Drinking a gallon of water a day

Options
I just started trying to drink a gallon a day and it is hard for me. I'm not someone who drinks much in general and I never drank water before I got my diet on track. I wanted to hear from people that do drink that amount of water and what kind of benefits have you seen from doing it?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Drink to your thirst, not to an arbitrary goal. There's no scientifically proven reason for everyone to drink a gallon or 8 cups or any other standard one size fits all amount of water.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least 88 ounces of water per day. I don't think I've made it to a gallon yet in a day. I used to drink soda all day long and never drank any water before I started MFP. I now always carry a bottle with me all day long. A gallon is a lot of water in one day. I've noticed that as I have upped my water I feel a lot better throughout the day, I'm not as hungry and I get more Fitbit steps in at work making trips to the bathroom.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If I drank an entire gallon of water every day, I might as well move my office and bed to the bathroom. I probably drink half of that in various forms of liquid every day. Tea, coffee and water.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's about 3 times what's needed. No thanks.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    n8b0dt4cgova.jpg
    2.jpg 84.4K
  • martinmommy
    martinmommy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah the constant peeing is super annoying especially before bed!
  • Br3ntG
    Br3ntG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot but I know it's quite common to see that kind of advice. I drink about 2-2.5 liters (0.6 - 0.7 gallon) and am reasonably active, doing cardio and weights 6x days per week. If it's a hard session I might have an extra 600ml bottle of water but a gallon would be a stretch.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I just started trying to drink a gallon a day and it is hard for me. I'm not someone who drinks much in general and I never drank water before I got my diet on track. I wanted to hear from people that do drink that amount of water and what kind of benefits have you seen from doing it?

I think @DeguelloTex did, but this was in the summer in Texas, and he did it because he needed to, not to lose weight.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    n8b0dt4cgova.jpg

Just go by that chart. ^^^ That's how we used to measure our hydration in the Marine Corps. Super easy. I try to get to #1 (no pun intended) before lunch time.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think @DeguelloTex did, but this was in the summer in Texas, and he did it because he needed to, not to lose weight.

Yeah, the only time I drank that much water was during summer, and it wasn't hot like a Texas summer. But man was I thirsty!! Right now, sometimes I'll drink as little as two 16oz bottles of water. Still losing weight just fine. :drinker:
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I drink a whole mess of water during the day. Not sure how much exactly, but I'm fairly certain it's well over a gallon.

I tend to drink water in large chugs, so I'll generally wake up, gulp down a 16oz glass, get ready for work, gulp down another 16oz glass before leaving, get to work, gulp down a 12oz cup before sitting down, finish two more 12oz cups before my first break two hours later, finish two more 12oz cups before lunch, usually have a 12oz diet soda with lunch, finish two more 12oz cups before second break two hours after lunch, and then finishing 2-3 more 12oz cups before leaving two hours after that.

Soooo... 16 + 16 + (12 x 10) = 152oz before leaving work. I'll drink another 16oz bottle while at the gym, and probably two more 16 oz glasses after getting home also. I guess I can drink up to 200oz per day before factoring in any water I get from the rest of my diet.

I just like water... and apparently also enjoy going to the bathroom like a dozen times.
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Carry a milk jug, look at it and swig. It will get easier everyday, yes restroom frequency will increase. If you have drink cravings it will help replace those. It is a goal like other parts of getting healthier. Some run 6 miles a day, I have a goal of a gallon a day
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i only drink if i'm thirsty.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water can also be bad. It can offset your electrolytes and cause "water intoxication". If the electrolytes get disturbed too much, it call also kill you. There was a girl who died on a radio show in a water drinking competition because of that.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    We just had a thread about this, with an almost identical title, a couple of days ago.

A gallon (16 cups) might be excessive, depending on your size, activity level and the time of year. Track and see what works for you over time.

I actually need that much, at least in the summer. For me the chief benefits are:
    -avoiding dehydration and migraines (I only have to be below 10 cups/day once for this to happen, especially in hot weather)
    -drinking water or herbal tea instead of snacking on food

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yeah the constant peeing is super annoying especially before bed!

So even worse than just a pointless and arbitrary goal then!
    Maybe focus your energy on something that may actually have some benefit?
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's a myth (8 glasses of water a day) that has been debunked over and over. Just won't die.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    n8b0dt4cgova.jpg

Unless you're taking vitamins, am I right? =)
  • martinmommy
    martinmommy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I put the water down! Haha I still want to drink more water since I normally drink none, but gallon is just too much for me. I'd heard good things about drinking that much water for skin and over all health not really related to weight loss, but I'm assuming that's not a huge difference.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere between 64-100 oz of water during the week. I try to keep it between 64-80, but there are times when I'm really thirsty or have been exercising hard so I need more liquid.