Snacks

Options
What are some healthy, good tasting snacks you guys enjoy? Looking for some new stuff to buy next time I go to the store

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    String cheese and other already portioned cheeses, box of 100 calorie packs of nuts - almonds with walnuts are my favorite, pretzels in the snack size, fruit, veggies that are good raw like bell peppers, pickles of various flavors, crackers

I usually get portioned packs because it is convenient and keeps me in check with munching.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    String cheese and other already portioned cheeses, box of 100 calorie packs of nuts - almonds with walnuts are my favorite, pretzels in the snack size, fruit, veggies that are good raw like bell peppers, pickles of various flavors, crackers

I usually get portioned packs because it is convenient and keeps me in check with munching.

Ditto!! Also hard boiled eggs. I love cherry tomatoes and buying veggies in pre-cut form just to make my week a little easier. Laughing cow cheese with celery is one of my fav snacks :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Lower sodium pretzels
    Half banana and a 1/2 cup Cherrios
    Plain Greek yogurt with a bit of fruit mixed in, and maybe a smidgen of granola.
    Celery with peanut butter
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Sliced apple dipped in peanut butter or almond butter; Greek yogurt with granola or cereal topping; I also get snacks mailed to me by a company called Graze.
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love apples with peanut butter. You could put a chocolate chip on each slice after you dip in the peanut butter...but that borders on not so good for you at that point since the peanut butter is already high in a few categories and then you add chocolate onto it. I also use Nutella sometimes to dip my apples in, if my plan for the day allows. But...that's probably why my weight loss has been slower than it could have been. I like to have a few sweets in there and wanted to keep those as part of my lifestyle change. :smile:
  • Timshel_
    Options
    And interestingly, one tip a lot of weight loss websites give is to have healthy snacks available when cravings hit, but I would add that make sure you have only a single portion available. Can't count the number of times I bought a bunch of health snacks to have around, and I consumed less than healthy portions! That is especially true when you have heavy cravings!

So I make small portion baggies that I try to eat at regular intervals to avoid cravings, but if I eat during cravings I eat very slowly to try and mentally feel more satisfied with less.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm currently loving those quaker popped rice crisps - they're probably not exactly healthy, but one serving is only 130 calories, and they're extremely satisfying for when you're craving chips. Right now I have the cheddar ones, and actually like them just as well as I used to like the cheddar and sour cream ruffles, and a serving is pretty decent sized.
  • MorganLange508
    MorganLange508 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love carrots, green peppers, and a tablespoon or two of hummus! Simple and healthy
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oooo, Buffy reminded me...I also like the Quaker rice cakes (50 cal. each) in caramel or apple cinnamon. Very satisfying crunch!
  • dewy333
    dewy333 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, sometimes when you feel hungry, you are actually thirsty instead. Drink 4-6 oz of water and wait 10-15 mins before eating. Snacking is really about preparation. Prepare 3 snacks and you've always got a choice (I usually eat 2 (11am-ish & 3pm-ish). I even go so far as to enter them into my food log and take out what I don't eat at the end of the day.

I like trail mixes (correctly portioned, of course); you get a mix of salty & sweet.
    Apples, oranges, bananas. I keep a jar of PB at my desk at work, I can add it to crackers, bread, bagel, apples or bananas. And in a pinch, I've been known to eat a spoonful straight out of the jar. :smile:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I love apples with peanut butter. You could put a chocolate chip on each slice after you dip in the peanut butter...but that borders on not so good for you at that point since the peanut butter is already high in a few categories and then you add chocolate onto it. I also use Nutella sometimes to dip my apples in, if my plan for the day allows. But...that's probably why my weight loss has been slower than it could have been. I like to have a few sweets in there and wanted to keep those as part of my lifestyle change. :smile:

Those are good ideas. I think that is fine if you have the extra calories or want to make room for those calories. I like apples with peanut butter and I think the chocolate chip sounds like a great idea. I like to core a strawberry and put a little dab of nutella inside. I also like the Chobani flips a lot. And the prepackaged nuts. I have to get prepackaged nuts because if I don't there is no way I can control my portion. I eat the fiber one brownies a lot when I just need something cakey. There is no way I could sustain these eating habits if I never allow myself sweets or if I feel guilty about it when I do.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    dewy333 wrote: »
    Don't forget, sometimes when you feel hungry, you are actually thirsty instead. Drink 4-6 oz of water and wait 10-15 mins before eating.

^^^^ This really helps. Good point.

• barby8051
    barby8051 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Light n Fit Greek yogurt- their flavor so are unbelievable. Mini sweet peppers. Almond milk instead of cow's with cereal. Pistachios IN THE SHELLS(helps with portion control). For salty cravings, Special K cracker chips are awesome at making you feel like you are being decadent without the guilt. Cannot always fit them into the grocery budget so I also rely on flavored sunflower seeds IN THE SHELL. I eat no added salt with cooking and am always under my sodium allowance, so that helps ease the guilt about the high sodium.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I absolutely adore rice cakes. Topped with peanut butter & jelly they are my favorite, but any toppings will do, and they are pretty good with just margarine spread or plain, too. Other go-tos of mine are (a heaping portion of) baby carrots or a couple pieces of fruit.
  • Its_Haleeyy
    Its_Haleeyy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore rice cakes. Topped with peanut butter & jelly they are my favorite, but any toppings will do, and they are pretty good with just margarine spread or plain, too. Other go-tos of mine are (a heaping portion of) baby carrots or a couple pieces of fruit.

I like carrots if they have ranch on them but I feel like ranch defeats the purpose of eating carrots because it's unhealthy
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    veggie straws 38 are a serving.......yummmmmmmm
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I like carrots if they have ranch on them but I feel like ranch defeats the purpose of eating carrots because it's unhealthy

Maybe light ranch?
  • whitswilson
    whitswilson Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stuff dates with walnuts- loaded with fibre and other good things, but they are a bit high in sugar, so only have 3 when you're snacky :)

My other favs include:
    -cheese string
    -almonds
    -baby carrots and homemade (added-salt free) hummus or tapenade
    -olives and/or pickles
    -a single small banana
    -gf oats with flax, chia and a bit of maple syrup (like oatmeal)
    -tea with lactose-free milk
    -a bit of extra dark chocolate... the expensive kind, so you take your time