So hungry !

Options
vasdfp24
vasdfp24 Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So my first day of the 1200 cal. Diet my nutritionist put me on is going good, other than the fact that it's only 6:45pm and my body feels really hungry. :(

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    vasdfp24 wrote: »
    So my first day of the 1200 cal. Diet my nutritionist put me on is going good, other than the fact that it's only 6:45pm and my body feels really hungry. :(

Why so little? If you're hungry, have a snack. No need to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ouch, 1200 is brutal. If you can pick up some hobbies to keep yourself busy you might not notice how hungry you are. Are you eating filling foods? I know if I eat high calorie stuff i'm way more hungry than if I eat lower cal stuff. Just because I can eat a lot more of the lower calorie packed stuff. I recently learned how to make a ground turkey and cheese quiche that's pretty filling and pretty low in calories. I eat two servings at about 360 calories added up. I've never been big on cooking, but eating right is making me a chef! Well, maybe a line cook...
  • sysullivan466
    sysullivan466 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 cal too been 11 days. First 2 days were hard. I went over. Then I did better. For snacks I went out and bought lots of fruits ( grapes, apples, blueberries, blackberries, and some melon). I also bought some string cheese and wheat thins. It helped me to portion out my fruit and snacks on in individual packets; that way I could just grab one when I was hungry. With the snacks being pre-portioned I would graze instead of eat all at one time. That helped me when I needed or thought I was hungry.
  • Eseber
    Eseber Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have some meal replacement shakes I got from gnc they only have170 calories I believe and I feel full for hours after drinking one
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You'll be hungry as hell for three days. Just stick to it, go to bed early. haha Protein shakes are good, as are low cal snacks like sliced cucumber (which you can eat mountains of).
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 cals for almost four months. No problem as I work out (walking usually) almost everyday which allows me a little more. I really have not found it difficult at all.

Very occasionally I get 'stupidly' hungry but really know (now) it is emotional eating that is raging (when I am stressed) and not true hunger.
    Hang in there - each day it gets easier.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    kimyrachel wrote: »
    No wonder you are hungry :( i don't know your body statistics but you should definitely get more calories. If you don't get enough calories your body will go into a starvation mode and start storing fat. Not only this, from hunger you will definitely backfire. Please consider getting more calories but the right food! Also feel free to add me! :)

Don't listen to this. Starvation mode is a myth. Anorexics are proof of this. 1200 is plenty of calories if you eat veggies. Have a salad as a side dish. Or have a veggie soup as a side dish. Munch on veggie and egg muffins. Low-cal veggies are your friends.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My base is 1200 cals (only 5ft tall) but I eat all my exercise calories so typically average 1400 cals a day. It IS worth considering whether 1200 is too low for you. You'll find MFP'ers believe in eating as much as possible while losing weight. It really makes this journey more manageable :)

The beginning was a little hard, especially the first few days. To help, I started a water hack - anytime I felt hungry (which was about every hour), I would drink a big glass of water. This made a big difference. A couple of weeks later, I started a workout hack - if I was starving at the end of the day, I would workout first. The two times I did this, I was not hungry afterwards.

I'm now on Week 7 and the last few days, I've been snacking on empty junk food since I have been satiated on 1000-1100 cals a day. Weird!

Also, skinnytaste.com has the BEST low cal recipes that are amazingly filling. Seriously - it has made all the difference for me.
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One thing that somebody suggested to me a while ago that really helps when I have that really hungry feeling is to drink a cup of broth. I use a low-salt beef broth, but I imagine that if you'd prefer it, veggie broth would work well too. And it's only 10 calories!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    kimyrachel wrote: »
    No wonder you are hungry :( i don't know your body statistics but you should definitely get more calories. If you don't get enough calories your body will go into a starvation mode and start storing fat. Not only this, from hunger you will definitely backfire. Please consider getting more calories but the right food! Also feel free to add me! :)

Please stop spreading this myth. 'Starvation mode' just doesn't work like that. It is something that happens when your body is literally starving, as in there is no stored fat left to burn for energy. Think of it like your laptop switching to battery-saving mode when there is very little power left. The power will drain a bit slower as the machine powers down some functions to conserve energy, but it will continue to drain power. It doesn't just stop losing power because it's not plugged in, or somehow start gaining power by magic. The term 'starvation mode' came from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, which found that men who had lost a LOT of body fat from a long period of lowered calories showed a decreased BMR. This is what the participants in 'starvation mode' looked like:

cmy7tmsam5et.jpg

You are right about the hunger though, the main reason people on too severe a deficit fail is because they are unable to stick to it and end up giving up or binging. OP, if you're hungry all the time you should either raise your calories or examine your nutrition to make sure you're getting enough protein, fat, and fiber to help you feel full :)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    double post oops
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1200/day for a couple months now (sedentary, desk job and I don't work out) and the huge help for me is eating tons of veggies. Fiber is super important at such low cals. Also making sure to drink enough water and eat enough healthy fat. The fat can be tricky with lower cals but I've lowered my complex carbs(pasta, etc) to be able to eat more healthy fats to stay fuller. I'm usually not super hungry, but if I just can't resist the urge to snack(usually I'm not actually hungry hungry but sometimes you just want a snack haha) I'll have a few carrots and hummus or cucumbers and a tiny bit of Italian dressing. It's a challenge but its doable. Veggie soups with chicken, fajitas with shrimp or chicken, zucchini noodles with mushrooms/ground beef marinara, roasted veggies, all super filling and low cal!