"You look like you've gained weight!"

Options
In the past two weeks I've had two different people tell me I look like I've gained weight, one of them being my nephew who looked at me and said, "You were skinnier the last time I saw you."

It's like, gee thanks! I didn't notice!

Anyone else get this a lot? Why would anybody say something like that? :explode:

Replies

• jinxywinx
    jinxywinx Posts: 38
    Options
    My aunt does this all the time. Drives me bonkers!
  • durbink
    durbink Posts: 2
    Options
    I had a woman at work a month ago(a lady I only see every great once in while) look at my stomach and say, "I didn't know you were expecting!" It took me a moment to realize what she meant. When I finally figured out that she thought I was pregnant I said, "You didn't know because I'm not expecting." So yeah, I've had that happen to me!! I don't really know what possesses people to say such things.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    kids are sometime brutally honest i have lost 45 lbs my 9 year old told me yesterday that the shorts i had on made my butt look big.. lol... take it with a grain of salt and a lump of sugar the only opinion that matters is yours.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My Mum does it as well, clearly these people aren't subscribing to the 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all' maxim!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    my grandmother (passed now) used to say that, and then she'd slap at my thighs kinda hard and say, "You need to get some of that fat off them thighs!!" yikes!!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I once had my friends little cousin come up to me point and say "wow you're fat"

I wanted to kill that kid.
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Although I've been hurt by strangers thinking I'm pregnant, or little kids saying I'm fat, I sometimes wish someone close to me would have said something constructive before I got this big! Oh well, I probably wouldn't have listened anyway. Wasn't ready.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i had someone ask me if i was pregnant again :(
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Years ago, when my Grandfather was still with us, was there. We had just finished filling our plates and I was about to begin piling an abnormally large amount of food into my mouth, my grandpa, from across the table, shouted "Johanna, it looks like you've put on some weight". All eyes turned to me as I had a fork full of food lifted to my mouth.

My Grandpa was right, but even still, it ruined my Thanksgiving!
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - my brother is incredibly overweight and at my heaviest my grandmother grabed my face and emotionally said, "You're looking like your brother!"

At the same time though, I didn't see how big I had gotten and maybe if a few people had gently mentioned it to me I might have taken more notice? Not too sure but I know one thing: I certainly like the people who notice I've LOST weight and comment on it!!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    my grandmother (passed now) used to say that, and then she'd slap at my thighs kinda hard and say, "You need to get some of that fat off them thighs!!" yikes!!

That sounds like something my grandma would have said too! She'd always pinch an inch :0)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Yeah, my sister loves to make observations like that. Drives me nuts. After I got married and left, and then came back to visit, I gained maybe 3-4 lbs, and she was like, "Wow, you are getting chubby". Really? I literally only gained a few lbs. I always hear her voice in my head when I look at myself, I swear. I am going to visit my family in less than a week, and I am excited because I was 20 lbs heavier last time I saw them. :) It's hard to ignore those comments... just use them to fuel your weight-loss!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I could gain a half a pound and my mother will tell me that I look like I've gain 10. I won't tell you to not let it bother you because I would be a hypocrite if I did. I try and take the advice of others and remember that its not about them, its about how you feel.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Although I've been hurt by strangers thinking I'm pregnant, or little kids saying I'm fat, I sometimes wish someone close to me would have said something constructive before I got this big! Oh well, I probably wouldn't have listened anyway. Wasn't ready.

So agree!!!

One stranger asked me if I was pregnant and I replied with a giant smile on my face and a gentle rubbing of my belly, "Nope! I just love McDonalds!"
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    That is terrible that you all had to be the recipient of such bad manners! It doesn't matter if someone has gained 400 pounds, you don't say "gee have you gained weight?". The nerve of people...
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    Yeah, my sister loves to make observations like that. Drives me nuts. After I got married and left, and then came back to visit, I gained maybe 3-4 lbs, and she was like, "Wow, you are getting chubby". Really? I literally only gained a few lbs. I always hear her voice in my head when I look at myself, I swear. I am going to visit my family in less than a week, and I am excited because I was 20 lbs heavier last time I saw them. :) It's hard to ignore those comments... just use them to fuel your weight-loss!!

That's a really good way of looking at it :)
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I actually love the fact that my son is so honest. If I put something on and ask my husband, he'll always tell me I look good (unless it is REALLY bad). My son - if he doesn't like it he tells me right off!

On the rare ooccasion my husband and I get a date I always have Dylan in the closet with me checking out my outfits. :-)
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    People have said that to me even when I was still really skinny--if I went from 107lbs to 112lbs somebody would have to comment and either tell me I looked like I was gaining weight or tell me that then also ask me if I'm pregnant.

People are just insensitive idiots. I mean really, people who are overweight may scoff at a person thinner than them having body image issues, but in reality I think people who are somewhat thin sometimes get picked on just as much if not more because then people think its just automatically ok to say whatever you want to somebody and its NOT! I'm not pregnant I'm just fat and if I get fatter then its none of your freaking business idiots!!! Haha. I just want to slap ppl sometimes.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My kids are honest with me and I've accepted it even if it hurts. Truth hurts that why I'm fixing it.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    There are some people out there that speak before they think about how those words will affect that person. I agree, kids can be brutally honest with things like this!

When things like that have happened to me, I wonder to myself if anyone has ever called them on how ugly & rude it is to say these kinds of things. I also think that I can work to lose the weight & chances are they're probably miserable people to say such ugly things, & it will take twice as long for them to change.

Keep your head up & keep on working towards your goal. Do it for you & forget what those kinds of people say!