Not sure about goal weight

Options
I'm not sure how to set a goal weight. The healthiest weight - or at least the best-looking - I've ever been was at age 18 - a full 18 years ago (36 now) - and I weighed 160 and sported the coveted 6-pack abs (why did I let those go?!). Anyway, since then I've definitely put on a lot of muscle and getting back down to that weight seems unreasonable, if not impossible, without sacrificing the muscle I've built. At 5'10" I'm rather broad-shouldered, and I wouldn't say I have a bodybuilder's physique (weighing 255 these days) but I can definitely say I've put on a lot of muscle over the years. Wouldn't it be better to set a target BMI? The only thing is, how can I figure out what weight I would be at when I hit a target BMI? I think the BMI charts are useless because they don't take into account body types. I have one of those handheld BMI things (the same one the local hospital uses), so it's easy enough to track. However, I just can't visualize what a goal weight would be with a healthy BMI. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I agree with you that BMI charts are generalizations and don't apply to everyone. I eventually set my goal based on how I felt at that weight before--even thought it's 15 lbs above what the height/weight charts say is "normal."

Why not set a goal like 10% less than you are now, and see how you feel there? If you're not satisfied there, make your next goal another 10%?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    I have a conservative goal weight in mind and will see how I feel when I get there.
  • SOCKMONKEYBOBO
    SOCKMONKEYBOBO Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think setting a goal may sometimes be the wrong way to go about it. I've had success determining a workable intake and setting my goal based on that intake. I am comfortable @ 1500 calories and it loses me 15 lbs in 5 weeks. I've lost 44 lbs so far
  • hobbesent
    hobbesent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I need to focus more on BMI than anything, even though the device I have is probably not completely accurate. And I'm definitely feeling much better since I started losing weight... but man, do I have a long way to go!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    hobbesent wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I need to focus more on BMI than anything, even though the device I have is probably not completely accurate. And I'm definitely feeling much better since I started losing weight... but man, do I have a long way to go!

As long as you persevere, you will get there! Nov 2014 I was at 270.. but today I weighed in at 193! For me, approaching it as a daily decision to make healthy choices and practice restraint has helped. That and focusing on "the next 5 lbs" instead of worrying about how far I have to go.

Also, our goal weights are all rather arbitrary. So find one that you're comfortable with. You can always look up a BMI chart and pick a random number (top of the healthy, middle healthy, middle overweight, whatever floats your boat) and reassess when you get there. Or near there. Or whenever you decide "hey, I kick *kitten* now!".
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you've built muscle just...start cutting. You'll figure out where you want to be. Even with a decent amount of muscle, you'll still probably want to be within what is considered a "healthy weight" for your height. I'm bulking right now and at the tip of the healthy weight for my height, but I wouldn't consider it "unhealthy" considering my body composition.