Weights

Options
I have been going the gym for approx 6-7 weeks, 4 times a week. Shoulders,legs,chest and back but I have lost no weight, I have lost inches but no weight loss what can I do to change this?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet. That's where weight loss comes from.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You've lost inches that is a good sign!!! Usually, measuring tape is my first go to rather than a weighing scale :)
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agree with both of the above. How much weight are you trying to lose? The scales should be used as only part of the way we measure progress. What are some of your other goals that arent weight related? Examples- drop 2 pant sizes, lift progressively heavier, muscle growth/definition, etc. If you're already losing inches, focus on that and I bet you'll hit your goals! Good luck!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have been working out very consistently for 45 days and have only Lost 5 lbs however, I've lost 4" in my waist and 2" in my hips. I am lifting heavy and only doing cardio 1-3x a week for about 30 minutes. One thing I have found is that the more you build your muscle the more fat you burn and the more you can eat. I am up to about 2000calories a day and still loosing about a pound every two weeks but I'm getting toner and my fat is disappearing. Would I really like to weight 150lbs at 5'9"? Yes but I am happy to see the muscles toning and the amount of strength I have gained is amazing and some day maybe I'll figure out how to go through a cutting cycle and lower my body fat percentage. The scale is not an accurate representation of healthy. It measure progress but it can be depressing. One thing that doesn't lie is a tape measure and progress pictures.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat in a deficit you won't lose weight.

I started my fitness journey by doing SL5x5 from Jan to June 1st with no regard to my diet. I got significantly stronger but didn't lose any weight (probably gained weight actually). On June 1st I started tracking my intake with MFP and have lost 48lb since then (I still lift, and I'm even stronger now).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Eat less
  • johnpaul1977
    johnpaul1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments apart from eat less, my diet consists of banana at 8 quaker sachet porridge at 9:30 tuna and rice for lunch and then meat and veg, stir fry that type of thing. No carbs after 6pm pretty much 1000 calories a day.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments apart from eat less, my diet consists of banana at 8 quaker sachet porridge at 9:30 tuna and rice for lunch and then meat and veg, stir fry that type of thing. No carbs after 6pm pretty much 1000 calories a day.

you are not eating 1000 calories/day and maintaining unless you are a small person (under 5 foot, most likely under 4 foot).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    if you are guessing how many calories you are eating, you are probably guessing wrong. weigh and measure and accurately log every speck of food and see what it really is.
  • mangelopulos
    mangelopulos Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calories "in" has to be less than calories "out" in order to lose weight. If you eat the same amount or more you will never lose weight. I lost 35 pounds 3 years ago. Exercise and eating healthy. Also remember your body naturally wants to maintain its weight. So you may feel even more hungry after hitting the gym. Be aware of this, look for lower calorie healthy alternatives such as nuts or popcorn. And give yourself a pat on the back. You are doing an incredible thing for yourself.
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

You will not lose weight at 1000 calories a day.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have been going the gym for approx 6-7 weeks, 4 times a week. Shoulders,legs,chest and back but I have lost no weight, I have lost inches but no weight loss what can I do to change this?
    Inches off FOR THE WIN!! That is progress, true progress that is visible and means fat loss! Who cares what the scale says? The scale weighs water, fat, muscle, food, clothing (unless you step on nekkid), waste - but inches off is FAT OFF.

Don't put so much stock in scale numbers, which WILL fluctuate daily for many many reasons and mess with your head if you let it. Grab a tape measure and start tracking measurements.

• indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day? Your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose any weight because it is in a survival state.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

1000 calories a day? Your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose any weight because it is in a survival state.

You mean like all the fat anorexics? Or fat starving children in Africa? "Starvation mode" isn't what you think it is and it doesn't do what you think it does.

He'll lose all kinds of weight eating 1000 calories per day...a lot of it will be muscle/lean body mass. He also stands a good chance of losing his hair, his health, his strength and lots of other things, from being a grown man eating like a 6-year old kid.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

You mean like all the fat anorexics? Or fat starving children in Africa? "Starvation mode" isn't what you think it is and it doesn't do what you think it does.

He'll lose all kinds of weight eating 1000 calories per day...a lot of it will be muscle/lean body mass. He also stands a good chance of losing his hair, his health, his strength and lots of other things, from being a grown man eating like a 6-year old kid.

This