Running my first 1/2 marathon soon!

Options
hi guys! I used to hate running but recently have grown to enjoy it more and I am running the Phoenix marathon (half) in less than 2 weeks. I am a little nervous because it is my first race ever and I am not sure what to expect. I have been training over the past few months and feel good about it, but was just wondering if anyone had any little pieces of advice (blister prevention, what to wear, energy gels/pre workout, anything). Any help would be awesome, thanks! :)

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This is a great one.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10330391/running-tip-so-youre-about-to-do-your-first-race

But I just want to throw out - you mention energy gels/pre workout - if you haven't been doing it in training it is too late now to try it. Just don't.
    Eat what you normally eat before and during a long run. Don't start mixing it up now.

My biggest advice is have fun and don't start out too fast. It's easy to get caught up in the crowd. Run YOUR race.
  • tusiajay
    tusiajay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Don't try anything new on race day. Better to start out too slow than too fast and blow up.
  • dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Practice with fuel during your training runs. Make sure your clothes are comfortable ones you have worn before, so no rubbing wrong. Drink plenty of fluids the week of your race, especially the 2 days before. Hydration is very important, don't just rely on the water stations, I like my water running belt. Also visualize the course in your head so you are mentally prepared for the course. And it will be exciting si be aware of your pace, it is easy to go out way too fast. Most of all have fun and enjoy every minute of it :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2 weeks out don't do anything you haven't already done! Good luck!
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything new. Make sure you know where you can park and how to get to the start line from there. Be early enough that you can use the port o potty before the race, there will be long lines. Pick up your bib the day before if possible. And don't over do it the first couple of miles. Good luck!
  • scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In the first couple of miles, if you feel like you are running too slow...slow down. Seriously.

Your perceived exertion may feel slower than your training runs, but with the crowd, your own adrenaline, and other runners around you, it is almost guaranteed to be a faster pace than it feels like. Many a first-timer has blown up at the end of the race because they went out too fast. Much better to start slow and gradually pick up the pace than to run out of gas at the end.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    scottsull7 wrote: »
    In the first couple of miles, if you feel like you are running too slow...slow down. Seriously.

Your perceived exertion may feel slower than your training runs, but with the crowd, your own adrenaline, and other runners around you, it is almost guaranteed to be a faster pace than it feels like. Many a first-timer has blown up at the end of the race because they went out too fast. Much better to start slow and gradually pick up the pace than to run out of gas at the end.

+1