Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    So how does water make you poop?

It hydrates you and keeps things "moving."
    If you are dehydrated your bowels will soak up all the water out of the food you ingest causing it to become hard. Then you're constipated.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Texeira11 wrote: »
    Yes i do try to avoid fat, now i will eat more than usual thank you @AmyRhubarb

Don't be afraid of fat! Fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do. We NEED some fat in our diets, this whole fat-free phase is a thing of the past, and has had many of us bamboozled for far too long. It's good for the brain, helps us feel full and satiated, and can help in the "plumbing department"! I have been around here for several years, and this is a very common post from a lot of new users, people starting a new way of eating and cutting way too much fat from their diets.

Personally, I'd start eating some raw nuts, avocados, adding olive and coconut oils, butter, full fat Greek yogurt and things like that before taking the laxatives. Coffee or hot tea in the morning can also help get things moving. And if you tend to be a cold water drinker, try going for room temp, at least until you get past this - warmer liquids are said to be better to get things moving. Best of luck to you - being in that condition is no fun!
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought a squatty potty and really love it. It's a little embarassing at first to tell people that, but it has made a huge difference for myself and my SO. I recommend it, if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My aunt swears that too much fiber can cause constipation. I went on a high fiber/low fat diet once and she insisted I was going to get a bowel obstruction.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

If you are dehydrated your bowels will soak up all the water out of the food you ingest causing it to become hard. Then you're constipated.

Hmm good to know thanks! But how would you know if your dehydrated or not drinking wnough
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Hmm good to know thanks! But how would you know if your dehydrated or not drinking wnough

There's a urine color chart floating around here somewhere. Basically as long as it's clear to very light yellow you're properly hydrated.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Ummm...I usually get thirsty and if I'm dehydrated my lips are dry, my pee turns dark yellow, and my skin loses its elasticity. But, I'm sure you already know these things.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

Don't be afraid of fat! Fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do. We NEED some fat in our diets, this whole fat-free phase is a thing of the past, and has had many of us bamboozled for far too long. It's good for the brain, helps us feel full and satiated, and can help in the "plumbing department"! I have been around here for several years, and this is a very common post from a lot of new users, people starting a new way of eating and cutting way too much fat from their diets.

Personally, I'd start eating some raw nuts, avocados, adding olive and coconut oils, butter, full fat Greek yogurt and things like that before taking the laxatives. Coffee or hot tea in the morning can also help get things moving. And if you tend to be a cold water drinker, try going for room temp, at least until you get past this - warmer liquids are said to be better to get things moving. Best of luck to you - being in that condition is no fun!

Cosigned- fat does not make you fat.
    A calorie deficit causes weight gain.
    Don't be afraid to eat fats op !
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Ummm...I usually get thirsty and if I'm dehydrated my lips are dry, my pee turns dark yellow, and my skin loses its elasticity. But, I'm sure you already know these things.

Ummm...well good for you
  • trishftx
    trishftx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try drinking warm water with lemon. First thing in the morning is best.
  • srossomano
    srossomano Posts: 2 Member
    Options

@Texeria11 - I had a friend who decided to go "Fat-Free Atkins"... Pretty much no carbs and no fat (this is not what Atkins was intended for). She had "stomach issues" and the doctor took an x-ray. She could see on the x-ray how backed up she was. He told her that what she was doing was dangerous (not enough fat) and could have caused her real problems later. She took the weekend to do a "clean-out" and lost 10 pounds (yes, that is not an exaggeration). So, the moral of the story is to be sure to eat the right combination of food.

Also - I notice that sometimes when I eat the right stuff and not a lot of junk, my body uses more of it and I "go" less... But if you are having constipation problems, as embarrassing as it may feel, taking to your doctor would be the best route.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm doing much better than I used to, and yes, it's because I added fats back into my diet. When it's been 'too long', I have a small bag of pistachios and it really helps. And, just a sidenote... and this is weird, but.... I was looking at a catalog of specialty items for senior citizens (for my mother! I may almost be old enough to qualify, but I don't consider myself one yet thank you very much), and they had something to help someone sit 'properly' on the toilet. Basically - lean forward to pee, backwards for other stuff. Oh, and skip the nasty laxatives and go with a stool softener. MUCH kinder and just as efficient.

(wondering if I can post this anonymously LOL) :blush:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My aunt swears that too much fiber can cause constipation. I went on a high fiber/low fat diet once and she insisted I was going to get a bowel obstruction.

Too much fiber can definitely cause constipation. Fats help keep things oiled and moving. Fiber for bulk, water for softness, fat for movement. :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options

IME, it can be a problem to get lots of fiber but not enough water. At one point, I had IBS/C symptoms & my doc had me take a fiber supplement. Seriously Did. Not. Help. Bigtime. (I've been vegetarian for decades. I was already getting plenty of fiber!)

By experimentation, I learned my system is very picky about getting enough water. Back to OP's larger question: With enough fiber, other things that help are water, fat, and (again, IME) exercise.

Besides helping avoid constipation, you want to be getting some healthy fat with your food - some vitamins require fat in order for your body to absorb them best. Don't be afraid to get healthy fats!
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Pear nectar really works for my son, who also struggles with this issue.