Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Macros & Calories

Does anyone on here track their macros as well as there calories?!

My maintenance calories are 1800 so on a 500 calorie deficit im only allowed to eat 1300 calories. On days that i train im allowed to eat a little more.....but im struggling to match my calories with my macros.

Protein 170g Carbs 103g Fats 21g-36g

Does anyone else struggle with this?! Im either over on my macros or under with my calories!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Why so much protein and so little fat?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    More fat and oils would be good.
  • krystlelee12
    krystlelee12 Posts: 19 Member
    I lift weights 6 times a week. Cardio only 4. I have quite lean body mass and am only struggling with stomach fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Your protein sounds excessive

0.65-0.8g per lb bodyweight as a minimum

Fat at 0.35g per lb bodyweight

The rest by preference

When is your rest day?
  • krystlelee12
    Rest days are Mondays and sometimes Wednesdays depending on how i feel
  • TavistockToad
    If you're only needing to get rid of a little stomach fat then you don't need a 500 cal deficit. 250 would be plenty
  • krystlelee12
    If you're only needing to get rid of a little stomach fat then you don't need a 500 cal deficit. 250 would be plenty

Its not a little haha. Well to me it isn't. I have 26% body fat and i want to lose at least 2lbs fat a week
  • TavistockToad

Its not a little haha. Well to me it isn't. I have 26% body fat and i want to lose at least 2lbs fat a week

You're on a 500 calorie deficit so that's not going to happen, is it?

• krystlelee12

With exercise it should yes 500 deficit 500 burned through cardio
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Twice the protein that you need, and less than half the fat. Try again.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Your deficit is very high for someone without much to lose.
    Your protein is way too excessive.
    Your fat is very low.

Worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • krystlelee12
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your fat is very low.

Worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I want to loose around 20lbs. Im only 5ft 6 and I weigh 182lbs. 26%body fat and 134lbs is lean body mass. To maintain i have to eat around 1800-1900 calories. Iv tried so many calculations to try work this out and have different answers each time. Its becoming highly frustrating as i don't know which are the correct answers lol. I will have a look at that link - thanks
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your fat is very low.

Worth a read....

I want to loose around 20lbs. Im only 5ft 6 and I weigh 182lbs. 26%body fat and 134lbs is lean body mass. To maintain i have to eat around 1800-1900 calories. Iv tried so many calculations to try work this out and have different answers each time. Its becoming highly frustrating as i don't know which are the correct answers lol. I will have a look at that link - thanks

The correct answer is the one your body gives you over time (6-8 weeks)

Everything else is a starting estimate

Where is your BF reading from?

2lb a week is slightly excessive and 1800 -1900 based on your stated workout regime and weight seems low for a TDEE

Also you're talking about cutting 500 from TDEE which would put you at 1400, but that includes your exercise.... to burn off 500 calories you're talking an hour plus fairly intense cardio daily
  • TavistockToad

With exercise it should yes 500 deficit 500 burned through cardio

so you're going to net 800 calories? that doesn't sound like a very sensible plan to be honest.
  • krystlelee12
    My body fat reading is from an online calculator - i used a few and they all told me around the same answer.

From what everyone is saying it seems i am doing this totally wrong. So...i need to reduce my deficit to 250calories and recalculate my macros from there? When iv tried to calculate my maintenance calories iv had a loads of different answers so i just worked out the average which was 1800. 1lb per week of fat loss instead of 2?

In terms of exercise i like to do HIIT for 20-30minutes where i usually burn around 350-400 i do insanity once a week for 45mins where i burn around 600-700 cals (depending on how hard i try)

Looks like i need to recalculate! =S
  • TavistockToad
    My body fat reading is from an online calculator - i used a few and they all told me around the same answer.

From what everyone is saying it seems i am doing this totally wrong. So...i need to reduce my deficit to 250calories and recalculate my macros from there? When iv tried to calculate my maintenance calories iv had a loads of different answers so i just worked out the average which was 1800. 1lb per week of fat loss instead of 2?

In terms of exercise i like to do HIIT for 20-30minutes where i usually burn around 350-400 i do insanity once a week for 45mins where i burn around 600-700 cals (depending on how hard i try)

i doubt you maintain on 1800 gross - i'm 5ft5 and 138lbs and maintain on around net 1900 cals.

put your stats into MFP, if you have 20lbs to lose, then you can start on losing 1lb per week and then cut back to 0.5lbs. eat back a portion of your exercise cals. wait 4-6 weeks, tweak your cals up or down depending on the weight loss.
  • krystlelee12

i doubt you maintain on 1800 gross - i'm 5ft5 and 138lbs and maintain on around net 1900 cals.

put your stats into MFP, if you have 20lbs to lose, then you can start on losing 1lb per week and then cut back to 0.5lbs. eat back a portion of your exercise cals. wait 4-6 weeks, tweak your cals up or down depending on the weight loss.

Iv put my stats in and placed it on very active, weight loss at 1lb per week and It has calculated 1780calories
  • TavistockToad

Iv put my stats in and placed it on very active, weight loss at 1lb per week and It has calculated 1780calories

if you want to do it that way you're better off going to scooby.com and working out your tdee then taking off 10-20%
  • krystlelee12

if you want to do it that way you're better off going to scooby.com and working out your tdee then taking off 10-20%

Website under construction :-( i will keep trying over next couple of days.

Re calculations came to: Protein 134g, Fat 43g, Carbs 156g

Sounds more realistic to me
  • Sued0nim
    Do you want to follow a cut from TDEE or use the MFP way

Both work out the same really

But I don't think you're using the MFP calculator right ...activity level excludes purposeful exercise

Your exercise burns seem overly inflated...eat back half for 6-8 weeks then reassess based on weight loss

For TDEE this is a decent calculator http://www.weightloss-calculator.net Created by an mfper