"She can eat whatever she wants and not gain a pound!"

Options
So I have a rant about weight loss.. Far too often, I see people who look at others and say, "he can eat whatever he wants," or, "she eats a ton of junk and stays skinny!" For your own sanity, stop it. 

The old saw, "You put this weight on over years, you can't lose it overnight," holds true here too. At a high level, ten pounds is around 35,000 calories*. Taken over the course of a year, that's just 96 calories per day. That's the difference between losing five pounds in a year and gaining five pounds in the same year. Less than a tablespoon of olive oil, each day, is the difference between maintaining weight and gaining ten pounds over the course of a year, or nearly a pound every month. 100 calories per day is a stunningly small amount, burned through just 20 minutes of walking, a half hour of cooking, or any number of normal, every day activities.

It's not that others can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. Saying that sets you up for long-term defeat. They simply regulate their diet better, and match the calories in to calories out more effectively. Once upon a time, survival was driven by being able to pack on the fat in times of plenty to survive through leaner ones. We're just better adapted to that.

Don't let that stop you from losing the weight though! You're not doomed to forever eat more than you need. You can control it, and impart upon yourself the same eating habits that others have developed, whether innately or through training themselves too. Small differences, like one tablespoon of fat every day, is the difference between success and stagnation. 

* If you don't like my number, feel free to substitute your own, but don't let that disagreement detract from the central premise that small changes, made habit through consistency, are key to long-term success.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Mostly agree - except changes need to be significant. Small changes are absorbed by a process called homeostasis - hence why adding 100 cals a day won't result in a 10 lb gain. Your NEAT will increase slightly, etc.

But aside from that caveat - strong changes, consistency and persistence are a key to long-term success.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So I have a rant about weight loss.. Far too often, I see people who look at others and say, "he can eat whatever he wants," or, "she eats a ton of junk and stays skinny!" For your own sanity, stop it. 

The old saw, "You put this weight on over years, you can't lose it overnight," holds true here too. At a high level, ten pounds is around 35,000 calories*. Taken over the course of a year, that's just 96 calories per day. That's the difference between losing five pounds in a year and gaining five pounds in the same year. Less than a tablespoon of olive oil, each day, is the difference between maintaining weight and gaining ten pounds over the course of a year, or nearly a pound every month. 100 calories per day is a stunningly small amount, burned through just 20 minutes of walking, a half hour of cooking, or any number of normal, every day activities.

It's not that others can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. Saying that sets you up for long-term defeat. They simply regulate their diet better, and match the calories in to calories out more effectively. Once upon a time, survival was driven by being able to pack on the fat in times of plenty to survive through leaner ones. We're just better adapted to that.

Don't let that stop you from losing the weight though! You're not doomed to forever eat more than you need. You can control it, and impart upon yourself the same eating habits that others have developed, whether innately or through training themselves too. Small differences, like one tablespoon of fat every day, is the difference between success and stagnation. 

* If you don't like my number, feel free to substitute your own, but don't let that disagreement detract from the central premise that small changes, made habit through consistency, are key to long-term success.

Good thoughts......thank you.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you.
    I can't talk about food to other people cause I'm "one of those people who eat and don't gain weight".
    Not true!
    I'm just on my own eating and workout regime that keeps me from gaining weight. For instance, today I can eat a bit below 2,800 calories. But it's been clean eating, carbs, protein and fat - weight lifting, core workout and treadmill, not to mention I got in over 6,000 steps at work today in 5 hours.
    Believe me, I have to work really hard to eat a lot.
    And in about 15 minutes, I'll be on shut off time for not eating (at 7 PM) and won't start eating again till 7 AM.
    So I have to hurry right now and get something else to eat so my stomach has something to digest on and growing muscles have fuel for the night.