How to get out of a 'funk'?

Options
MalindaLeigh714
MalindaLeigh714 Posts: 214 Member
Hey guys, from time to time I get in a funk. No particular reason, at least not consciously, and I never know how long it'll last until it's over. Point is, does this ever happen to you? And if it does, is there anything you've done to get out of it quicker?

Replies

• Muzak1
    Muzak1 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes. Usually a supportive friend that lends an ear or shares a funny story is just enough tonic to get me going and out of it. I am trying hard to stay committed to WL program and recently went back to lifting. That seems to have made them less frequent - especially when you get some positive reinforcement with progress.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It happens to me a lot too and I usually have to just ride it out. Music can help. G-Eazy un-funks me for some reason.
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Family, friends, music, quiet alone time, long drives, reading, shopping and fishing all help turn things around for me when I'm in a funk. I pick one and go with it...if it doesn't work, I switch it up.
  • Muzak1
    Options
    Nice to hear others talk about.
  • negotiatoruk835
    negotiatoruk835 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is a funk ?
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    That happens to me occasionally. The best way to help me is to simply stay the heck out of my way while I ride the storm alone, thank you very much.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It absolutely happens to me too. Depending on how funk'ed or funky it is, I'll force myself to go to a fitness class (yoga is a favourite), have a bubble bath and a tea or glass of wine and try again the next day. Reach out to friends you know you'll have a good time with and try and forget for a little while.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, I'll have what I consider bouts of melancholy. It's not necessarily that I feel depressed because I don't really feel sad, but it's a state where it's easy for me to feel things are futile, won't work out, etc. (I sometimes call it "coming down with a case of why bothers".)

As far as getting out of it, one of the first things I do is ask myself when I last ate because low blood sugar seems to be *one* of the causes (especially if my mind doesn't have something to focus on). I stress that it's only one because there are times when it isn't, and eating to try to improve my mood wouldn't be good if that's not the cause. If it's been a long time since I ate, I'll have a snack or take my meals earlier and see if that helps.

If I have eaten recently or getting something in my stomach doesn't help, I might try to get up and move, even if it's just walking around the block.

Something else that helps me is my dog. Having her around prevents me from drowning in my own thoughts (a real hazard when I'm on my own). She gives me something else that's interactive and that I can focus on. Plus, it's hard to remain in a deep funk with a 60-lb Mali trying to climb in my lap and roll over for belly rubs.

What really helps me, however, was when I gave my life permission to be sucky. I accepted that there are going to be days and times that will not be happy and some may be genuinely bad. And I accepted that that was okay. And that acceptance helps keep me from feeling bad that I'm feeling bad.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I walk. There is a 40 mile loop called the Springwater Trail near my home. Beautiful scenery. I'll take a walk. Probably go about 6 miles. It's peaceful, relaxing, quiet. By the time I'm finished, I have had plenty of time to cogitate on what's bothering me. It also gives me time to reflect on what's important in my life. Mainly my wife and girls. Sometimes I take a couple good cigars with me. By the time I get back home I have put things in perspective.

It works every time. Keeps me off freeway overpasses with a rifle.
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I'm in one right now and it's never a good feeling because it does affect everything around you. I try to keep busy with things that usually helps.
  • Muzak1
    Options
    i977jiu80h5b.jpg

Like this at least through the long weekend. Just need to stay mentally tough.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just change up my rotine a bit. Their are time I just force myself to go and do it,
  • PLTNM_INC
    PLTNM_INC Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hop on your moped and head downtown, that uptown funk you up
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ejinvt wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for me, it's like I am in a constant state of "funk" (and no, not the Uptown type). Problem is, I typically treat this state of mind with food, thereby perpetuating the situation. Once in a while I am able to focus to the point of action, but have trouble sustaining it. I guess my point is, if you're doing what you want and need to do for your health MOST of the time, and occasionally fall into a "funk", that's okay. Consider yourself not only normal, but lucky. Don't let yourself feel guilty about it. Just accept it and try and move on from it. You've got this!

Now...to work on taking some of my own advice...sigh.

Constant state of funk right here, too. I fake it through life most of the time.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I drink beer, that usually helps
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I used to do that as well until I realized I didn't want a crutch anymore
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options

I used to do that as well until I realized I didn't want a crutch anymore

Everything is a crutch, though. Even something like exercise can be a crutch if you only do it to get yourself out of a funk. Some crutches are healthier than others, admittedly, but if you prop yourself up on it, it's a crutch.
  • Muzak1
    Options
    Hate my phone. Just devistated.
  • Muzak1
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Comes and goes. Try to be supportive but it would be nice if once in a blue moon those you try to support and care about reach out and initiate conversations