barbell question for those who like to lift

Options
Lifting equipment questions - I am looking to get a Barbell set - any suggestions on purchases you have and love for at home workouts (space is minimal)? 5' or 6' bar? I'm surpassing my DB set and need something heavier for many lifts. any suggestions or tips are appreciated. I had a BB set and it was removed (long story), but I need to buy another one and Sports Authority is having a 20% off sale!!!!

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The barbell from sets at sports authority are usually 7 feet long, which is the standard barbell length. There are shorter barbells, but they're usually specialty. If you have a craigslist near you, I would suggest using that. You can get a similar quality set to Sports Authority for about 1/2 the price, and or a better quality set for the same price.
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I prefer a 6ft bar, but if space is limited 5ft may work. Having enough weights is both expensive and will take up room. You can buy them gradually. It is also worth keeping an eye out on Craigslist or your local facebook tag sale site
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You could always get a Landmine sleeve and Olympic barbell/weights if your space can accommodate length-wise. And you can add even more resistance with single-arm or single-leg work. I do push presses, rows, squats and rotational moves with mine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you could get a hex bar- but that wouldn't solve the squat issue.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Depends on your goals. If you're training specifically to be able to do a hi/low bar squat then I'd agree, but if you're just trying to build the muscles, there are a lot of articles out there that say the hex bar squat-lift is actually better than doing squats and deadlifts. Keeps the weight centered and your back more neutral, so there's a less frequency of injury.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    An olympic bar (for plates with 2" diameter holes) is typically 7', a standard bar (for plates with a 1" diameter hole) is typically 6'. What are your long term goals? You could easily get by with a standard bar that can support a working load of 200-250lb for a very long time as a female. I mean, JoRocka and a few of the other female lifters on this site would bend a standard bar pretty easily, but not everyone wants to get to their level. I mean, if your end weight is 120lb you may never reach a 250lb deadlift as that would take some serious dedication.

If you aren't doing Olympic lifts and don't intend to lift +250lb, then a standard set with a 6' bar is a good option. You can always upgrade later.

Personally, I have Dick's half rack and olympic bar and that set only goes up to 300lb. The bar already has a slight bend to it, and I'm not sure if that was from deadlifting 300lb or squatting 280lb. I need to upgrade the bar though since I'm progressing past the level it was built for. The rack goes up to 600lb and I have no intention of surpassing a 400lb squat and if I do the rack still has room to go for a bit and as I said you can always upgrade.
  • matty86suk
    matty86suk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Search your local kijiji or craigslist. Lots of deals to be had for this type of gear.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Depends on your goals. If you're training specifically to be able to do a hi/low bar squat then I'd agree, but if you're just trying to build the muscles, there are a lot of articles out there that say the hex bar squat-lift is actually better than doing squats and deadlifts. Keeps the weight centered and your back more neutral, so there's a less frequency of injury.

Truth- I am SO bias to a regular squat- so I assume everyone else is to- it's definitely do-able LOL But the hex bar is indeed a tidy solution to size space issues.