How to deal with knee pain while doing 30 Day Shred?

I'm out of shape. I've pretty much always been out of shape. I've over 200 lbs, and I'm only 5 foot 3 inches tall. I'm not used to a lot of physical activity. Generally speaking, I don't have knee pain. And if I do light exercise, like walking, my knee doesn't hurt. But when I do 30 Day Shred, my left knee gets very sore for a few days. When my knee hurts, I take a break. I try to do something gentler, like a walking DVD or pilates. But I like that 30 day shred is only 20 minutes long, and burns so many calories! I'm not sure if I should give up on 30 Day Shred? I can't get it done in 30 days, since I keep stopping to give my knee a break. And will my knee get stronger? Maybe it hurts so bad because it's weak, and there's so much extra weight on it? I think my form is okay when I'm squatting and lunging. I don't go down too far, and I make sure my knees don't go over my toes.

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    I had issues with knees and ankles when doing the 30 day shred. I am lucky i didnt do myself damage. I did it 30 days straight which again looking back was silly. My issue turns out i was just weak, obese and out of shape. I didnt do any other exercise with it, as literally my whole body used to hurt each day. I remember the stretching wasn't that great after, so maybe spend more time stretching as well. If you think the time isnt right you can revisit it when you feel stronger or take longer breaks to heal abit in between each session..
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I too had knee issues with 30 day shred. I do not have knee issues with other high impact things like running. I narrowed it down to jumping jacks. My knees just don't like them. Try doing something else instead of all the jumping jacks and see if that helps. Also, there have been interviews with Jillian Michaels where she stated it wasn't intended to be something you do 30 days straight. And then I've seen other things that said it was. I say, shoot for 3 to 4 times a week instead.
  • MotherChristie
    MotherChristie Posts: 29 Member
    I had problems when I attempted 30 day shred also. I have problems with one of my knees anyway due to an old injury.

Maybe try every other day instead? Make sure you're drinking enough water etc.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    If you're hurting doing the 30 Day Shred (which I'm not exactly familiar with but I'm assuming there's a lot of jumping involved) and NOT when you do any other exercise I personally would stop doing it. I screwed up my foot from all the jumping around when I did Insanity. That was over 4 years ago and I still can't run and I am in a lot of pain when I wear certain shoes.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Thank you, guys. It sounds like knee pain is pretty common with 30 Day Shred. I will continue to do it when I feel up to it, and not push myself. :smiley: It just seems so awesome, for seeing quick results. With 3 kids, I don't always have time to do a 40-60 minute exercise, so the 20 minutes really appeals to me.