Consistently gaining when I'm trying to lose

Options
Hey every. First time posting. Little nervous about it, but I would like to see if you lovely people can help me.

I've been recording my weight loss since March 2015, but only recently started to calorie count using this app.

My goal weight is 125. I am 5'4" and I'm a 25 year old female.

In March I weighed in at 167 lbs. By July I dropped down to 138 lbs. However since then I have steadily begun gaining weight. As of today I weight 153 lbs. And I honestly can't figure out why.

I am eating less and I'm making sure I eat anywhere between 1200 to 1600 calories per day. I don't lead a very active life style, but I make sure to get 1 to 3 hours of cardio exercise in each day.

I've read that the reason why most people gain weight when they calorie count is because they underestimate what they eat, but I have be relentless in making sure my diary is 100% accurate. I even try and under estimate my workouts.

I'm at a loss right now and what little self esteem I have is almost non existent right now. I want to be happy in the body I'm in, and I'm finding it difficult to do when I'm not seeing any results.

Replies

• ShrinkingScientist
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? How do you measure your food (i.e. scale, measuring cups, eyeballing it)?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hey every. First time posting. Little nervous about it, but I would like to see if you lovely people can help me.

I've been recording my weight loss since March 2015, but only recently started to calorie count using this app.

My goal weight is 125. I am 5'4" and I'm a 25 year old female.

In March I weighed in at 167 lbs. By July I dropped down to 138 lbs. However since then I have steadily begun gaining weight. As of today I weight 153 lbs. And I honestly can't figure out why.

I am eating less and I'm making sure I eat anywhere between 1200 to 1600 calories per day. I don't lead a very active life style, but I make sure to get 1 to 3 hours of cardio exercise in each day.

I've read that the reason why most people gain weight when they calorie count is because they underestimate what they eat, but I have be relentless in making sure my diary is 100% accurate. I even try and under estimate my workouts.

I'm at a loss right now and what little self esteem I have is almost non existent right now. I want to be happy in the body I'm in, and I'm finding it difficult to do when I'm not seeing any results.

This blog article is brutally honest, but sometimes that what we need:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. Gaining 15 lbs in 7 months means that you are eating an average of 250 over maintenance each day. Or else you have something growing inside of you, like a tumor or cyst or a baby.

• americanzombiedesigns
    americanzombiedesigns Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? How do you measure your food (i.e. scale, measuring cups, eyeballing it)?

I'm using measuring cups and a scale. I am also eating some, but not all my calories back.
  • jemhh
    Options

I'm using measuring cups and a scale. I am also eating my exercise calorie back. That's the correct thing to do right?

How many calories are you eating? Not netting.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You're eating more than you think. Gaining 15 lbs in 7 months means that you are eating an average of 250 over maintenance each day. Or else you have something growing inside of you, like a tumor or cyst or a baby.

I'm honestly not. I've been to the point of being overly obsessive of making sure I'm not eating too much. I even go to bed hungry because my calorie allowance says I shouldnt eat any more.

Cancer runs in my family, so it's possible. But I doubt I have a 15 lb tumor without showing any symptoms.

And a baby is impossible.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I'm using measuring cups and a scale. I am also eating some, but not all my calories back.

People here swear by using the scale and not measuring cups. Maybe try that.

• ShrinkingScientist
    Options
    Honestly, if you're positive you're not eating more calories than you're recording, I think it could be worth checking in with your doctor. Get your thyroid checked (TSH and free T4). Are you on any medication that causes weight gain (i.e. gabapentin)?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie burn through exercise and what are you doing?
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options

I'm using measuring cups and a scale. I am also eating my exercise calorie back. That's the correct thing to do right?

I try to eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day. And if I'm correct that is the minimum amount of calories a female body needs to function correctly.
  • drocksi317
    drocksi317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intermittent fasting?
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »

People here swear by using the scale and not measuring cups. Maybe try that.

I can try using only a scale. I will see how that works. Thank you.
  • jemhh
    Options
    drocksi317 wrote: »

Intermittent fasting does not override weight gain due to medical complications or eating too much.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    He is on a crusade to get people on IF.
  • jemhh
    edited February 2016
    Options

I try to eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day. And if I'm correct that is the minimum amount of calories a female body needs to function correctly.

You said you do 1-3 hours of cardio per day and eat back exercise calories. How can you have a base goal of 1200 and eat back exercise calories and still only eat 1200-1300 calories? That doesn't add up.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I'm honestly not. I've been to the point of being overly obsessive of making sure I'm not eating too much. I even go to bed hungry because my calorie allowance says I shouldnt eat any more.

Cancer runs in my family, so it's possible. But I doubt I have a 15 lb tumor without showing any symptoms.

And a baby is impossible.

When you say you're using measuring cups, do you only use them for liquids? If not, then it's very possible to be eating more calories than you think. Try to think what changed between March to July and July until now. Less physical activity? A slight calorie increase? Nothing at all? If the answer truly is nothing, then you need to see a doctor because the body doesn't just put weight on steadily without a severe medical issue or a surplus of calories.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    Honestly, if you're positive you're not eating more calories than you're recording, I think it could be worth checking in with your doctor. Get your thyroid checked (TSH and free T4). Are you on any medication that causes weight gain (i.e. gabapentin)?

Thyroid problems do run in my family as well. Once I find a doctor (recently moved), I will bring that up. Thank you.

And I'm currently on an antibiotic (via my dentist), but that's it for medicine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    What is your calorie burn through exercise and what are you doing?

I do intense dance in an 80 degree room. This app says that is about 300 calories per hour, but I usually take that estimat and divide in half.
  • americanzombiedesigns
    Options
    drocksi317 wrote: »

I do not want to partake in any type of fasting. Just a personal preference.