Always hungry *with an example of my diet*

Options
I'm allowing myself 1437 calories a day (my tdee). I try to eat things with protein and fiber in it. Things like eggs, chicken breast, etc. I've heard this makes you feel fuller. I am 5'3 and weigh 170 pounds.

This is what I ate yesterday

Your Food Diary For:
Monday, February 15, 2016
Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
strawberry and granola yogurt, 1 serving(s) 366 64 6 16 160 33
Add Food Quick Tools 366 64 6 16 160 33
Lunch
Panera - Half Chopped Chicken Cobb Salad With Avocado, 1/2 Salad 320 7 24 21 520 1
Panera Bread - All Natural Low Fat Chicken Noodle Soup (Cup), 1 Cup 110 13 3 9 890 2
Add Food Quick Tools 430 20 27 30 1,410 3
Dinner
Homemade - Sunny Side-up Egg, 1 egg 60 0 4 5 65 0
Bread - Whole-wheat, 1 oz 70 13 1 3 149 6
Family Gourmet - Mild Cheddar Cheese Block, 1.2 oz 132 1 11 8 216 0
Add Food Quick Tools 262 15 16 16 430 6
Snacks
Generic - 1 Slice White Bread, 1 Slice 74 14 1 3 150 2
Smucker's - Concord Grape - Jelly, 0.5 Tbsp. (20g) 25 7 0 0 3 6
Hamburger Helper - Creamy Stroganoff, 0.5 cup cooked 175 15 8 12 275 4
Add Food Quick Tools 274 35 9 15 428 12

Totals 1,332 133 57 76 2,428 53
Your Daily Goal 1,487 186 50 74 2,300 45
Remaining 155 52 -6 -2 -127 -8
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
If every day were like today... You'd weigh 164.4 lbs in 5 weeks

This is just a copy paste of my diary. My diary is open for everyone to view.

Two year ago I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months. I felt amazing. It Was the first time in a long time that I was at a normal weight. I exercised often and I had a lot of will power. This time around im finding it much much harder to stay on track Any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Just a couple general comments...

What is "Strawberry and Granola Yogurt, 1 serving"? That's pretty generic, not very exact and frankly unless you'r adding a lot of granola, probably overstated in the number of calories.

You underate your goal by 155 calories yesterday - if you're hungry, there's no reason to leave calories uneaten.

I don't see exercise logged - are you currently exercising? If so, you should be eating additional calories to fuel that exercise.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That strawberry yogurt seems to have a lot of sugar calories. Try greek yogurt instead. More protein= more filling.
    Is it yoplait ? You should type the name brand in your log, not generic.
    Some granolas and yogurts are pure candy. Read those ingredients.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What's your water intake like?
  • abrazame
    abrazame Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

What is "Strawberry and Granola Yogurt, 1 serving"? That's pretty generic, not very exact and frankly unless you'r adding a lot of granola, probably overstated in the number of calories.

You underate your goal by 155 calories yesterday - if you're hungry, there's no reason to leave calories uneaten.

I don't see exercise logged - are you currently exercising? If so, you should be eating additional calories to fuel that exercise.

That is a recipe I created. I use one cup of plain non fat yogurt from walmarts great value brand (when I searched to add this ingredient it showed up as "generic non fat yogurt" I used it because the calories per serving corresponded with what is on the container.)half a cup of honey bunches of oats granola with chocolate pieces. And fpur ounces of fresh strawberries. Added all up it comes to about 365 calories (can't remember off the top of my head ). I can go and find how many calories are in each ingredient if you need me to.
  • abrazame
    Options
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    What's your water intake like?

Probably not as much as I need. I will say though, yesterday, I drank nearly two quarts because I thought this might be the problem. I was still hungry.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    you might be underestimating your TDEE. You're eating very close to your BWx8, which should be the lowest you could go according to Lyle McDonald. Maybe you need to decrease your deficit and eat more, maybe closer to 1600-1700 depending on activity and all that.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is too low. Even at the most sedentary levels, someone your height and weight is closer to 1,600 calories a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You only have a few days of consistent logging. Get into the habit of logging everything and try to hit your calorie goal. Make sure you are logging what you are eating (the numbers match those on the package, or for produce etc, the USDA database.)

My suggestions:
    Less readymeals - croquets, ramen, smart ones, lean cuisine etc., fried and/or breaded food.
    A lot less white bread, granola, candy, cheetos, poptarts, jelly, biscuits, crackers, ice cream.
    More vegetables (mostly fresh or frozen), fresh fruit, whole grains, for instance oatmeal and brown rice, and more brown than white bread, potatoes, some nuts and seeds, real homemade meals/dinners, more meat, some fish and seafood, more variety.
  • abrazame
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Your TDEE is too low. Even at the most sedentary levels, someone your height and weight is closer to 1,600 calories a day.

I used an online calculator. Are those generally inaccurate? 1,600 seems like a lot. I have about 50 pounds to lose. My goal weight is 110.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    First off, how long have you been doing this? If you just started: You're going to be hungry for awhile. You're used to consuming more than you need, so it shouldn't be a shock that you're going to feel hungry when you eat less than that. I think that's why it can be so hard. I was so hungry for the first few weeks of eating at a deficit. Then my body got used to it and I don't feel the same.

You have a lot of nutrient poor options in your logging. White bread, grape jelly, hamburger helper, cheese... these don't offer much in the way of nutrition. Nutrient density is going to affect the rate of digestion and how you feel after eating certain foods. But eating "healthy" is a process. I started by only worrying about my total calories for the day and then slowly adding more nutrient dense foods in. It helped me make this a permanent (i hope) lifestyle change as opposed to a diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    abrazame wrote: »

That is a recipe I created. I use one cup of plain non fat yogurt from walmarts great value brand (when I searched to add this ingredient it showed up as "generic non fat yogurt" I used it because the calories per serving corresponded with what is on the container.)half a cup of honey bunches of oats granola with chocolate pieces. And fpur ounces of fresh strawberries. Added all up it comes to about 365 calories (can't remember off the top of my head ). I can go and find how many calories are in each ingredient if you need me to.

I have something similar for a bed time snack, but I use rolled oats instead of granola. I couldn't have it for breakfast because it doesn't provide enough protein to keep me full.

Another thing that helps keep me full is fiber - could you temporarily swap your Sodium or Sugar count for Fiber? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • abrazame
    Options
    Anyone want to comment on my lunch for today?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to comment on my lunch for today?

Hard to "judge" just one meal :p Looks alright, but lots of eggs, and don't you miss starch?
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What helped me in the first few weeks as I adjusted to eating a whole lot less was to focus primarily on low cal foods that filled me up. I stayed away from higher cal, less filling (to me) stuff like bread and pastas although I still had 1/2 cup of white rice regularly. (A must in my house lol!)

Focus on food that you find filling and stay away from the others until your body adjusts. Veggies in particular are very filling for very few cals. I have never eaten zucchini but have discovered a new love for zucchini and eggplant. Still don't like most leafy veggies though so that's a no go for me :) Soups are another favourite for me.

The first week or two I did feel hungry...until my body adjusted and I am rarely hungry now.

Also, Skinnytaste.com is AMAZING for low cal recipes that are filling and taste phenomenal. So many things that I normally wouldn't like..I have fallen in love with. Every single recipe I have tried so far is a winner. She rocks!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I used an online calculator. Are those generally inaccurate? 1,600 seems like a lot. I have about 50 pounds to lose. My goal weight is 110.

I think the confusion here is that when you say you are eating at TDEE people think that is your maintainence number (that's what TDEE is) Your calorie goal would be very low for a maintainence number. I'm assuming you are eating at a deficit so you are eating at less than TDEE. I'm assuming you came to your calorie goal by using a TDEE calculator and picking a weight loss per week goal.

I find it really hard to read the info as listed so it's really hard togive advice.
    But I do know that low fat yogurt does NOTHING for me, even Greek yogurt with higher protein. I switched up from low fat to a higher fat and found it kept me fuller. Same thing with granola and stuff.

Try playing with different macro intakes. For me, higher protein meals with some fat and less carbs keep me fuller. I am by no means low carb nor am I saying they are bad, I am merely talking satiety.
  • abrazame
    Options

I think the confusion here is that when you say you are eating at TDEE people think that is your maintainance number (that's what TDEE is) Your calorie goal would be very low for a maintainance number. I'm assuming you are eating at a deficit so you are eating at less than TDEE. I'm assuming you came to god calorie goal by using a TDEE calculator and picking a weight loss per week goal.

I find it really hard to read the info as listed so it's really hard togive advice.
    But I do know that low fat yogurt does NOTHING for me, even Greek yogurt with higher protein. I switched up from low fat to a higher fat and found it kept me fuller. Same thing with granola and stuff.

Try playing with different macro intakes. For me, higher protein meals with some fat and less carbs keep me fuller. I am by no means low carb nor am I saying they are bad, I am merely talking satiety.

Your BMR is: 1510 Calories/Day
    Your TDEE is: 1978 Calories/Day
    You are right. My mistake.