Incorporating Tumeric and Ginger for inflammation and pain

Options
Weaz66
Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
I would like to start using turmeric and ginger for inflammation and pain. I have arthritis in my hips and hands. In addition I have trigger finger in both hands. Most days it's hard for me to make a closed fist. Any suggestions on beginning the use is greatly appreciated. Feel free to add me as a friend. The more support I have the better. I've been fighting with my weight a long time and need to take it off once and for all. Slowly I'm weaning out the bad and incorporating the healthy!

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I do both, and also use several DHA Fish oil caps/day.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can also try Tart Cherry Juice. Make sure it has no added sugar. I drink 4-6 oz every morning. Some people drink 4 oz in the morning and 4 oz at night.

I can't take large doses of tumeric because it causes gallbladder pain.
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-shouldnt-consume-curcumin-or-turmeric/
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Turmeric pills have greatly helped my husband with his psoriasis. You can get them at wal-Mart or most pharmacy stores. He has almost no flare-ups now and it used to be really bad in the winter for him. I know turmeric is just a general immune system booster, the pills are great but you can also cook with it. Look up Indian recipes that use a lot of turmeric and ginger - www.manjulaskitchen.com is the best!

Does he have any weird side effects from taking the pill form? I want to try them, but years ago I took garlic pills and they made my sweat smell horrible and I burped them up all day long.
  • whitswilson
    whitswilson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Green tea with honey and a slice of ginger is, seriously, incredibly delicious. Replace the honey with maple syrup if you can, because it's high in magnesium which is great for inflammation. Start reading about foods with anti-inflammatory properties and reach for things high in magnesium wherever you can ;)

I use turmeric, curry and cumin in everything. The three spices go really well together. Keep them visible on your counter, next to your salt and pepper, to help encourage you to put them on everything.

Try baking chickpeas with olive oil, turmeric, curry, cumin and a bit of sea salt and eat them as a snack instead of other salty things. They're also great on salads and in pilafs! I, literally, but them on everything, to make sure I'm getting turmeric everyday.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My daughter makes a turmeric, ginger, pepper milk with honey. I like it better than hot chocolate as a warm up drink. She got the recipe off of Pinterest.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yes, golden milk is the best. Make a paste of hot water and turmeric powder and a little ginger then add to hot milk. It's spicy and soothing, it really helps my muscle pain too
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I take ginger root daily in pill form for motion sickness (and it works). You can get it from wal-mart, walgreens, CVS, etc. It also comes in some teas.
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Yes, golden milk is the best. Make a paste of hot water and turmeric powder and a little ginger then add to hot milk. It's spicy and soothing, it really helps my muscle pain too

Being I never used turmeric or ginger before, can you give me an idea of how much of each to use?
  • star1407
    Options
    Try a teaspoon of each and then dribble water in until it's paste like. Then you can add it to your milk little by little until you like how it tastes. I have been using stem ginger lately, adding a piece to the milk so it flavours as it heats up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Slice off some fresh ginger to add to hot tea.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Here's an iced tea I enjoy...add 1/4 tsp ground turmeric and 1/4 tsp ground ginger to 1 cup boiled water. Mix well and let cool. Add ice and juice of half a small lemon.
  • star1407
    Options
    I also like turmeric and ginger in hot water with lemon and have found green tea bearable with them added to it
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Try some indian recipes... very addictively yummy.
  • star1407
    Options
    Try some indian recipes... very addictively yummy.

Years ago when I lived in London I was great friends with an Indian lady who made me what she called milk sweets. They were so good, I'd love to know what they were. I'd use my whole days calories on them if I had to :D
  • star1407
    Options
    Am now happily snuggled up in bed reading mfp and sipping hot golden milk B)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It sounds like you plan to just incorporate more turmeric into your diet, so this is probably unnecessary. But just in case ...

Be aware that turmeric in very large doses (i.e. supplementation pill doses and higher) can be toxic. Especially if your liver is somewhat compromised already (you drink regularly, take medicine that stresses the liver, etc). Basically, just don't go nuts with it.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I use both Turmeric and Ginger ( not together), usually with asian recipes. I use them to provide additional taste to tofu or chicken. They provide a good seasoning. It usually is a small portion ( 1/2 tsp) per 3 oz of tofu or meat.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Fantastic thread! Will take note of all of this!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle turmeric and use ginger in just about everything. Oatmeal and scrambled eggs at breakfast, in tuna or chicken salad, in soup (even added to canned soup), in stir-frys, ...

Be careful with turmeric powder - it'll stain cloth and possibly your counters (depending on material).

I steep cinnamon stick and ginger root in boiled water, then refrigerate. I like it just like that - it's spicy! When I serve it to guests, I'll often add fresh lemon juice and honey.

The only small warning I'll give is that I've been told to stop turmeric a few days before planned surgery and during recovery. Surgeon told me it's a blood thinner. Check with your doctor to see if that's an issue for you.

I just made a peanut sauce to put on chicken for dinner - peanut powder, cayenne, ginger, turmeric and some diced onion, mixed with water. I would have used coconut milk if I had any.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is lovely for anything you want a lovely red or orange color - I add some to many of my soups, tomato sauces, and so on. You want to make sure and cook it a bit, though, as it can be bitter if it's not cooked enough.

Ginger - I often add grated ginger whenever I'm adding cooked onions (cooking the ginger in the last few minutes of cooking the onions, in the same pan.). Or you can make ginger tea by getting about 5 slices of fresh organic ginger (leave peel on), boil in 4 cups of water for about 15 min, then turn off heat and steep 15 min, and then strain and serve. One can add fresh turmeric root slices to this, as well, if desired.

The powdered stuff does work too, I've heard, but I'll be honest, I like the fresh stuff better. Flavor seems less harsh, and there's likely a few things in it that are lost during processing - although you DO get less of it, because the powdered form is going to be more concentrated, obviously.

I usually find fresh ginger or turmeric root at the store, although health food type stores, like whole foods, are sometimes the only places I find the fresh turmeric root.

and if you are interested, I have heard some research suggesting good things about frankincense, too. I've seen people use oils/extracts, but I've also seen some who just use the dried sap, ground up and added to a tea, say - the smell is really amazing, and the sap is not too expensive (extracts or oils are quite a bit more). I've seen this for sale online.