No willpower, and struggling to even want to get back on it!

Options
So, today is my 50th day from logging in since re-starting with MFP and I have just checked back through my diary and about 18 of those days have been failures. Most of the failings happening in the last 2 weeks and most of them being 300 - 3000 calories OVER!!!

I was 3.3/4lbs away from my goal weight and I'm now at least 5.3/4lbs away from it.

I am really struggling to resist any type of chocolate, cake, dessert, etc ...

I am set at 1200 calories, I have 300 added for breastfeeding, I then complete JM30DS (MOST) days, C25K 3x per week, get out walking with the double buggy (toddler and baby) for at least 1 hour a day and try to fit in some swimming on the weekend with the boys.

However, I am never full, I am always searching for the next thing to eat, wondering what to have for dessert whilst I'm eating dinner, wondering what to have for dinner the next day whilst laying in bed etc !!! When I do stick to under my calorie limit, I am the moodiest b*tch alive, and I'm falling asleep by 8pm but when I go over my limit, I am also the moodiest b*tch alive and once I go over, I think f**k it, and end up eating at least 1000 calories over my limit.

I'm really close to giving in and starting again next month, but JM30DS ends in 7 days and I can already see that I've undone some of the hardwork I put in for the first couple of weeks.

I'm craving things like cookies and ice cream which normally I wouldn't even think about !! I'm just constantly starving - my partner says that it is all in my head, but seriously, I never want to stop eating !!!!! HELP.

Replies

• bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi, The fact that you are breastfeeding already can make you more hungry! That combined with exercise and just looking after children in general can make you more hungry!
    I think that possibly your cal is set too low, so your body is looking for more nourishment, hence looking for more food.

I have 2 children and breast fed both for 12mths each, i remember i was always hungry! I resisted eating "bad" foods and let my self loose on healthy foods ( to a certain extent)
    If i was hungry i didnt deny myself food as long as it was healthy... i.e veg,fruit,yohgurt,cottage cheese
    I found as long as it was healthy i kept loosing because i was burning so many cal's breastfeeding,exercising, and just general busy mum stuff!!
    So maybe reconsider how many cal you actually need in order to satisfy your hunger as a breastfeeding mum!?
    hope i've helped.... good luck!
  • kelsiehoagland
    kelsiehoagland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and fiber. For cookies and dessert-y cravings, try some recipes from here chocolatecoveredkatie.com try the cookie dough dip, I like it a lot with an apple. I know it sounds like an odd combo, but give it a chance, it's amazing! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/ You can do it, don't give up. And if you don't feel okay when only consuming 1200 calories plus that extra 300, add another 300. Don't do anything that doesn't feel right. If you're feeling weak, then your body is trying to tell you something.
  • whipdancer
    whipdancer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So, are you at 1500 calories total? Including your workouts - or are you adding calories for your workouts? Because if you're not giving yourself the calories you burn when you workout, you will end up sabotaging your efforts.

Being hungry is your body's way of saying you need to eat. Having cravings is something else. Make sure you're getting enough calories and enough water.
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what JM30DS or C25K are, but the rest I can address. If you're breastfeeding your hormones are all kaflooey. That would make anyone *****y. I am in a similar place with menopause. Raging one moment, crying the next. It will pass. Recognize it for what it is an move on the best you can. As for always starving... I feel you there too. I'm not sure that that isn't partly related to hormones too. Cravings can certainly be hormone related. That's different than hunger. Are you sure you're getting enough to eat? Sounds like you may need more. How about water? Make sure you're staying fully hydrated. That may be why your body thinks it's hungry. You are doing so well exercise-wise: swimming, walking with the babies. Keep posting, people are here for you.
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, The fact that you are breastfeeding already can make you more hungry! That combined with exercise and just looking after children in general can make you more hungry!
    I think that possibly your cal is set too low, so your body is looking for more nourishment, hence looking for more food.

As a breastfeeding educator we always teach your body requires 500 calories extra for breastfeeding. You seem to be doing a LOT of exercise in addition. I think you need to eat more, but it needs to be healthy foods as recommended by the others. Munch on carrots all day or grapes. Throw in some yogurt. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water for breastfeeding as well as all that exercise. Finally make sure you're resting. With an infant and a toddler your body is going to get run down, especially with the sleep deprivation at night. I would suggest you try to take a nap during the day as well when the kids are resting.

I did this quote thing wrong...not sure how to do this yet I guess :-)
  • leighkent
    leighkent Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - do you have any idea on how much I should increase my calorie limit by?

I am logging my exercise and eating my exercise calories and STILL going over by 0000's !!!!

Thank you Kelsie - I will deffo have a look at the links when I get a chance.

Jacki - my "baby" is now 10 months and on MFP there is an option for 6-12month feeding which only allocates 300 extra calories a day - should I stick with 500 a day? That may be the extra 200 I need?

I feel that I eat an apple, then a pear, then a yoghurt, but I could eat 10 apples and until I give in to that chocolate bar, I'm not satisfied!

xx
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great Info at : http://www.livestrong.com/article/296641-how-many-extra-calories-are-needed-for-breastfeeding/

Here are some highlights
    1. The daily calorie intake of a breastfeeding mother should be at least 1,800 calories in total, according to the USDA MyPyramid website
    2. For a lactating mother the extra 500 calories per breastfeeding baby should come from whole grains, lean protein, and a variety of fruits and vegetables. The USDA MyPyramid website has a free meal planner for women who breastfeed
    3. f you're trying to lose weight while breastfeeding and you find you are losing weight too rapidly or feeling tired, you may need to increase your calorie consumption
    4. If you feel hungry beyond meals, try small, healthy snacks such as carrot sticks and hummus or low-fat cheese and apples.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • leighkent
    leighkent Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jacki - I am going to keep my calories at 1200 for now but add on 500 calories for BF instead of the 300. I'll try this for a while, if I'm still starving then I'll up my original calorie intake too. I've decided to take the rest of the week pretty easy - even though I can see negative side effects already, I'm looking bigger than I did at 20 weeks pregnant - but then I'm starting again on Monday! xx
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy it you can't eat it. Try to keep healthier options at home so when you do get hungry you aren't grabbing a candy bar or other junk food.

That said, since you are breastfeeding, listen to your body. You may have taken off weight a bit too quickly and the bit of a rebound is just your body readjusting. Relax and breath... and don't give up.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I say....see the 7 days out otherwise you may feel even more down that you gave up. See what you feel like then, it's ok to have bad days, I'm having one today (see below topic!) but take each day as it comes and stop thinking about tomorrow!