Good Fruits and Bad fruits.......

Options
So as I'm entering my food log I find out that for 2 cups of green seedless grapes are about 200 cals and about 50 carbs.....that seems pretty high for fruit doesn't it? Would you think that this would be considered a bad fruit choice? What actually is a good fruit anyways......?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    that doenst sound accurate
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Grapes are not that much calories. Where did you get your information?
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    That's incorrect....and even if it was, a fruit is still a better option than a processed or pre-packaged snack any day!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Grapes don't have that many calories, but they are REALLY high in carbs because they have a lot of natural sugar. I love red grapes, but I definitely have to eat them in moderation because of their carb count. Berries are the best low calorie, low carb fruits!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and sure enough I cup seedless grapes is 110 calories, 0.26 grams fat, 28.96g carbs, 1.15 protein.

Maybe becuase of the natural sugar in grapes? I think any fruit (in the whole sense) is MUCH better than something out of a box, processed etc.

Like everything else, all in moderation! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any "bad" fruits or veggies. But some are certainly higher in cals than others.
    Just like other foods, you need to pay attention to portion sizes.
    2 cups would be about four servings, so if that calorie count is accurate, 50 cals for a fruit snack sounds good to me.
    And a damn sight better nutritional value than half a cup of candy!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Grapes are high in cals. Packages at some stores actually offer the nutritional information. On the package I just bought, 138 grams is 90 cals. 128 grams = 1 cup so therefore that calculation is probably accurate.

The bad thing about eating grapes....it's so easy to eat too many!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1920/2

I don't think any fruit is "bad" for you, but I stick to blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, apples, watermelon, and sometimes cantaloupe and mango.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Carbs from fruits and veggies are good for us.

That calorie count seems off, of course.
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was told that the calorie count is close to accurate... Man... I tell you.... Grapes are sooo addictive once you eat one... Who ever knew the counts were sooooo high... (don't have to answer that....) :P
  • nickfn
    nickfn Posts: 19
    Options
    That is accurate about the grapes (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1920/2). 2 cups is a good bit of grapes, though. When portioning grapes I remove the stems and weigh them. (I weigh EVERYTHING out of habit... you can get a cheap, accurate, great kitchen scale on amazon for about $20.)

To answer your second question- I personally dont eat too many grapes because I think they are a little too sweet for my tastes. In my opinion a "good" fruit would be one that has more fiber, vitamins, and a lower Glycemic Index. I love apples because they are lower calorie and fill me up. Bananas have lots of fiber and potassium, but they are a bit higher calorie, so I usually eat bananas after my runs. I consider prunes, strawberries, and grapefruit other "good" fruit because they are high fiber and high vitamin. But really, it just comes down to what you prefer, and moderation. If you like grapes, keep on em!
  • acchickpea
    Options
    That is accurate about the grapes (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1920/2). 2 cups is a good bit of grapes, though. When portioning grapes I remove the stems and weigh them. (I weigh EVERYTHING out of habit... you can get a cheap, accurate, great kitchen scale on amazon for about $20.)

To answer your second question- I personally dont eat too many grapes because I think they are a little too sweet for my tastes. In my opinion a "good" fruit would be one that has more fiber, vitamins, and a lower Glycemic Index. I love apples because they are lower calorie and fill me up. Bananas have lots of fiber and potassium, but they are a bit higher calorie, so I usually eat bananas after my runs. I consider prunes, strawberries, and grapefruit other "good" fruit because they are high fiber and high vitamin. But really, it just comes down to what you prefer, and moderation. If you like grapes, keep on em!

Thanks!
    I do need to find the fruits that are High in fiber.....
  • staceyschley
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bad fruit or vegetable. In this day and age when over half of the population is overweight, eating grapes as a snack is a good choice. It is high in natural sugar versus berries so maybe half your portion and pair with some almonds or pistachios.
  • vayner
    vayner Posts: 1
    Options
    How come I heard that weight watchers allows you to not count fruits at all, as if they have no calories...?
  • acchickpea
    Options
    How come I heard that weight watchers allows you to not count fruits at all, as if they have no calories...?

That's odd... Because fruits do have calories.....
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Because they want people to eat more fruits, rather than choosing less nutritious foods. If one has 80 calories left and chooses a thing of string cheese over an apple, it's not the optimal choice. No one gets fat on fruits and vegs. :)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    No one gets fat on fruits and vegs. :)
    I second that notion ;)
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Absolutely correct!! As a vegan all I eat is mainly fruits and veggies. I LOVE fruit, and could be a fruitarian..heehee. As I started to increase my fruit... I now have, what I like to call fruit fat. That's right... it's the sugars. And it goes straight for the gut. At first I thought fruit was okay, but like all things, it has to be in moderation. I decided to look into it, and here's a quick link of info.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1029501/Can-fruit-make-fat-Natural-sugar-fruit-fuelling-nations-obesity-epidemic.html

Berries and Apples seem to be the lowest. I can eat tons of watermelon but that = TONS of calories, even though you THINK it's mostly water. Grapes and bananas, which are good for you, still pack a lot of calories.

Anyways, I've learned, everything in moderation, and now what to eat instead of the fruit... : )
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Grapes, bananas, watermelon, and some others I might be missing; these are fruits with a high glycemic index, and have more natural sugar in them, i.e. more calories.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right, my medium apple (which some would say is small), is 80 calories and 16 carbs.

However I don't think there's a such thing as good vs bad fruit. Fruit is a carb (sugar).