Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    J I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

"I Can't Believe its not butter" is a mix of oil and water. That's why is has less calories. You can accomplish the same by using less oil. In both cases you will need the same amount of fat (oil) to cook the veggies in the same way. Thus you gain nothing by using ICBINB accept for a different taste.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For roasting I just use olive oil spray.

Otherwise, when I use olive oil, it's 1 tsp per serving of food, usually.
    I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

A single 1 tablespoon serving contains 2 grams of artery-damaging saturated fat. That’s the about the same as eating two-thirds of a McDonald’s hamburger.

Real food is almost always better than the fake manufactured substitute, in taste AND nutrition.

I wish there was a like button. B)
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    BTW, I use 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil to make my ~320 Calorie popcorn. So good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    1 TBS of oil is a LOT of oil for one serve of veg. I use a tsp and that's plenty.

I used to need 1 tablespoon of oil to sautee onions, cabbage, red pepper, and then scramble eggs. Now I use a T-fal pro nonstick pan and 1/2 teaspoon of oil.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

A single 1 tablespoon serving contains 2 grams of artery-damaging saturated fat. That’s the about the same as eating two-thirds of a McDonald’s hamburger.

Not that I am encouraging anyone eat the abomination known as margarine, but rather wanting to point out that saturated fat is not the enemy. It is not the cause of artery damage.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/

I am a fan of lard and butter as well as olive oil. I see no need to limit any of them (assuming they are part of a balanced diet).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Olive oil is nasty. I hate the way it tastes.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    EVOO made with olives from Spain is the best. I also dip bread into olive oil with black pepper.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    the ultra low fat fad is one of the reasons people gained weight in the 90's you have to make up for the fat some way it was sugar that replaced it. fat adds flavor,helps foods digest slower so blood sugar stays more even. a little is good, too much or too little is also bad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

From logging I swiftly observed that oil is oil. Olive oil is not lower calorie than peanut oil, etc. You might choose olive oil because of flavor or because you believe there are health benefits. Not a calorie saver though. I would just accept it, use less or do a different cooking method. 1 T is a lot to add to one serving of vegetables... maybe get a cooking spray and use lightly instead.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Real food is almost always better than the fake manufactured substitute, in taste AND nutrition.

Pretty much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I don't cook with it. If I have room at the end of the night, I prefer to put it on my popcorn. But as a volume eater I cut it out a lot. I do watch my macros though and make sure I'm getting the fat elsewhere.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'd say part of the olive oil craze has to do with the idea of eating healthily to lose weight. Meanwhile you're adding tons of calories from healthy food items, not realizing that in some cases the calories add up to an amount that still keeps you at an undesirable weight.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'd say part of the olive oil craze has to do with the idea of eating healthily to lose weight. Meanwhile you're adding tons of calories from healthy food items, not realizing that in some cases the calories add up to an amount that still keeps you at an undesirable weight.

Sure, if you're putting a cup of oil on your food per day. Using it to saute, as a dressing, drizzled on your vegetables isn't going to harm you. I use it daily and haven't become obese because of it.

It's like anything you eat: moderation is key. Heck you can get fat eating vegetables.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    gemdiver00 wrote: »
    EVOO made with olives from Spain is the best. I also dip bread into olive oil with black pepper.

Actually you need to be careful with olive oil from places like Italy and Spain. They're controlled by a mafia and the "extra virgin olive oil" that you get may, in fact, be mixed with a sub-par oil or have just a little bit of extra virgin in it. Locally produced olive oil from small farms is more than likely the real-deal. If you're buying oil produced in California it has to have a California Olive Oil Certification which ensures it is 100% pure. I had no idea the brand that I was buying wasn't pure. Now I'm going to switch to California.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Haven't most folks cooked in oil for generations?
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil because I keep it set, so you can scrape a little off the top and it goes really far so because it's a solid not a liquid you normally use less!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    gemdiver00 wrote: »

Actually you need to be careful with olive oil from places like Italy and Spain. They're controlled by a mafia and the "extra virgin olive oil" that you get may, in fact, be mixed with a sub-par oil or have just a little bit of extra virgin in it. Locally produced olive oil from small farms is more than likely the real-deal. If you're buying oil produced in California it has to have a California Olive Oil Certification which ensures it is 100% pure. I had no idea the brand that I was buying wasn't pure. Now I'm going to switch to California.

If you want to see something interesting, read the report sent out by the University of California-Davis Olive Center. To sum up its findings, 73% of all olive oil sold in the US as EVOO was low quality and not extra virgin. This was across the board, both US produced and imported. The problem with "100% pure" is that it doesn't guarantee it is the quality of EVOO. According to the study:

"Our testing indicated that the samples failed extra virgin olive oil standards according to one or more of the following:
    (a) oxidation by exposure to elevated temperatures, light, and/or aging;
    (b) adulteration with cheaper refined olive oil;
    (c) poor quality oil made from damaged and overripe olives, processing flaws, and/or improper oil storage."

All of these, except the ones adulterated, would be considered "pure"
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    All oils are pure fat, which contain the same amount of calories (9 per gram). Olive oil has less saturated and trans fat (I think that's right), which is why it's considered "healthy".

If you want to cut your calories, try sauteing with spray instead.
  • miryamch420
    miryamch420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Where I come from, people believe olive oil is almost a medicine (think Mediterranean diet).
    I was also shocked when I started using MFP how many calories are in a table spoon.
    I will never believe people who claim that olive oil is unhealthy, but I did reduce my dose.
    Usually, I will "fry" my vegetables with a bit of water, and if MFP tells me that my meal lacks calories I will allow myself a tea spoon. Anyway I realized that a table spoon for one meal is just not necessary.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think of a circumstance where I would use 1tbsp of olive oil per serving, and coming up with nothing. I use 2tbsps when I batch cook sometimes, but that makes nearly 2.5kg of food so per serving it's negligible.