My story

Options
Hi everybody,

My name is Asha and I'm 19. I weigh 126 kg and I'm 5'6. I'm significantly overweight. I'm also pre-diabetic and I do have slight high blood pressure. My doctor suggested I do exercise and cut down my daily intake of calories to 1000. I haven't been finding it hard with the calories, just with keeping positive about the diabetes. I guess I just want support and positivity that will keep me going. I want to be healthy for me, and set an example. Plus I'm tired of being "chubby".. I'm open to suggestions on how to lose weight and exercise.

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hi Asha! First of all I'm no medical professional, but don't let the prediabetes and slightly elevated bp get to you too much. As long as you've decided to make a change now for the better you can most likely beat this before it takes hold. Some determination and will power will get the job done.

What is your current activity level? I use pounds not kilograms but if my calculations are correct it seems your bmr is around 2085. I'm a little shocked your doctor suggested a 1000 calorie diet.
  • zcassel
    zcassel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Asha,

My father was 300 lbs back when I was a teen, he moved from Washington to California and started walking. Just walk, put on some music, walk with a friend, but walk for 20 minutes a day. My dad went from walking 20 minutes a day, to three walks a day, and within two months he was walking marathons. I'll have you know he also lost 80 lbs in the process. My father is also diabetic so I totally know where you're at, it's very manageable.

I can't build you a thousand calorie diet, that's insanity for me, but it seems like you've got it covered. I'm trying to go from nearly 210 lbs to 185 and I'm eating 1650 kcal/day, 1000 seems absurd. I agree with Cynsonya, that's a shocking and rather disconcerting that he'd recommend that. Whatever you have to do in order to will yourself into the right space, know that you've got thousands of people here to push you toward your goal and support you along the way. You got it :smile:!

Zac
  • brandynbongo
    brandynbongo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1000 calories seems a little drastic!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor and a nutritionist
  • ashantimartin27
    ashantimartin27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I know it's crazy, but I understand where he is coming from. He wants to kick start my weight loss drastically. And I'm about 260 pounds. I do exercise about 3 times a week. And I walk every where. I'm gong to start talking the stairs at school rather than taking the elevator. Also I want to say thank you so much for all the support, it means a whole lot to me.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've had a doctor put me on 1000 calories before, and it was... dramatic and painful and it didn't work (because I had undiagnosed hypothyroid...) but that's beside the point. As long as your doctor is monitoring you carefully and is responsive to your issues (headaches, exhaustion, muscle fatigue), give it a try. Once you're weight gets a little lower, he'll up your intake.
    As to the blood pressure? I spent three years with my doctor telling me to cut out sodium, (I did the math when i came to MFP and have been under the Daily Rec of sodium by about 1000 mg). Then I started walking to lose weight. I started with 20 minutes around the neighborhood, now I do 6 miles on my 'long' days, and 4 miles on my 'short fast' days. And my blood pressure? 2/3rds of my weekly readings are in the 'normal range' with the most common reading being in the 115/69 range. :)
    You can do this! Just keep counting what you eat and walking a little more every day and you'll see a big difference soon!
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would say chose exercises that work for you (if you don't like something you may kick yourself in the butt and do it for a couple of weeks but eventually you will stop doing it), figure out your weaknesses (e.g., binging on sweets or crisps, stress eating, absent minded eating, etc...) then try to address them.

Log what you eat (get a digital scale and weigh everything) and be realistic about your goals and calorie intake. Again if your diet is too restrictive you are likely to abandon the entire process, might be better to go slower but to stick with it.

Hope that helps
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How often is he monitoring your caloric intake? Are you going to visit him regularly?
  • ashantimartin27
    ashantimartin27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My next appointment with him is in a few weeks. He has been monitoring often and I have been logging everything and it was actually his idea. I'm going to try walking, although it's freezing here I'm Canada.