Eating back calories? Yay or Nay?

Options
I feel as though if I eat back the calories I burnt - I'm going nowhere. Do you eat back your calories if you workout? Is it recommended?

I'm 5'2 140lbs and I'm trying to stick to a 1300-1400 a day calorie intake. But when I type in my workouts then I end up eating/drinking back some calories I burnt at the gym in addition.

What about you?
Has eating back your calories worked for you or worked against you?

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I eat back most of my exercise calories. I aim for a net calorie intake between 1200 and 1300 calories (daily goal is set to 1300).

I'd say it has worked for me as I've lost 41.6 lbs since January. That means I average out slightly higher than my target goal of 1.5lbs/week.

If you have a very very small deficit, though, you have to be really diligent about measuring both calories burned and calories eaten. A tiny error is much more significant when your deficit is 250 cals or less (0.5 lbs/week loss).
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, yes. i eat them back.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you search the forum for "exercise calories" you'll find hundreds of other threads with good (and bad) advice.

Just do what you think it right for you.
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options
    I have only been using this site for a week and I as well eat back my calories...... sometimes I have 100 left or so but I think it works because my first week here I have already lost 4.1 lb!!!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if I'm hungry. Otherwise, I let them go. Mind you, most of the time I only burn off one or two hundred, which isn't much anyway. Listen to your body and try to stick to natural foods like fruits and veggies.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This question is asked several times a day...this is from yesterday and has a very good explanation that will clear things up for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/268034-do-you-eat-your-extra-exercise-calories?page=1#posts-3546989
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I try to eat back my exercise calories and I've been consistently losing and NOT feeling starved or deprived. I've even had a few way over the top splurge days without much harm.
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    As long as you are eating back healthy calories then you are doing the right thing!
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I only eat them if I'm starving other than that, no.
  • chris_elizabeth
    chris_elizabeth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yess! Eat back the calories! Your body now needs energy to get through the day ... You don't need to eat all the net calories, but add an extra healthy meal if your hungry! Egg whites, chicken, something like that, just make sure your taking in GOOD calories with low fats and not high!
    I have been doing this since I started and it works! Note I am not a professional but from research and my own experiences this is what I have come to terms with!
  • Jeana81
    Jeana81 Posts: 5
    Options
    I was unsure about that also. After some research and talking with others, I decided to let my hunger be my guide. That is, if at the end of the day I am not hungry then I don't worry about the earned calories. I just try to be sure I have had enough protein so I am not starving my muscles. Some days, I am hungry so I do eat within my earned calorie credit. Again, i just let my body guide me. It is working so far, in a week I am down just over a pound.
    :happy: