Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D)

Options
Hi guys, my name is Justine and I have been struggling with BED for a couple months now. I binge frequently and it is really starting to be a problem. I gained 13 pounds recently. I am at a very healthy weight but I am worried that if I continue to binge, it will cause more weight gain and problems with my health. I tend to eat little snacks throughout the day in attempt to control my eating but I feel like as soon as I'm alone and bored at home, I just binge until I'm uncomfortably full. I don't feel anxious about anything or even hungry, I just feel the need to eat as much as I can. Does anybody have any tips to help me control my binges? I feel like I lose control. I will be talking to a health professional soon but I would like some tips until then :) Thank you so much.

Replies

• motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are no tips. There is prescription Vyvanse though. The end.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Ask your health professional for a referral to a program that incorporates cognitive behavioural therapy. This approach allows you to analyze your urges and put healthier options in place.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    meryl135 wrote: »
    Ask your health professional for a referral to a program that incorporates cognitive behavioural therapy. This approach allows you to analyze your urges and put healthier options in place.

Gr8 advice bro. Really.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Don't think of you as being on a diet, that could trigger you to binge more. Stay active. Change your environment to people who will help you through this, not people who would be negative. An eating disorder is the most deadliest thing anyone can go through. Which is why if you have this disorder you must reach out for help.
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Brain over Binge - try that book. I just heard about it and the theory in it is helping me....it empashizes your body/brain is trying to re-feed and get the nutrients you restricted in the past. If you've dieted or restricted without filling up on healthy whole foods like fruits and veggies and fiber, your body could be missing out on those nutrients and sending the signal to eat eat eat. Are you bingeing on snacks and junk? Or healthy foods? Have you restricted in the past?

I committed to healthy daily breakfast with fiber so I feel fuller AND half my body weight in Ounces of water daily to help stay fuller too. Reaching for more veggies now too. And also not buying certain temptations/habit foods at the store anymore. Haven't binged yet today and I feel great! It's a process, take it a day at a time. I truly feel like this will help me and
    Hope this helps you too, xo
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and always have had it (and probably always will!) i have learned to try not to feel too bad after a binge and put it behind me, and also to accept that setbacks are part of life. It is worse if you are on a very restrictive diet, your body just rebels and makes you crave everything you have denied it! I wish I could binge on healthy foods, but it is always the worst junk- really best if you don't keep it in the house, if I have it I will eventually eat it..! Feel free to add me if you like :-)
  • akumal987
    akumal987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips, but I am also struggling with binge type behaviors....feel free to add me!!!
  • GetMeTo125
    GetMeTo125 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling and the weight has really piled on. It is not every day..I feel so in control on the days I don't and so sad and bad when I do. I have found the days I track everything through mfp, I don't binge. I binge now when I don't record so my intention is to track before I eat so I stay in control.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    faelight wrote: »
    Brain over Binge - try that book. I just heard about it and the theory in it is helping me....it empashizes your body/brain is trying to re-feed and get the nutrients you restricted in the past. If you've dieted or restricted without filling up on healthy whole foods like fruits and veggies and fiber, your body could be missing out on those nutrients and sending the signal to eat eat eat. Are you bingeing on snacks and junk? Or healthy foods? Have you restricted in the past?

I committed to healthy daily breakfast with fiber so I feel fuller AND half my body weight in Ounces of water daily to help stay fuller too. Reaching for more veggies now too. And also not buying certain temptations/habit foods at the store anymore. Haven't binged yet today and I feel great! It's a process, take it a day at a time. I truly feel like this will help me and
    Hope this helps you too, xo

I heard of that book? Any places sell it at a decently cheap price?
  • escotech2883
    escotech2883 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    @Thin_Beauty94 if you find out let me know as i also have this problem and would love to read this book. Good luck to all of you as well. It sucks but little by little i believe we can conquer it
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    @Thin_Beauty94 if you find out let me know as i also have this problem and would love to read this book. Good luck to all of you as well. It sucks but little by little i believe we can conquer it

Maybe Amazon may have it
  • jenrose1010
    jenrose1010 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just started vyvanse 60mg and I have to say I feel amazing. it is working even better than phentermine did! I am even doing better at work, I've gotten so much done today!! I can't wait to see what it does to help with my weight.
  • sidspirtational
    sidspirtational Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad problem with binging too. I was so scared to do anything about it but then I came across the fact that a medication called Vyvanse is used to treat Binge Eating Disorder. I went to talk to my doctor about it and it was the scariest thing that I've ever done. But, she prescribed me vyvanse and it has honestly changed my life. I barley ever think about binging and when I do the urges aren't nearly the same. I have more energy because I am not constantly obsessing about food and I haven't binged in a month. My doctor hadn't heard that Vyvanse was approved to treat BED so I actually printed out the study provided and she was really open to it. Books are good and I have read many of them but this medication helps me put them into practice without the crazy thinking.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love how supportive and kind these posts are. Such a stigma associated with BED...and so many suffer.
  • Annabinoid
    Annabinoid Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I personally had a bad experience with Vyvanse but I had some good success with Welbutrin. Realistically though medication is a band-aid for a problem that needs to be dealt with through therapy too. I highly recommended CBT.
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Agreed, cog behavioral therapy is best bet. Have to figure out the cue and reward loop that is driving your binges. Sometimes it's hard to admit that we do actually have emotions behind the binge, we're stuffing to avoid those emotions in the first place.
    In my opinion medication is just another avoidance tactic. Sometimes you need a short term crutch, but your goal should be getting off meds and staying healthy. Psychometric do damage to your body and mind long term.