I'm starving - what do people eat for snacks?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I've been fighting to lose those few extra pounds for years and what always gets me is plain old hunger. Raw veggies don't stop the hunger pains. Dairy makes me break out like crazy even at my old age (52) and a piece of fruit is unsatisfying if my stomach is really growling. I end up grabbing nuts - which I know are highly caloric unless I eat like 8 or something even worse.

It's only midday and I'm hungry enough to eat all the calories I have left for the day - plus my workout is happening later, which is sure to add to my hunger.

If you are truly hungry, and not just craving, chances are you are under on calories, fat, and/or protein, and/or your timing of meals is off. If you only have a few pounds to lose, you need to set your goal to no more than 0.5 pounds per week, this will give you more calories/food than if you go for 1 or 2 pounds a week. You don't have to snack, but you have to hit your nutritional goals - calories, fat, protein and carbs. It is no wonder if just veggies or fruit don't stop the hunger, they are mostly carbs. Add some fat and protein to them. Eat the nuts, fruit and vegetables together. Instead of dairy, you can build up your meals with oil, eggs, fatty fish or fattier cuts of meat, along with grains and potatoes.

Cosigned.

I make sure my snacks have protein (plus fat and carbs). I eat a lot of cottage cheese - does all dairy make you break out? What about a hard boiled egg plus carrots or something with carbs and fiber?
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Porridge
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks are 90% lindt chocolate and almonds. Are you eating enough protein and fats though? If you're constantly hungry you may want to up one of those.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Home made houmous with whole raw veg dipped in.... delicious
  • jordanwalsh1025
    jordanwalsh1025 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink diet hot chocolate!! It feels me up and I get my chocolate fix. It really does work
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I've been fighting to lose those few extra pounds for years and what always gets me is plain old hunger. Raw veggies don't stop the hunger pains. Dairy makes me break out like crazy even at my old age (52) and a piece of fruit is unsatisfying if my stomach is really growling. I end up grabbing nuts - which I know are highly caloric unless I eat like 8 or something even worse.

It's only midday and I'm hungry enough to eat all the calories I have left for the day - plus my workout is happening later, which is sure to add to my hunger.

What are your go to snacks?

Thanks!

I don't know if your daily calories will allow for it, but for me personally a "snack" doesn't do ANYTHING unless its got at least 200-300 cals. I used to try eating an apple as a snack...ha! Did not help my hunger.
    So I usually eat 1/4 cup almonds (170 cals) plus one oz of full fat cheese (100 cals) which fills me up nicely due to the fat content and some fiber from the nuts. Another awesome snack is avocado & tomato on toast. I use half an avocado, sliced up tomato on one or two pieces of low cal wheat bread. So filling and delish.

Whatever you snack on, make sure its got some fat/protein to keep you going.
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like to roll up turkey and dip it in some freshly made hummus. When that gets old I reach for an apple and some protein peanut butter ($$ but it's yummy enough to keep me away from sweets). A brown rice cake with either a tablespoon of PB on top or some kind of animal protein and avocado mashed on top is super yummy and filling too for a snack. Or some kind of non-dairy based protein shake, since you're dairy sensitive.

Going for protein is my go-to snack. Keeps me feeling fuller much longer than anything else.
  • samg135
    samg135 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas.

I love peanuts but have no control when eating them so have switched to chickpeas. Roast in the oven with a little oil and whichever seasonings you like.
  • matty86suk
    matty86suk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My evening sweet tooth craving is cured by half a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Jaffa cake
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I'm going for flavor, and not health: Melba snack toast, a weight watchers icecream, fudgsicle, handful of nuts.

For healthier choices: sliced cucumber, baby carrots, spinach (raw, if you eat at least a handful it really does stave off hunger cravings), apple, fiber bar if I gotta be quick and dirty about it
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    rice cake with peanut butter, protein bar
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas everyone!
    Maybe I am being too ambitious - I want to lose around 13 lbs - I'm trying to do a calorie count that would have me lose 1 lbs a week, so maybe I need to dial it back to a half pound. I also definitely have a hard time incorporating protein and I'm sure that would be more filling than my usual choices. Thanks again!

Perfect!
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try some protein packed snacks, spaced the ought out the day and make sure your calories are enough to start with! You should eat every 3-4 hours, with protein at every meal. Some of my favorites are deli turkey rolled up with a string cheese, smoked salmon on rice crackers, beef jerky, and 0% Greek yogurt
  • gemmaebartlett
    gemmaebartlett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Volume is key when trying to stave off hunger pangs.

Think piles of low cal veggies salads, I would also have a look at how much protein and fat you're getting compared to carbs. Protein and fat are better at providing longer lasting satiety.

Finally, being hungry, particularly at the start is an unfortunate part of reducing your energy intake. You are not going to completely eradicate it. Sometimes you just have to deal with being hungry until it passes (which it will do). I know a lot of people struggle with feeling anxious and frustrated by hunger because we are so used responding to it immediately. Maybe have a look at why it bothers you so much and learn to make peace with feeling it occasionally.
  • michelleg85
    michelleg85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Water consumption helps me. I often think I am super hungry and then have a big glass of water and realize that's what I needed. Also, after I eat a snack (even if it is just those 8 nuts), I wait about half an hour. I am always surprised to see how full a small amount of food can make me if I just wait a little while and let it settle in my stomach. And when all else fails, I eat popcorn! Oh, and tea helps me too :)
  • bcherniwchan445
    bcherniwchan445 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Isalean protein bar
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all of these great ideas! I'm feeling hopeful ;)