Weak knee on elliptical?

Options
Hi!
I've been going to the gym for a couple of weeks now and I'm enjoying it despite being pretty unfit, but my knee is worrying me. I spend most of my time there on the elliptical, but my right knee starts to feel really weak after a while, like my leg is going to give way, and it keeps locking. This wasn't happening the first couple of times I went to the gym but it seems to be getting worse (I've been about eight times now, probably spending about half an hour on the elliptical each time I'm there, which is about all I can manage at my fairly pathetic level of fitness). My question is, is this something I should just work through, or is it a sign that something is properly wrong with my knee? It doesn't hurt at all and it only ever feels weak on the elliptical (I don't want to switch to a treadmill because I'm worried that would aggravate an old foot injury).

Sorry for writing so much, thanks for reading this!

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Can you try something else for a while? Although the treadmill's out, you could try recumbent bikes (notoriously good for knees).

If it persists after a period of rest or on different exercises, I'd see a doctor. While it could be your gait or posture while using the elliptical, it could also be something physically wrong with the knee or the tendons around it that need to be treated.
  • sweetestwave
    sweetestwave Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try the bikes anyway so I'll give that a shot. I did wonder if it was just bad gait/posture, I think it could be. I'm still trying to train myself to walk properly after that foot injury, I still don't put any weight on the outside of my left foot out of habit (but I never notice it any more which is why it's hard to change) so I feel like I could quite easily be standing oddly on the elliptical without noticing :p
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, may not be right for you, but I go with a "little of this" and a "little of that".

Knees issues (arthritis/torn meniscus) and a foot issue (PF) on my right foot.

I warm up on the treadmill...start slow, bump up a little quicker every 1/10th mile. After about a half mile my feet are warm, around 3/4ths of a mile I'm all over warm. Presently I start around 2.8 and go as high as 3.8 mph to get my heart rate up over 110. This takes about 20 minutes to get in a mile.

Next I visit the rowing machine for about 15 minutes and finish with 15 minutes elliptical. In the past I've had an issue with feet feeling "asleep" after a long spell on the elliptical.

So I mix it up to not over tax anything in particular and reduce boredom, but still get my heart rate up.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If the machine has the option, you can try adjusting the stride length... I remember hating the ellipticals at my local gym because they hurt my knees, but the elliptical i hate at home never bothered me, I could be on it for hours.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The old foot injury definitely could be affecting the knee. Our bodies try to compensate in ways we don't even realize.
  • kaylaprosser739
    kaylaprosser739 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have bursitis in the knee and my knee locks up after about 15 minutes. Or at least it used to. I've since gotten stronger and it is no longer locking up. Remember to stretch it is key. For some reason I love lunges they helped strengthen my knee also.
    Good luck!