Lose weight /High blood pressure Need Low Sodium suggestions

2»

Replies

• farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Anything with my normal amount of salt tastes too salty to me now. I've been on the low salt salt diet for 4 monthes now.

^This.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Read nutrition labels, simple.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    About 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. My Dr. wanted me to try a low sodium (1500 mg) before starting any meds. All my life I always had very low BP. I stayed within the range he told me and it still didn't drop. Just started meds.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    It's not the salt ON food that you have to worry about, it's the salt IN food (others have alluded to this very same thing).

Example: a medium order of McDonald's fries has 190 mg of sodium; a tablespoon of ketchup has 160 (and how many people use only 1 tablespoon of ketchup for an order of fries?)

a serving of Lays potato chips has 180 mg of sodium, a serving of jello instant chocolate pudding has 310.

as a pp said, read those nutrition labels!
  • fh10003
    fh10003 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you!
  • djackel93
    djackel93 Posts: 3 Member
    My BP went down by switching to a primal diet...no restriction of salt. Don't know if this is an option for you but my body's inability to properly handle carbs was ccaisong my insulin to raise my BP.