainer and I hung in there for 8 months before I finally said, enough is enough! I want someone that works for me, sets up a program for me and if I need/want more, is willing to help me design a good cardio workout or accessory exercise (like yoga or flexibility training) to go with the strength training program they have designed. What I do not want is someone to require me (at 60+ lbs overweight) to work out on the same level as people way more fit than me, on the same program -- like an athlete two times a day. I was so miserable but I did it for 8 months (while I was getting ready for my wedding). Now, I won't say I didn't get results because I did! What I also got was an injury because my "trainer" didn't want to tailor my program to ME. So like mrp56839 said, make sure the trainer is a fit FOR YOU and that s/he listens to you because you know your body. Pushing you past your comfort zone is one thing -- pushing to injury is another. If you don't feel it is a good fit, don't be afraid to ask for another trainer. It doesn't mean s/he isn't good at his job, s/he just might not be the right fit for you -- and that is okay!

Having said that, I have had several trainers and they have all had different styles and been so much help. Right now, I have a really fun trainer that has a great sense of humor and trusts me to know my body, and I trust him to push me harder than I would push myself, without pushing me over that cliff. I look forward to my workouts and I know without a doubt, that there are days that I get my butt to that gym because I don't want to disappoint him! HAHA Motivation is motivation, right?

You will love it! I know it was the best decision I made! Good luck!
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If I could afford a personal trainer, I would do it. I'm extremely shy in public and new places. due to a knee injury/surgery I went to PT for nearly six months. My sessions after surgery were intense. They pushed me and I think having "strangers" watching me helped me push myself. I didn't want to look pathetic :tongue:
  • mrp56839
    Options
    Gwennie60 wrote: »
    I love working out with my trainer! I have hired trainers before and they have all been mostly good experiences. Although, like mrp56839, I did have one trainer that put me through a cookie cutter workout, the same workout he put all his other clients through -- and required two a days. It was my first experience with a trainer and I hung in there for 8 months before I finally said, enough is enough! I want someone that works for me, sets up a program for me and if I need/want more, is willing to help me design a good cardio workout or accessory exercise (like yoga or flexibility training) to go with the strength training program they have designed. What I do not want is someone to require me (at 60+ lbs overweight) to work out on the same level as people way more fit than me, on the same program -- like an athlete two times a day. I was so miserable but I did it for 8 months (while I was getting ready for my wedding). Now, I won't say I didn't get results because I did! What I also got was an injury because my "trainer" didn't want to tailor my program to ME. So like mrp56839 said, make sure the trainer is a fit FOR YOU and that s/he listens to you because you know your body. Pushing you past your comfort zone is one thing -- pushing to injury is another. If you don't feel it is a good fit, don't be afraid to ask for another trainer. It doesn't mean s/he isn't good at his job, s/he just might not be the right fit for you -- and that is okay!

Having said that, I have had several trainers and they have all had different styles and been so much help. Right now, I have a really fun trainer that has a great sense of humor and trusts me to know my body, and I trust him to push me harder than I would push myself, without pushing me over that cliff. I look forward to my workouts and I know without a doubt, that there are days that I get my butt to that gym because I don't want to disappoint him! HAHA Motivation is motivation, right?

You will love it! I know it was the best decision I made! Good luck!

Omg, I don't think I could have done 8 months of that. I'm glad that you found your good fit! And I totally agree with not wanting to disappoint him. Some days you just have to dig That deep for the motivation!

Usually it's just me and my PT at the gym (on the floor at least), but today I actually had two great trainers working with me! (The one was working out himself and came over to us) It was funny listening to them debate about my program, my form, how many reps I was on.... It was all eyes me day, but they have good intentions and it really wasn't uncomfortable.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I've had several trainers over the years. It's a great tool to help you. The good fit part is the most important. If you feel uncomfortable, or that it's just not right, someone else may be better. Don't worry if that happens and you have to go elsewhere, they should understand that. I've been lucky with mine. I recently used one for 9 sessions to help me get a weight lifting/strength training foundation and schedule going. I've been losing weight for a long time, but mostly cardio and it was more than time to add that. She was recommended by the dietician at the wellness center I go to. I knew who she was from having seen her around the place. We emailed back and forth a few times. I was very specific about what I'd been doing up to that point and what I wanted to work on. She understood and I was happy before we even started. The sessions went great, she helped me overcome the infamous intimidation from going to the free weights section of the gym (she's 5'0", love that she's shorter than me), worked on my form and made several different workouts for me that were both emailed as well as put in a folder there. I'm doing well on my own since my appts ended in October, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to her for a few more down the road. We still wave and chit chat and she suggested a 5K I might be interested in, which I signed up for - as did she.

One little tip and it's happened in other places too - a warmup is essential and most of the trainers I've had like 5-10 mins on the treadmill, so I'd get there before the appt and do that on my own time, rather than have that cut into the hour with the trainer.

Good luck!
  • okaytori
    Options
    Had my session this morning and it went so well! I really like him. Super easy to talk to. It's also so early that there weren't too many people around. Maybe I'll stop being so shy one day. Thanks to everyone for your help and kind words!
  • mrp56839
    Options
    okaytori wrote: »
    Had my session this morning and it went so well! I really like him. Super easy to talk to. It's also so early that there weren't too many people around. Maybe I'll stop being so shy one day. Thanks to everyone for your help and kind words!

Fantastic! WTG! Every time you go now, it's going to get easier. (I love the empty gym too - we had the whole place to ourselves today. Makes some of the silly moves *almost* bearable...)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love my PT, I've learned a lot from him. He's lent me many of his own books on fitness & nutrition. Don't be afraid to ask questions about your workout, exercises, nutrition, etc. if they can't answer they should let you know. You'll learn proper exercise technique & how to use the different equipment so you'll feel very comfortable even working out on the equipment in no time. Best wishes & have fun!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Right step if you need instruction on equipment you don't know how to use.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I also have a trainer and would highly recommend it. I was really finding it hard to go into the weights room and just wanted someone to show me how to do things properly. Now I've been working with him for over 6 months and have totally changed my attitude to the gym. I love working out and it's great to have someone else to be accountable too.

It sounds like you've found a good one so I'm sure it'll work out for you too. :smile:
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lucky! You got a personal trainer to introduce you. I wish I had one before I started. It would had not taken me too long to trek on the Freeweights section :3 I have bad anxiety attacks, other social phobia, and another stuff :'( so it was hard to step into the gym. My fear of public embarrassment has left me crippled and never came back to the place where humiliation I felt occur. But I decided to go to the gym for my mental health, my Pdoc says it is the best since I gave up on psych meds. Anywho, I was extremely terrified of the weight machines. I know there is instruction at the equipment. I tried copying it and in my head "people are laughing at me because I somehow doing it wrong" It came along with other related repetitive thoughts (All negative ones). Furthermore, the weight section intimidated me more. It took me months of going through YouTube and websites to practice most of the exercise I will do in proper form at home w/ imaginary weights :D (I cannot afford a personal trainer at that time). When I developed the confidence, I was unstoppable. I never gave up and loved it ever since!