Women who bench press?

Options
Are there any women out there that use primarily free weights? And that bench press?
I am going in a race with my brother in June called the "Lift N Run". In this race you bench press (about half your weight) and then later run, they take minutes off your running time depending on how many bench presses you can do. My problem is, I feel very awkward benching at the gym because the free weights section is mostly men. How did you, if you needed to, get over that awkwardness? Any advice? I am guessing most men don't care if you do weights around them but I am literally intimidated by the "muscle-heads".

Replies

• FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    You just go in and do you. Seriously I was super uncomfortable when I first joined a gym, and I joined specifically for lifting. But I just went in, put on my music, and did what I needed to do. I didn't worry what other people thought. I know it can be awkward but the only answer is just to do it anyways and before you know it you will be fine.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In my experience the men are more intimidated by a lifting woman.... plus its amusing watching them trying to out do each other... get in there! You'll soon feel at home!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Can you go lift with your brother so you aren't at the bench alone, and he can hand off the bar and spot you, etc? Most people in the free weight section of the gym don't care who else is in there, and most of them are as intimidated as you, just ignore them.
    and if you really wanna bench a lot of reps, look up proper form on the bench , it will help you a lot. If you train in the free weight section for this run you might end up loving the bench, its one of my favorites
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I know what you mean - when I started lifting it took me forever to work up the courage (not to mention the strength) to bench press. I started by using lighter dumbbells gradually increasing weight until I could bench the barbell. One thing that helped me was finding a time to go to the gym when it's not very busy. Luckily I live in a small town and the gym is not what I would call excessively busy except at certain times. I go between 9-11AM - very few people overall in the gym at that time compared to after 5 PM or early mornings before work! I would assume midafternoons are less busy also.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I bench at home but if you need to lift at a gym, you just have to make yourself go in and do it. Focus on you and what you are doing and ignore the people around you, just being careful not to get in anybody's way. Like I said, I don't bench in the gym but I've pretty much done the "ignore everybody around you and exist in your own bubble" thing when out in public a lot during my life and the truth is that it is exceedingly easy to go in places and get out and not have to interact with anybody and to not care if others are looking at or thinking about you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's just a big room with some people in it and some heavy things - some of the heavy things just happen to be people!
    Go for it, any awkwardness won't last.

Here's a really good tutorial by a woman who really does know her bench press....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XRmd3a8_0
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had to kick a guy off my bench one day, b/c I left for a minute to pee. NBD- I was nice about it and said he could work in. I usually bench on days when my husband is with me so I have a designated spotter. I do deload weeks by myself. I just put I my earbuds and ignore everyone else. It helps to put in a "game face" and look too focused to interact. Men completely understand this face.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just go in there and do it. You got this.
    I bench alone most of the time. Can't be bothered to ask for a spotter unless I'm testing high numbers.
  • Karmc2k
    Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. It is so cool to know that so many women like lifting weights. I am inspired now. I think I will ask my brother to take me one or two times and then the next time I go I will just pop the earbuds in and only focus on what I am doing. Also, thanks for the clip of the woman benching...I know I will be watching it over a couple of times before I go.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I bench alone all the time. It's more fun with my teammates with me, but fundamentally, the work just needs to get done.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I bench alone. If I am very concerned about failing I bench in the squat cage (very rarely though)
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bench alone all the time. I am not afraid of doing the "roll of shame" if I fail, but I will ask for a spotter once I get to about 85% because it makes handing off and staying in position easier.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I bench alone all the time. I agree I think men are more intimidated by a lifting woman. Don't make eye contact. Don't feed them. Haha. I get treated like one of the guys at the gym now days. I love it.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I bench alone all the time. I agree I think men are more intimidated by a lifting woman. Don't make eye contact. Don't feed them. Haha. I get treated like one of the guys at the gym now days. I love it.

Me too. I love the bros.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I bench 'alone', too (as if the gym is ever empty). The weights I'm using wouldn't pin me - just need a roll of shame. Goal is to eventually get to the point where I need a spotter or safety bars.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What is a roll of shame?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    When you fail and can't lift the bar back up so you roll it to your legs in order to get from underneath it.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    oh ok
  • McKittyJane
    McKittyJane Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I lift, but im blessed to have a weight set at home. TBH i would be more nervous in the cardio areas of the gym than the weight room.