Morbidly Obese and Scared

Options
Well I'm s 38 year old...5'9" 365 pound man, with major lower back problems. I am at a point in my life, where I know I need to change my life, but I never follow through with what I know and that is that if I don't take control of my weight, I can lose my ability to walk, ability to work, ability to live a life that I always saw for myself. I am married and my unhealthy ways have my wife worried and stressed which stresses me, which is a trigger to eat for me. I guess my question is with all this weight I need to lose, I just have questions if others are in my situation and what worked for you or is working for you. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• dvis334
    dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hey man I have a close relative in almost the exact situation as you. You're on here and looking to make a change and get some support while you do it. That's a great first step. My advice to you is remain consistent and aim high. Learn as much as you can and apply it to your daily life. Your body is going to change when you make it a priority. Weight manipulation is all about calories in vs calories out. Find your maintenance, decrease it gradually by 300-500 calories/week, eat clean, measure weight and body stats weekly, and incorporate some HIIT into your cardio training. Also, since you mentioned back problems make mobility stretches and exercises a staple of your routines. Finally, look into water aerobics classes!!
  • eds527
    eds527 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! Let me just say Congrats on taking the first step to a healthier life! Exercise, starting off with light walking daily, is definitely a good start. Nutrition is also important. Eating the proper foods at the right time will help boost your metabolism. Like dvis334 said though, calories in vs calories out will change your weight. If you'd like to add me I'd love to be part of your journey to a healthier you!
  • bekkahdiltz
    bekkahdiltz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 9 years younger and in a similar situation. My weight hasn't really made a major impact on me yet but I know as I get older it's going to be worse and I can't be in that situation. I was recently tested and found out that I'm pre-diabetic. That was my wake up call. I'm not about to have diabetes. I cut carbs the second I found out. I visited a dietitian and got a game plan. I cut out any and all fast food. I lost 7 pounds in the first week. That got my motivation going. I know it's hard to exercise when you're morbidly obese but I started. I hopped on my elliptical for 10 minutes. Then gradually added time and speed as my body started getting used to it. Baby steps. I started parking farther away at stores to walk a little extra. Walking around the mall, etc. I went on a 1500 calorie diet per my dietitian. It sounds low but really you can eat a lot for 1500 calories. Some days I don't even make it to the 1500. I bought a Fitbit and started tracking step, calories, heart rate, sleep, etc. This was also a motivator for me. There are goals that you can set to be met each day. Once you have it in your mind that you don't want food, you need food to survive...it's a whole different ballgame. These are a few things I have done and it's helped greatly. I have more energy and I feel awesome. I hope for you and you're wife you're able to make a change and stick with it. I have a long road to go too and I know it will be hard but it will be worth it. There are a lot of changes that need to be made, don't make them all at once that's when you give up. Just change a little here and there and it will get easier. :)
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was a year older than you at only 30 pounds less then you when i started my weight loss journey (39 at 335 pounds) but cutting down on calories I took in and increasing the calories I burnt i was able to get down to 168 pounds. You can do, don't get flustered over trip ups we all make and take it slow and steady. You can do it.