Eating Well on a BUDGET???

sincereme
sincereme Posts: 276
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok guys/gals, so I am having a little trouble with eating healthy when everything is sooooooooo expensive :huh: . I go to the farmers market for fruits and veggies because its much cheaper than Stop and Shop but I still spend so much money on other things. There are weeks when its just not possible. Plus, I have to feed a family of 4 which includes paying for school lunches as well.

How do you manage? Any meal ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    sandwiches and salads are great/cheapish healthy food. whole wheat bread. If you're like me, i get honey wheat, and i don't like veggies on my sandwich so i have carrots or something on the side, a piece of fruit, and some chex mix or baked chips, super yummy summer lunch
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I buy in bulk-Rice, beans etc they are cheaper this way and a lot less sodium than canned foods. Also frozen veggies are not too $$ and last longer then the fresh ones if you know its something that won't be used up completely right away. I just watch for sales on fruits and veggies.
  • Alot of times I do comparative shopping I bascially by which fruit are on sale. There is a Easy Way ( a store that sale fresh fruit and veggies) they have a clearance table which is not bad. Just ripe fruit that has to be eaten with a couple of days of buying it. Sam's Club sales large quantities of veggies and fruit, not so cheap but will last a while. Frozen veggies from local grocery. Fresh is best but if you cannot afford it buy frozen. Hopes this helps......I have a family of 5 and is always looking for the best deals! :flowerforyou:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Don't forget soups. You can buy dried beans and vegetables in bulk, make soups or stews, and freeze into portions to thaw as you need.

What other things are you spending money on? You really don't need much past the basics.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 845 Member
    Do you have Aldi by you? Produce is pretty cheap there
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    My wife and I had this conversation on saturday, we are trying to get good and went to Whole Foods here and it would be impossible to feed a family of 4 shopping just there (meat was TWICE as much). So we are doing some hard thinking of things we can replace in our normal diet for less processed, starting trying to grow some of our fruit and veggies and think what can we make ourselves (pasta and bread), but its goign to be an uphil struggle, its so much cheaper to just buy food in a box.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    If you go to Native Sun, Whole Foods, or one of the specialty organic type grocery stores, go to the bulk section where you have a section of foods you can scoop into a plastic baggie and choose your own quantity--these bins of food usually run you much cheaper than if you buy it in packages somewhere else in the store, and they generally are less expensive than the same items if you were to obtain them in a conventional, less healthy grocery store. If the bulk item bins you have an assortment of healthy choices such as many varieties of beans, rice, nutritional yeast, quinoa, seeds, granola, chick peas, lentils, etc.
  • I use alot of frozen veggies. Cheaper than fresh, and I can stock up on them when I have coupons and when they go on sale. That way I always have veggies, and I never waste because something went bad (which is just throwing money away). Usually, the leaner cuts of meat that I buy now are cheaper than the fattier ones I was buying before (sirloin steak vs. ribeyes). I only shop for two so it's a bit different.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Frozen veg is sometimes better then fresh as it's frozen quick to keep as many of the nutrients in as possible. Frozen meat is great as you can just defrost what you need (bag portions, makes it easier), make up big batches of things like soup, pasta sauce, and anything else that freezes well and will keep. Do you have a garden? If you do and you use potatoes a fair bit why not plant some? Depending how old the kids are, this can be great fun for them and a bit of a project too as they need very little care!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    ohh yes... this is a problem for me as well! Eating healthy is expensive....

i buy meat and fish in bulk, then get home and parcel them out into smaller portions.

Go for fruits and eggies that are in season... they'll be cheaper.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    i always, always shop according to my local grocery store ad. i plan my dinners before i go to the store so i know exactly what to buy so i'm not buying extra junk. i buy loaves of bread when on sale and freeze them. i buy the healthy life 35 calorie wheat bread and i love to put a little romaine, mustard, and ham and just have a sandwich. i can sometimes get those loaves on sale 2/$4 and i will stock up and freeze some. also cucumbers are cheap, i usually eat those as a snack or as a side with my sandwich. green peppers are also yummy. rice cakes and popcorn are also great snacks and i like to dip them both in salsa. frozen veggies are a great side dish. buy lean meats when on sale and freeze them. i buy chicken breasts and cut them in half and grill them all at once then save them for lunches/dinners through out the week.
  • StaLee29
    StaLee29 Posts: 11
    Plan meals weekly, basing what you'll have that week by whats on sale. Try even frozen or canned veggies/fruit (rinsing 1st to eliminate the syrup or sodium). Even though they're canned or frozen its still better than not eating them at all. Make dishes that spread out (for examples lasagna can be healthy, packed full of different kinds of veggies - mushrroms, spinach, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, ect..., and making one large dish can be leftovers for the next day or frozen for a later meal) Just some ideas!
  • We eat red beans and brown rice for dinner almost every monday. Granted, I am from New Orleans and that is pretty traditional around here. But at $3-$5 for a pot that feeds a family of 5 with 2nds and leftovers, it's a healthy bargain.

We eat meat sparingly ever since I started buying hormone-free, free-ranging, blah-blah-blah. That stuff is expensive so it comes into play only once or twice a week.

Vegetables are the bulk of our meal. What is in season is cheap. What is out of season is frozen which makes it a reasonable price.

Dinner for us always either includes wheat pasta, brown rice, or potatoes. Cheap, cheap, cheap, and filling for the fam. I don't usually eat that part of the meal and either eat a bigger salad or more of the other veggies to fill up.

Also, (because of my sister-in-law who is a raw vegan and spends a butt-load of money on food for her little family of two) I have begun to think of healthier food and the higher grocery bill as an upfront investment in health. My children are rarely (if ever) sick and neither am I.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    We're a family of 5 with one income, so it's tight here as well. I spend about $175 every 2 weeks on groceries. I shop at a store called Aldi and get most of my stuff there minus personal hygiene items. I have to buy the "must have" such as milk, bread and cereal. My boys aren't very picky, then again..they don't leave the table until they're done with their food. So that saves me money that way also. I stock up on lots of fruits, veggies, chicken that are fairly price (if I find a better deal at Walmart or Kroger- I'll go there as well). I plan out my meals for 2 weeks and stick to that shopping list- a must for me because I tend to see something good and I'll put it in my cart. Lol! My husband brings his lunch to work and there will be times I will have to pack 2 shift worth of food. My oldest goes to school, but since we're a family of 5, we qualify for a reduced breakfast and lunch- we save a lot doing it that way.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    First, I think its awesome you go to the farmers market. That is my ONE biggest piece of feedback for people trying to save money. It sounds like your market only had produce vendors? For meats, try going to your local butcher. The bigger/more meat you buy, the better a discount the butcher will give you. When you get home, spend a little time trimming, cutting, dicing (whichever you want to do) keep out what you need for the week in the frig and put the rest in the freezer. This saves A LOT of money because buying in bulk, while expensive 'at first' in the long run means you have to buy less frequently therefore, spending less money. Butchers also have great specials on meats (lean meat at that), so keep an eye out for those.

Also, when you do go to the local grocery store (sometimes you just have to >.<) buy everything like rice, beans, lentils, pasta etc in bulk. Same concept as above. Sometimes, the more you buy, the better the ending cost.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Also, (because of my sister-in-law who is a raw vegan and spends a butt-load of money on food for her little family of two) I have begun to think of healthier food and the higher grocery bill as an upfront investment in health. My children are rarely (if ever) sick and neither am I.

Ever since I went to eating better foods, I have also noticed Im not sick anywhere NEAR as frequently as I used to be. I think Ive been sick once in the last year and it was fine after a couple days of rest.
  • KarieRod
    KarieRod Posts: 15
    Struggling with this as well. For my weight loss, I try to start the day with a slice of lemon (50 cents) in warm 8 oz. water and 8 oz. green tea with breakfast. This is cheap and filling, the lemon helps start the digestion process in your body. I usually go through 2 1/2 lemons a week (about 3 slices per lemon). And green tea at every meal, for fillers. Green tea has the antioxidants that help prevent grey hair so soon. Hope this helps.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Last year I made a list of the thirty grocery items we buy most often and went on a pricing spree at every grocery in our area to figure out which store had the best prices. It did take a lot of work (I knocked out nine stores in a week) but in doing my price comparisons I was able to cut our weekly grocery bill from $100ish a week to $30ish a week (for two people) simply by changing stores (I was shopping at Giant Eagle and now shop at Aldi). Of course there are some items that Aldi does not carry so I occasionally have to go to a larger grocery store but those trips are few and far between.

I have also discovered that menu planning and carrying a detailed shopping list is an absolute MUST! We don't eat much in the way of processed foods around here which takes a little more work to prep for meals but it really helps to keep costs down and makes it much easier for me, the reason for limited processed foods is that I have food allergies and it really is a ton of work to read all those ingredient labels every time you buy something.

We also do our very best to go to the grocery store only once a week (our day is Thursday). I've noticed that every time I go to the grocery store for one forgotten item, no matter how small that item is, it ends up costing $20.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    I eat beans for lunch almost everyday because they are cheap and have a good protein/carb ratio. I also eat peanut butter almost every morning for the same reason. Buy veggies in season / on sale and frozen stuff :) I also use a site called Iheartpublix that matches coupon to the sale adds - maybe you could google to see if their is a site like this for a store near you.
This discussion has been closed.