Calorie counting

Options
Hello when makining a salad how do you count the calories when everything is mixed in a bowl
I looked up all the calories for each item but I'm not eating a whole onion or whole cucumber. What is the best way to make sure I am putting the right calorie count?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I weigh each item when adding it to the salad, look them up in the database, and enter the amount of each that I ate.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I will enter ingredients manually into the recipe builder and then enter how many servings that salad made so it calculates nutrients/calories per serving
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I weigh each item when adding it to the salad, look them up in the database, and enter the amount of each that I ate.

This. I weigh each ingredient in grams as I toss it in the bowl. Make sure you look for database entries that allow you to enter weights in grams, and add each ingredient separately.
  • tmorton03
    tmorton03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get a scale. I weigh everything! I think I spent around $10 for it and it was my greatest purchase for MFP!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Things like cucumbers and onions have so few calories, especially the amount I would add to a salad, that I may not even bother logging them. Dressing, proteins, and any other fats I make sure to weigh.