Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

are carbs really the enmy

Options
exum235
exum235 Posts: 30 Member
I think not its the bodys fuel source

Replies

• furylabs
    furylabs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I believe it is the quality of the carbs that matter. You always want to choose the healthy carbs and you want to have them earlier in the day.

However, I do know that some people opt to start their diet/workout plan by completely eliminating carbs or at least having very very little carbs. Seems to help some people. I believe that has to do with wanting to see a quick visual change (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Lack of carbs can really sap your energy.

Hope that helps!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like carbs, I like proteins and fats and fibre too. It's all balance. If I have these all balanced, I also like ice cream or beer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    furylabs wrote: »
    I believe it is the quality of the carbs that matter. You always want to choose the healthy carbs and you want to have them earlier in the day.

However, I do know that some people opt to start their diet/workout plan by completely eliminating carbs or at least having very very little carbs. Seems to help some people. I believe that has to do with wanting to see a quick visual change (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Lack of carbs can really sap your energy.

Hope that helps!
    Carbs are basically broken down to sugar then converted into glucose and glycogen for the body to use. You have simple and complex carbs and the main difference is going to be the absorption time usually due to fiber content. The body doesn't distinguish "good" from "bad" carbs (there really isn't such a thing). It just breaks down to simplest form and is absorbed.
    The whole eating carbs early in the day is a myth. It's based on preference. Someone who has a carb loaded meal before bed can have all the glycogen they need to work out on an empty stomach the next morning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Midland0il4
    Midland0il4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should one have a day. I am a pre-dietabic ?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should one have a day. I am a pre-dietabic ?

You should talk to your doctor or (ideally) get a referral to a registered dietitian certified in diabetes management. You will get some conflicting information here, although I know jignatca and earlnabby are two posters who have put their T2D completely under control with weight loss and diet, so I would recommend seeking out their posts (I know you are just pre-D, but I would imagine similar approaches would help).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, carbs are not the enemy and it really irritates me how there always seems to be some macro that gets singled out -- we did fat, now we are on to carbs. Traditional diets (with healthy results) are all over the place when it comes to macro percentages and the US diet isn't particularly high carb, so my take-away is that macro percentage isn't the issue, food choice is. One can have a healthy or terrible (or in-between) diet at almost any level of carbs. Rather than worrying about macro percentage, I mostly just focus on eating a good, nutrient-rich diet with enough protein, healthy fats, and lots of vegetables, and usually go for more fibrous sources of carbs like legumes and whole grains (although if I want some potatoes or white pasta with a complete meal including protein and vegetables, I go for it).

I do think macro percentage can make a difference for some for satiety (I don't find it matters for me so long as I eat healthfully in general), and I am trying to experiment with somewhat higher carbs as I've heard it helps with training for cardio events (Matt Fitzgerald's stuff and studies he cites, as well as some other sources), but I haven't really changed how I naturally eat yet to try this (I seem to naturally eat around 150 g).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Not for me, but I have no medical conditions where minimizing carbs would help.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Food isn't the enemy. Period.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope, not the enemy. It's all about balance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...overconsumption in general is the enemy. Most people eating the SAD could stand to reduce their carbs as well as their fat as both are over consumed in the SAD...and people could definitely stand to make better choices...I mean 40oz Big Gulps aren't exactly providing your body with nutrients...but carbs provide the body with awesome energy and there are numerous sources of carbohydrates that also provide the body with awesome nutrition. I personally think that a lot of people forget that...or they don't know it and just perceive carbs as "junk" food...there are a lot of very nutritious sources of carbohydrates out there.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Do these guys look like your enemies?
    introBen.png
    PJ-BG232_FIXDEC_DV_20120328174202.jpg

Now the guys on protein shakes, they look more like your enemies, they even say combat:
    musclepharm-combat-protein.jpg
    Clearly protein is the enemy. >:)
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. No more so than other macros so long as they're from a healthy food source. And the whole 'cutting carbs' to lose weight fad really gets to me. You hear it so much, "I need to lose weight, gotta cut out the carbs!" Drives. Me. Nuts. Especially when people go on to say they don't feel great without them and then give up on whatever health endeavor all together because it was 'too hard'.
    Don't make it hard. Eat the carbs, seriously. There is a difference between donuts and french fries vs rice and potatoes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    introBen.png

Now the guys on protein shakes, they look more like your enemies, they even say combat:

I never did trust that Quaker Oats guy...his grin is just a bit to smarmy to be completely innocent...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As I've said before, carbs are not evil. They do not travel through your system with little pitchforks stabbing the fat to keep it in your system.

I think the biggest issue is it's currently one of the Things To Avoid™ list, and I personally can't figure why. Maybe it has to do with Celiac disease become well known and people are self-diagnosing? I know years ago that I thought gluten made my allergies worse, but that didn't last long. Mostly because I really REALLY wanted bread, and I figured as long as I take my allergy meds, I'll be ok. Then realized it wasn't making any difference one way or another. I dunno, it seems to go back to what 'they' say will help you lose weight and people buying into it because they either want a quick fix or don't want to blame themselves for getting into the habit of overeating.
  • senecarr
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    As I've said before, carbs are not evil. They do not travel through your system with little pitchforks stabbing the fat to keep it in your system.

I think the biggest issue is it's currently one of the Things To Avoid™ list, and I personally can't figure why. Maybe it has to do with Celiac disease become well known and people are self-diagnosing? I know years ago that I thought gluten made my allergies worse, but that didn't last long. Mostly because I really REALLY wanted bread, and I figured as long as I take my allergy meds, I'll be ok. Then realized it wasn't making any difference one way or another. I dunno, it seems to go back to what 'they' say will help you lose weight and people buying into it because they either want a quick fix or don't want to blame themselves for getting into the habit of overeating.

Actually, it's a bit funny that gluten itself isn't even a carbohydrate - it's a protein. Some gluten free stuff has more carbohydrates as a percentage of calories because the protein from gluten is gone.

Carbohydrates being the enemy goes back as far as the Banting diet system, with the most recent trends being in the 1970s with Atkins, with a late 90s revitalization that came about as a push back against the low fat movement of the 80s.
  • pdsflash
    pdsflash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest diet doctors.com as a source to find the answer to your question.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Of course carbs aren't "the enemy"; too many calories is. Carbs are one potential fuel source, along with fat and protein. Finding the right mix of macros to promote satiety is IMO pretty important to long term success, for some people that means a diet higher in protein, for others a diet higher in fat, for others still a more "balanced" approach, but focused on fiber and food volume. I find hflc works best for me, from my own trial and error. Yes, I can (and have) lost weight by only restricting calories, paying no mind to carbs (I've also lost weight restricting fat, increasing fiber, etc), but I find the satiety level of a hflc diet most sustainable for me. I always found myself super hungry and struggling on lower fat diets or simply calorie controlled diets and over time my resolve would wane and I'd have to eat all. the. things. And of course regain whatever I had lost. But everyone has to find what works for them.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Inherently, they're not the enemy. But like everything else, moderation is key, especially for those who are prone to high blood sugar levels. In some cases, those who have a tendency to have elevated blood sugar (not necessarily at the level of diabetes initially) could eventually run into problems from high carb consumption even if one is maintaining weight.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    introBen.png

@senecarr You forgot one. :)

l5at63lkua84.jpg
    aj.jpg 39.4K
  • senecarr
    Options
    introBen.png

@senecarr You forgot one. :)

l5at63lkua84.jpg

No, she's not just carbs, she's sugar syrup, and sugar definitely is the debil.
This discussion has been closed.