Does exercise not work for some of us?

Options
Once I went to see a nutritionist and he told me to stop doing aerobic exercise because it was not helping me lose weight. That was a long time ago, but some of it rings true .... I've been working out like mad, eating about 1,560 calories a day, and struggling to see weight loss.

I do indulge in some homemade cocktails on the weekends, but it's hard for me to believe they are completely derailing my weight loss when I follow the program perfectly 5-6 days a week.

I run, I spin, I have a personal trainer who gives me tons of punishing weight-bearing exercises, but I still hover at 180, which puts me less than a tenth of a point under the "obesity" label on standard BMI charts.

I am 43. I have asthma and a family history of heart disease, so I do the exercise for a healthy heart and lungs more than weight loss, but still .... it's discouraging.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? Are you weighing your food?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you logging the cocktails? If so, how far are you going over your calorie goal? It is certainly possible for drinks on the weekend to wipe out a deficit created during the week.

Exercise doesn't cause anyone to lose weight. It can work to help create or increase a deficit, but what you consume is always going to be key. Exercise doesn't burn *that* many calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Aerobic will always work at what it's supposed to do, which is to build your cardiovascular endurance. It also burns calories. To lose weight you need a caloric deficit, which means that you eat fewer cals than you burn. This happens primarily in the kitchen. Read the sticky posts at the top of each forum for lots of good info and guidance on how to accomplish a caloric deficit.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I meticulously log calories, use measuring spoons and cups. I am also a near-vegan - very little dairy and mostly vegetarian protein. I may be going upwards of 500 calories over my goal with the cocktails, but I really did believe the exercise would allow me those with the extra calories allocated. I have read a few discussions on here and it sounds like many think MFP overestimates exercise calories.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    90% of weight loss is in the kitchen. We are very similar in size, and I have my cals set to 1590/day to lose 1lb/week. While I like to think that my portion control is improving, I do know that if I didn't weigh my food 2 days a week, I would wipe out at least some of my weekly deficit. It could be that you're losing at a much lower rate simply because of those 2 days a week of "non-perfection." Have you tried tracking your weight on something like Trendweight to see the overall trend?

That being said, if you're exercising like mad and not seeing a loss, there are a couple of things that could be happening:
    1. You're retaining some water as your muscles repair (apparently this is at the outset of a new program, so wouldn't necessarily apply if you've been working out like this for a while)
    2. You're eating/drinking more than you think. If you don't have a food scale, get one. If you do have one, tighten up your logging - avoid generic entries, make sure you log every bite, weigh foods that come from a package (e.g. slices of bread, slices of deli meat, etc.)
    3. Don't know how long you've been at this, but make sure you've given it enough time. Weight loss is not linear, as everyone here is keen to tell you.
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh currently? How much did you weigh two and four weeks ago?
    How tall are you?
    How long have you been "working out like mad, eating about 1,560 calories a day?"
    How accurate is your estimate of your daily calorie intake?

Bottom line is exercise isn't necessary for weight loss but it has other benefits and some people really like it.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Nobody has to exercise for weight loss but, as others have said, it creates a greater deficit. That being said, exercise certainly does not prevent people from losing weight. Depending on your deficit, one or two days off plan can absolutely cancel out your deficit. I have a few questions.
    • What constitutes working out "like mad"?
    • Eating "about" 1560 calories on a weekly average or daily?
    • Do you weigh your food?
    • Do you eat your exercise calories back?
    • Do you log your cocktails?
    • What happens on your one or two days "off plan" per week?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    kpuzzuoli wrote: »
    I meticulously log calories, use measuring spoons and cups. I am also a near-vegan - very little dairy and mostly vegetarian protein. I may be going upwards of 500 calories over my goal with the cocktails, but I really did believe the exercise would allow me those with the extra calories allocated. I have read a few discussions on here and it sounds like many think MFP overestimates exercise calories.

invest in a food scale.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's not that exercise doesn't "work" - it's that it really should be disassociated from weight loss.

Don't get me wrong - there are 1,000 reasons to exercise, including heart and lung health (like you mentioned), bone density maintenance, improving muscle tone and structure so that you look better, the wonderful endorphins one feels afterward, etc... However, even an awesome, butt-busting workout will only burn off a few hundred calories. When comparing the rate of burn to the fact that it's super, super easy to wipe out a workout deficit by eating just a little too much of the wrong thing, it just doesn't make it seem worth it.

(ETA: It's also very easy to overestimate the number of calories you burn in any given exercise. This might be something you want to look at if you eat back your exercise calories.)

There are a couple of very common sayings here on MFP. One is "You can't outrun a bad diet." Another one is, "Weight loss starts in the kitchen; health starts in the gym." If you're not seeing results and exercise is wearing you out, try tightening up your diet. Make sure you're weighing solids and measuring liquids to ensure your calorie count is accurate. Eating less calories than you burn is how you lose; in the context of weight loss, exercise just gives you a small calorie buffer in the event you want to eat a little more.

Additionally - you may want to count up those cocktails once just to make sure they're not throwing you off more than you think you are. I had a shot of Disaronno last night and it was 110 calories. Your standard Long Island Iced Tea can have 800 calories or more. Cocktails can be deceptively calorie-laden.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Cut the cocktails for a few weeks and see what happens ?
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Options

If you aren't using a scale, you may be eating much more than you think you are. A plant-based diet is pretty irrelevant for calorie intake -- all the weight I lost recently (40+ pounds) I gained as a vegan.

I would recommend getting a handle on what you're actually consuming by getting a food scale and logging your cocktails. This can help you see if you're either eating more than you think you are or wiping out your deficit on the weekends.

I'm not sure how much exercise you're doing, but it's really, really easy to eat enough to wipe out the calories burnt through exercise. I run about 35 miles a week and I still -- with eating plant-based foods -- went over my weekly calorie goal due to just two days of relaxed eating last week (these were not even days when I was eating whatever I wanted). If I was trying to lose weight, those two days would have been enough to wipe out any deficit I created on the other days of the week.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    ^^ cocktails are hidiously high in calories
    ....And I can pack an awful lot of food in a cup. ....you need a food scale to know how much you are actually eating.
  • karmelpopcorn
    Options
    You guys are all absolutely right. It has to be intake, and it could also be constant inflammation from the workouts, and water retention. One the days I manage the program perfectly, I am often up 8 times a need peeing (which is another TERRIBLE downside.) I do have a food scale. So you're saying use the MFP weight option over the other service size options?

I'd very much like to say I could cut my cocktails, but they're the last of my vices and my kids stress me out! I could maybe reduce them ... :wink:
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    You guys are all absolutely right. It has to be intake, and it could also be constant inflammation from the workouts, and water retention. One the days I manage the program perfectly, I am often up 8 times a need peeing (which is another TERRIBLE downside.) I do have a food scale. So you're saying use the MFP weight option over the other service size options?

I'd very much like to say I could cut my cocktails, but they're the last of my vices and my kids stress me out! I could maybe reduce them ... :wink:

I drank alcohol consistently (including cocktails) when losing weight. You can have them! The important thing is to understand how much you're having. I would begin logging them (if you aren't already) so you can account for the calories in them. Also, I'm not sure what type you are having, but there might be some swaps you can do to reduce the calories in them.
  • karmelpopcorn
    Options
    I will say, though, that I feel pretty confident that I am eating within the 1560 calorie range (except for cocktail days).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i think alcohol screws up some people's bodies metabolism differently than others. I can diet and exercise perfectly but if i even look at a cocktail it blows all my efforts. When i'm at maintenance, even if i include alcohol calories in my budget, i will gain weight. If i eat at a deficit and include alcohol calories in that budget, i will stay the same weight. The minute i stop drinking in a deficit the weight falls off. Over the years I've tested every different kind of alcohol possible and every calorie combination , and it doesn't matter there is no way i can drink even one cocktail on the weekend and lose weight. its not fair because i love to drink!!!
  • karmelpopcorn
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i think alcohol screws up some people's bodies metabolism differently than others. I can diet and exercise perfectly but if i even look at a cocktail it blows all my efforts. When i'm at maintenance, even if i include alcohol calories in my budget, i will gain weight. If i eat at a deficit and include alcohol calories in that budget, i will stay the same weight. The minute i stop drinking in a deficit the weight falls off. Over the years I've tested every different kind of alcohol possible and every calorie combination , and it doesn't matter there is no way i can drink even one cocktail on the weekend and lose weight. its not fair because i love to drink!!!

Oh my that is absolutely the worst news!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

Don't cut your cocktails..I drink every weekend and am still losing weight, even though I'm now trying to be at "maintenance". Make the cocktails FIT...and absolutely, use your foodscale....start measuring in grams and ounces...and weigh and log everything. My French vanilla from Tims is a whopping 300 cals....if I drank one every day and didn't log it, I'd only be fooling myself. Drinks are funny...especially alcoholic ones....and yes, they can derail your WHOLE week. xo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I will say, though, that I feel pretty confident that I am eating within the 1560 calorie range (except for cocktail days).
    I think until you use your food scale and really start logging tightly, you won't really be sure you are eating withing the 1560 range, and could be eating way OVER that range on cocktail days. Give it a try! It's only a pain in the butt for the first week, then it gets to be like second nature. Its worth it!! xo
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Once I went to see a nutritionist and he told me to stop doing aerobic exercise because it was not helping me lose weight. That was a long time ago, but some of it rings true .... I've been working out like mad, eating about 1,560 calories a day, and struggling to see weight loss.

I do indulge in some homemade cocktails on the weekends, but it's hard for me to believe they are completely derailing my weight loss when I follow the program perfectly 5-6 days a week.

I run, I spin, I have a personal trainer who gives me tons of punishing weight-bearing exercises, but I still hover at 180, which puts me less than a tenth of a point under the "obesity" label on standard BMI charts.

I am 43. I have asthma and a family history of heart disease, so I do the exercise for a healthy heart and lungs more than weight loss, but still .... it's discouraging.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist

Aerobic exercise is for cardiovascular health and will increase your TDEE but also your hunger

Issues I'm your post are "eating about" .. Weigh and log don't guess..."indulge"..weigh and log and account for it and following your orogram only part of the week...you are clearly eating to maintenance calories if not losing

You lose weight by monitoring your intake

Your exercise program sounds good...get the food in order too