Does anyone have an office job and go work out on your lunch

Options
i have a very flexible job. i basically make my own hours. I sit at a desk ALL day , and while I love my job, i hate how I feel during, and after work. I'm lethargic and blah. I was thinking about doing a class on my lunch hour since it's not super strict on how long i go for lunch.

Does anyone else do this? Do you find that you feel gross the rest of the day?

Replies

• GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh, andi'm about 5 miles from the gym- and i work in the country so there's no traffic. (just to get a sense of hwo far it is.)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My wife does during the week, she works at home at a desk and goes to the gym m-f
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I go do a spin class or Cross Fit class on my lunch hour and eat when I get back...
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    I workout before work and then get a shower in before I come in. We have a gym at my building and it works out great. It wakes me up in the mornimg and I feel like I got my workout out of the way. If your hours are flexible you could try that.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch hour almost daily. Sometimes I'll run around the track outside if it's not too hot, go to the gym, or do a workout app in a spare empty office. I always shower afterwards so no I don't feel gross. I feel great!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I say go for it! I would LOVE to be able to do that. I only have 1/2 hour for lunch and they are super strict. I have a hard time getting throught the afternoons and know that a workout would give me my second wind.
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but I just can't fit it in - I only have an hour and would need to shower and sort my hair out. There's a pool across the road but I know I'd never get there and back in time
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have an office job too, but can't leave to make it to the gym on my lunch. (I work a flexible schedule but I only take a 30 minute lunch so I can leave early) I usually walk around the building (either outside or in the basement) on my break and I've started keeping a 10 pound hand weight at my desk. It seems silly, but you'd be amazed at how much weight lifting you can fit in while you're reading or doing other daily activities at your desk. Good luck!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I too have an office job, and I either go to Curves or take a good walk on my breaks. I thought at first I'd wind up feeling 'icky' all day; and it kept me from getting some activity in through the work day for a while... but once I started i realized what a mistake I was making. I now return form lunch a little sweaty, yea... but there are only a few hours left the afternoon by that point, and the positive energetic feeling I return with makes it all worth it. Not only that, but I find getting out mid-day and working out makes my afternoon feel less 'blah', the time passes faster, and I feel more energetic buy the end of the day. It really really does help kill the 'blahs', go try it! :)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am in the same scenario. I don't take a class on my lunch break but that might be a good idea. We have a yoga place not too far away from the office... :-) For me, I just try to cut my lunch break in half. I spend 30 minutes enjoying whatever I brought to eat, and the other 30 minutes I try to spend just walking around the area. These days I do it so often I don't even add it in as additional exercise because it's so much a part of my routine.
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I spend the majority of my lunchtime just taking a brisk walk, it shakes off the office and burns off some calories but doesn`t result in me feeling nasty for the rest of the day.
  • ddd470
    ddd470 Posts: 1
    Options
    I workout during my lunch hour. I take pilates, so I don't get really sweaty, but if I am feeling gross I just pull my hair up into a bun and hope into the shower for about three minutes. This way I don't have to totally redo hair and makeup, but I feel refreshed.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i run on my lunch and usually outside, i have baby wipes that i clean up with and baby powder. i also completely change my clothes before i work out so my work clothes are not all sweaty... i dont feel nasty but its different for everyone i am sure.
  • bob_t
    bob_t Posts: 12
    Options
    I work out (and shower) most days during lunch. The gym is right across the street from my office. I think it's a great way to break up the day. Work about 4 hours....go to the gym for about 90 minutes...work another 4 hours...done for the day!
  • ty79
    ty79 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't "work-out" at lunch but I go for a 45-60 minute fast walk everyday that I'm able. I've been doing this for years. I usually feel great afterwards. I find if I don't get out I have a terrible headache and am nauseated at the end of the day. Take whatever time you can and enjoy.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I do it three or four times a week. With kids and two working parents sometimes it's the only time I have to workout in a day.

I either do a *kitten*'s bath (teehee) or jump in the shower SUPER quickly before dashing back to work. I drive back to my office with the windows down so by the time I get back (it's about a mile away) I feel fresh from the breeze and ready to tackle the afternoon. They should really thank me for it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I only get an hour so I keep trainers in my desk drawer and go for a 30-45 min fast walk. I torched 236 calories in 34 mins today and went back to work feeling energised despite only getting for hours' sleep last night!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I do it! I'm lucky that we have a gym facility right here on our campus at work. So, I use my lunch hour to hit the gym for my strength training. I start work at 6:30am and try to be at the gym at 10:30 before the lunch crowd comes. I love it! I still feel like I'm getting that early a.m. workout in and feel energized for the rest of my day.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday during my lunch break. I get gross and sweaty, but i wipe down with baby wipes, put on some fresh deoderant and body spray and Im good to go. I shower first thing when I get home!
  • Tash_Bgosh
    Tash_Bgosh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I go in the morning since the afternoon is too crowded. My gym is in my office building. In terms of feeling gross, lets just say you wont look/feel how you did when you left for work but so what. If your on a mission and have time to go during the day i say do it.